La Plata Peak Dispersed Camping

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
caverbob
Trip Reports (0)

Re: La Plata Peak Dispersed Camping

Post by caverbob »

Camping is NOT permitted at the La Plata Peak Trailhead (though it is obvious that many people have in the past). Signs there clearly state that camping there is prohibited. Camping is available 1.6 miles down FR 391/399, past the sign that indicates the end of private property and the beginning of Forest Service property. This would also be an alternative parking spot if the trailhead lot (which only holds about a dozen cars) is full. But parking here would add about 3 miles to your round trip mileage. Any car with reasonably high clearance should be able to make it down this road if you are careful and if it is dry. 8/19/2020
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

Sorry to be a downer, but I strongly suggest not having a fire while camping at this point in time, regardless of whether an invisible county boundary has a fire ban on one side and none on the other. Colorado and the rest of the west do NOT need more wildfires this year. A long time ago I used to be someone who had to have a campfire, but no longer. They're great when absolutely safe, but I could care less about having one anymore due to the extreme risk. Sorry for the lecture, but I feel folks should really consider this.

In July I did La Plata from the southern route, and I suggest using that area as better camping options. The road past Winfield is a bit rough, but you don't have to go all the way up to the actual TH where it is quite rougher. It's only roughly a quarter mile up the last part to the actual TH that is rough. You can camp in that area a quarter mile or so away from the TH. Full disclosure: La Plata's southern route does have a very annoying short section of steep and loose rock as you climb out of the basin before heading over to the summit section. Nothing too dangerous - just take it carefully and try to stay on your feet. Highly recommend hiking poles for this. Other than that, great and beautiful route. Have fun, and please be safe!
davebks
14ers: 10 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (3)

Post by davebks »

Hi, how did this work out. I am going up on Sunday and the two campgrounds near the lakes are booked. So I will be looking for dispersed w my pop up camper most likely.

thanks!
climbingcue
14ers: 58  8  27 
13ers: 317 21 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbingcue »

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/39.0690 ... !3e0?hl=en

Camp here, there is room for a number of cars and it has been great the two times I have stayed there.

Bill
Consecutive months with at least one 13er or 14er, 72 months
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

Nice camping spots on the Independence side too. The huge 2019 avalanche removed a few of them.
two lunches
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (0)

Post by two lunches »

greenonion wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:49 am Sorry to be a downer, but I strongly suggest not having a fire while camping at this point in time, regardless of whether an invisible county boundary has a fire ban on one side and none on the other. Colorado and the rest of the west do NOT need more wildfires this year. A long time ago I used to be someone who had to have a campfire, but no longer. They're great when absolutely safe, but I could care less about having one anymore due to the extreme risk. Sorry for the lecture, but I feel folks should really consider this.
i would like to piggyback on this. please skip the fires from memorial day through labor day, unless it is an emergency.

also, if you're not married to the standard route, there are a bajillion dispersed campsites around winfield.
“To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” – Mary Davis
notacairn
Trip Reports (0)

Post by notacairn »

do I need high clearance to access these spots? Taking a Mazda CX-5. thanks!
notacairn
Trip Reports (0)

Post by notacairn »

notacairn wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:46 am do I need high clearance to access these spots? Taking a Mazda CX-5. thanks!
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/39.0690 ... !3e0?hl=en
robertdao
14ers: 9 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by robertdao »

stephakett wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:36 am
greenonion wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:49 am Sorry to be a downer, but I strongly suggest not having a fire while camping at this point in time, regardless of whether an invisible county boundary has a fire ban on one side and none on the other. Colorado and the rest of the west do NOT need more wildfires this year. A long time ago I used to be someone who had to have a campfire, but no longer. They're great when absolutely safe, but I could care less about having one anymore due to the extreme risk. Sorry for the lecture, but I feel folks should really consider this.
i would like to piggyback on this. please skip the fires from memorial day through labor day, unless it is an emergency.

also, if you're not married to the standard route, there are a bajillion dispersed campsites around winfield.
How's the road getting out there to the south trail head for something like a 1st gen Honda Pilot? Looks like a much more enjoyable route than the standard.
two lunches
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (0)

Post by two lunches »

robertdao wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 3:44 pm How's the road getting out there to the south trail head for something like a 1st gen Honda Pilot? Looks like a much more enjoyable route than the standard.
truthfully it’s been a few years (and several avalanches) since i was riding up there in a stock silverado but i remember my only problem being that it didn’t seem super intuitive to find the trailhead. to be fair, it was getting dark and i wasn’t driving, but the road itself i don’t recall being more than a pilot could handle. i hope someone else chimes in here!
“To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” – Mary Davis
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

stephakett wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:15 pm
robertdao wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 3:44 pm How's the road getting out there to the south trail head for something like a 1st gen Honda Pilot? Looks like a much more enjoyable route than the standard.
truthfully it’s been a few years (and several avalanches) since i was riding up there in a stock silverado but i remember my only problem being that it didn’t seem super intuitive to find the trailhead. to be fair, it was getting dark and i wasn’t driving, but the road itself i don’t recall being more than a pilot could handle. i hope someone else chimes in here!
I’m of the same thought as steph. Don’t remember lots of details other than somewhat rough and a pilot ought to make it going slowly. However the last 2/10 or 3/10 mile or so to the actual TH is NOT GOOD FOR A HONDA PILOT. Park lower from TH before it becomes too rough. There is better room for cars in this lower area. You’ll F up the Honda going that little bit higher to TH proper. Give a pm holler if I can make better sense otherwise