Backpack, Daypack, or Both?

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
coclimber2
14ers: 17  1 
13ers: 23
Trip Reports (4)

Backpack, Daypack, or Both?

Post by coclimber2 »

Hello 14er Community!

I did a couple of 14er camp trips last year, and am planning a few more this year, and I'm wondering what the general population does regarding backpacks? I have my camping backpack, which is great, but not ideal for class 3+ climbing. Previously, I have packed up my day pack (Osprey Tempest 20L) into my camping pack, and then loaded the day pack for my adventures (leaving my camping pack at my tent site).

I'm not by any means an ultralight backpacker, but it seems redundant to carry a backpack in a backpack. Does everyone else do this? Am I missing something?

Would love all recommendations. I really love my camp pack and my day pack but I've got to figure out something for climbing trips.

Thanks!
CoHi591
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 76
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Backpack, Daypack, or Both?

Post by CoHi591 »

I frequently do the backpack within a backpack situation.
Big one is a 70 L which is pretty unnecessarily huge, so I have no problem fitting my smaller day pack in. However, I just got a 40 liter pack that I'm going to start using for backpacking and I'm not quite sure if my standard Daypack will fit inside it along with my camping gear.
I might invest in an even smaller day pack for this reason, something just big enough to carry water and an extra layer, and some first aid stuff.
The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days.
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtree »

I pack a pack in my pack. I try to go as light as possible when seeking a summit so I would no way "climb" with a large camping pack. Once I almost knocked myself off a mountain by turning around on a steep pitch while wearing my daypack. That scare stuck with me forever.

I used to bring my usual daypack inside my camping pack (50L?), but have since switched to an ultra-light Marmot "summit pack" instead. This takes up minimal room in the camping pack and is, well, ultra-lightweight. Its basically a sack so compresses to a small footprint. Except for water I have everything I need already in my summit pack so don't have to fuss with gear before my summit attempt. Just add water and go.
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
HikerGuy
14ers: 58 
13ers: 426 8
Trip Reports (9)

Post by HikerGuy »

For me it depends on the difficulty of the peak and length of approach. If it's easy and a long approach, I just use my backpack. If scrambly or technical or a short approach, I pack a smaller pack. Usually it's an REI Flash 22 that comes along unless I need something larger for like carrying a rope.
two lunches
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (0)

Post by two lunches »

my Gregory 63L pack comes with a removable daypack that I use for day-ventures after packing in. my Osprey 40L does not, but there are TONS of lightweight, packable day-bags (ex: https://montemlife.com/product/luxe-packable-backpack/) that will do the trick.
“To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” – Mary Davis
Justin9
14ers: 58  2  5 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Justin9 »

I am probably on the light side, but I carry a Lowe Alpine 32 liter pack if I am going into the mountains for 1-3 days during spring, summer or fall. I fit food, tent, bag and necessities and carry the same pack on summit hikes/climbs. The size is just right for me and carries comfortably empty or full. I did carry a 20L in my big backpack at one time but have learned over the years what I really need and what I don't. Take a look at what you don't use every day and exclude it. Just my 2¢.
TomPierce
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TomPierce »

I'll often carry a superlight day pack as my sleeping bag stuff sack, then use it as a summit pack. My recollection is Sea to Summit makes a 20L version which weighs between 2-4oz. Reasonable price, spray with Scotchgard and it's water resistant.

-Tom

Edit: Just saw it's now 18L, and weighs 1 oz. https://seatosummitusa.com/collections/ ... el-daypack
easyridertme
14ers: 14  1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by easyridertme »

Like others, I've done the backpack in a backpack thing for class 3-4 summit days. But with Gregory Baltoro and Camelbak Mule, that's a ridiculous 6.5 lbs of packs alone. I've got a light packable backpack that I hoped could replace it, but the Camelbak feels infinitely more secure on consequential terrain. This year I plan on mostly using a smaller & lighter backpacking pack that I won't mind taking to the summit, but I also may try adding a hipbelt and a couple of other features to the packable backpack to make it more suited for climbing through higher-class terrain.
randalmartin
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 48 2
Trip Reports (13)

Post by randalmartin »

Another example of a daypack that can double as a stuff sack in your main pack.

https://www.gossamergear.com/collection ... nture-pack

Edit: Unfortunately looks like they are out of stock
Tornadoman
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 266 35
Trip Reports (12)

Post by Tornadoman »

As others have said, there are plenty of packs that you can easily stuff into your overnight pack that weigh only a few ounces. What I haven't seen mentioned is that those packs offer very little back/neck support. Even though lightweight I have found them to be uncomfortable; I have one of the Sea to Summit packs, and an REI Flash 18. The 18 isn't as bad as the Sea to Summit and my wife likes it ok, personally I don't think it offers enough support. My overnight pack (Osprey Aether 70) has a detachable section at the top that is supposed to be usable as a day pack. However, in practice I have found that the only way to wear it was around the waist as the weirdest, most uncomfortable fanny pack ever.

Based on my experiences I just prefer to bring along a day pack. Since my overnight pack is on the bigger side of things, it isn't an issue to just throw my Jansport day pack in. Just my 2 cents.
Climb the mountain so you can see the world, not so the world can see you.
cougar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 135 2
Trip Reports (10)

Post by cougar »

I've struggled a bit with this setup, a Camelbak day pack and 40L overnight pack. Awkward balancing all that - the 40L has a pouch for the water bladder, but I've tried the day pack strapped to my chest and it wasn't the best setup, but better load balancing.

I have ultralight 8oz or less daypacks I use mostly in the foothills or while traveling (tons of them on the market now - you can get some for under $10 that fold into themselves) - they don't have any support though, lack some durability, and not a good setup for clipping or tying on gear like poles, helmet, axe, etc.., a few loops and pockets which would be enough for shorter/easier class 2 summit days. But that's not usually the case on the harder ones.

It would be great to have the full setup at a good price from one gear maker that has a whole kit that fits perfectly - large backpacking pack with detachable day pack, and a tent and sleeping bag + pad that fits in there perfectly.
http://www.listsofjohn.com/m/cougar

"If we don't change direction, we'll end up where we're going."
"Bushwhacking is like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're gonna get."
"Don't give up on your dreams, stay asleep"
seano
14ers: 56 
13ers: 218
Trip Reports (3)

Post by seano »

I don't think camping is necessary in the lower 48, but when I do it, a simple climbing pack (an old Mammut Ice 45 in my case) holds enough stuff for a week. I can either strap it down and scramble with it for a day, or leave it behind, put some food in my pockets, and tie a shell around my waist. If you want more, a cheap nylon bag with straps like an REI Flash 18 is the way to go.