Maroon Bells 4WD Dispersed Camping

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
atalarico
14ers: 16  2 
13ers: 22
Trip Reports (5)

Re: Maroon Bells 4WD Dispersed Camping

Post by atalarico »

fahixson wrote:Castle Creek Rd turns to dirt at 12.5 miles from the roundabout. It's past Ashcroft and I think it's even labeled Castle Creek TH on Google Maps. There are 6 or 7 designated/numbered campsites below the creek crossing. The first 3-4 of those you may be able to get to in a regular car. The last couple, I'd definitely recommend somewhere around 8" clearance minimum and I'd say no shot crossing the creek in a regular passenger car. I think crossing and road in general is much worse than it was 6-8 years ago. There are numerous dispersed sites after crossing the creek. I drove a Rouge to the creek crossing twice last month but didn't feel comfortable going through it and stopped at the last site before the crossing. A Golf would not have made it that far but probably a good shot at getting to sites 1 or 2 unless they're already full.

As for camping somewhere along Castle Creek Rd before it turns dirt or anywhere along Maroon Creek Rd other than Silver Bar/Bell/Queen, someone else can chime in. There may be places to camp (someone above mentioned 5-6 miles up Castle Creek Rd) in those areas, I've just never looked for them and stuck with spots I knew.
Great info! Sounds like I'll be brining the lifted 4Runner! I think we're after some seclusion even if it means a little further drive back out and over to Maroon TH in the morning.

This should be a decent consolation prize for our Teton plans getting weathered away!
atalarico
14ers: 16  2 
13ers: 22
Trip Reports (5)

Post by atalarico »

So it turns out this is the road to get to Pearl Pass/Montgomery Basin, so if I had just realized that I could have gone to traildamage to look up the road and all of that. It's also in my copy of the Colorado Off-Roading (paraphrasing the title because I can't remember what it's called) book too, with great info, maps, and pictures.

The road itself is not that bad until you get to maybe 2 miles up from the water-crossing and a bit closer to the start of the rocky shelf road. I was a bit surprised to see as many Subarus getting as far as they were past the water crossing, but they were! I had no issues with my lifted 4Runner, but I think if you know how to drive off-road and pick your line/place your tires you'll be fine in most stock vehicles for a good portion of the road. There were two very different cars I saw with what appeared to be recent trail damage. One fancy new stock height Jeep Cherokee with nice off-road tires had a cracked bumper valence, and a Subaru Outback also had a cracked bumper valence.

We camped about 15 minutes in on the dirt road because we really didn't want to worry about extra time to get out and over to the Bells TH. It worked out pretty well, but JFYI for anyone interested, this is a rather busy off-road area and the sites aren't that secluded from the road. It was quiet on Thursday and most of Friday, but a lot of dirt bikes, ATVs, Jeeps, Yotas, MTBs, hikers, etc. from then on. I know that doesn't bother some people, so just mentioning it in case you are like me and don't really enjoy driving to "get away from it all" only to feel like all of the Front Range is driving by looking at you brush your teeth at your campsite.

Cheers!
Sameerkumar1979
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Sameerkumar1979 »

Is there any place I can boon dock in my trailer for capitol creek trail?