Browns Creek TH to access Antero

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
jrbren_vt
14ers: 14 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (2)

Browns Creek TH to access Antero

Post by jrbren_vt »

Hi, Does anyone know the status of this trailhead ?
https://www.14ers.com/php14ers/trailhea ... hparm=sw13

Google Maps on my desk top says it takes a little over 2 hours to drive to from Colorado Springs, which is what I would expect. My iphone google maps says 3:40 and I have to walk (but only 1:50 to get to nearby Johnson Village). Did the access to this trailhead get washed out ? Which is right ? I don't see any status for 2022 in the above link. I have a Subaru XTrek, no 4WD.
Best Regards
montanahiker
14ers: 38 
13ers: 185
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Browns Creek TH to access Antero

Post by montanahiker »

The most recent AllTrails report from 4 days ago doesn't mention anything.
There's more to life than 14ers. There are 13ers.
seeking timberline
14ers: 23 
Trip Reports (4)

Post by seeking timberline »

It should be fine. The road isn't that steep so there's low risk for erosion and the rain we've had in the Sawatch, although frequent, has been fairly light.
Outbounder
14ers: 52 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Outbounder »

I made it there in a Prius July 16th so unless it's seriously deteriorated over the last month any car should be able to access it.
jrbren_vt
14ers: 14 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (2)

Post by jrbren_vt »

Thanks for the replies, sounds like an issue with the maps that my iPhone has access to. I will plan on a 2+ hour drive.
Best Regards
kmonson
14ers: 47  1 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by kmonson »

I just hiked Antero from Browns Creek this past Sunday and agree with Outbounder almost any car should be fine getting to the trailhead. Once I turned on to 270 from 285 it was an easy 15-20 minute drive to the trailhead.