Backpack, Daypack, or Both?

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
timisimaginary
14ers: 3 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Backpack, Daypack, or Both?

Post by timisimaginary »

easyridertme wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:06 am
timisimaginary wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:28 amlately i've taken to vest-style trail running packs, i've got the 6L and 15L Osprey Duros. they make great scrambling packs. you can store stuff in the chest pockets, like soft flasks, phone, snacks, which can also help counterbalance gear stored in the back, and the vest-style fit keeps everything snug against your body, since they're designed to keep bouncing down during running. the 15L has plenty of room for layers, raingear, bivy, first aid kit, etc. and while it has some structure and padding, it still packs down pretty easily if you needed to fit it into a larger pack.
The 15L Duro doesn't seem to have much of a weight advantage over other pack-in-a-pack options at like 26oz, but you make a great point about vest-style packs probably being a lot better for scrambling in terms of balancing gear weight and stability. What kind of climbs have you done with the packs? Do you get into any situation where the bulky front straps became annoying or problematic? (I'm imagining it being awkward in tight spots like chimneys and whatnot...)

I'll bet Justiner could also shed some like on this with the UD vests/packs...
out here on the east coast, i don't have too many options for scrambles/climbs like out in CO. but i have used it on scrambly hikes/climbs like the Billy Goat Trail and Old Rag. Old Rag has some narrow sections, when i hiked it with my Osprey Stratos 24 there were a couple spots I had to take the pack off to fit through. i can fit through those sections wearing the Duro. the front straps aren't particularly bulky, they can be if you have them loaded down with stuff, but i usually just keep my phone, a map, and soft flasks in them. at worst i may need to take the soft flasks out if the squeeze is that tight, or you could just stick to the bladder. the flasks can get loose and fall out as they get empty when you're leaning over a lot, there are restraining loops but i always forget to use them. the 15 also has hip pockets, so i stash my usual hip pocket stuff (sunscreen, snacks, etc.) there.

one advantage especially for the UD vests is how the back can cinch down so tightly, which keeps everything really snug to the body. the Duro cinches down too, but not as much (that's why i have the 6L too, in warm weather i'm not carrying enough to be able to cinch the 15L down all the way, but i have that problem more for trail runs where any little bounce can get annoying eventually).
"The decay and disintegration of this culture is astonishingly amusing if you're emotionally detached from it." - George Carlin
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

On overnight or multi-night trips, I use my 65L pack, then for summit day, just take everything out I don't need and leave in the tent and carry with me the stripped down version. So, yea, it weighs an extra 16-28oz more than a ultralight 20-25l "summit pack", but its easier, maintains the things I need (ice axe loops, extra space for layers, puffy, DSLR, water, food, etc) and I don't need to carry an additional pack. If I am really that concerned about that extra pound of weight, I'll just not have that pint of ice cream the day before [-X
nunns
14ers: 43 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nunns »

nyker wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:41 pm On overnight or multi-night trips, I use my 65L pack, then for summit day, just take everything out I don't need and leave in the tent and carry with me the stripped down version. So, yea, it weighs an extra 16-28oz more than a ultralight 20-25l "summit pack", but its easier, maintains the things I need (ice axe loops, extra space for layers, puffy, DSLR, water, food, etc) and I don't need to carry an additional pack. If I am really that concerned about that extra pound of weight, I'll just not have that pint of ice cream the day before [-X
Ice cream tastes a lot better than most 65L packs though.

Sean Nunn
"Thy righteousness is like the great mountains." --Psalms 36:6
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

Yes!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

easyridertme wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:06 amI'll bet Justiner could also shed some like on this with the UD vests/packs...

I'd go with the separate day pack idea. Here's a comparison of a few UD products in size in weight. the first is the Fastpack 35, which is something I've used for five day trips (stripping down to the bare necessities). I think for a daypack, it's really large, but it'll work to illustrate. The padding can be removed, which makes is more compactable:
fp35.jpg
fp35.jpg (134.64 KiB) Viewed 4084 times
When I did use it for my long fastpacking trips where I'd be doing a lot of peak bagging (like-a-dis), I'd bring a PB Sig Series Adventure Vest, which is much smaller, lighter, and has no padding. I'd still say this would be an OK vest to use for peak bagging (has enough room to fit items for safety/comfort without compromising too much)
advest.jpg
advest.jpg (80.3 KiB) Viewed 4084 times
Here it is not stuff into one of its own pockets,
advest2.jpg
advest2.jpg (117.41 KiB) Viewed 4084 times
Seems just a better idea than hauling the main backpacking bag up, and having to stow the contents of it somewhere, anyways.
polar
14ers: 2 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by polar »

Well you guys are in luck! Sierra Trading Post has a couple UD vests on clearance.

https://www.sierra.com/all/s~ultimate-d ... sHighToLow
"Getting to the bottom, OPTIONAL. Getting to the top, MANDATORY!" - The Wisest Trail Sign
justiner
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

polar wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:26 pm Well you guys are in luck! Sierra Trading Post has a couple UD vests on clearance.

https://www.sierra.com/all/s~ultimate-d ... sHighToLow
Careful with the 2 larger skimo packs, as they won't pack down easily to fit in a larger pack (they ARE larger packs! and have that crampon compartment that's padded all the ways around). The Jurek FKT vest and Vesta is similar to the Adventure Vest I've taken photos of.
JTOlson26
14ers: 20 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by JTOlson26 »

I always take my Marmot Kompressor as a daypack on longer trips. Very easily rolls up into itself and is quite light.
easyridertme
14ers: 14  1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by easyridertme »

justiner wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:58 pmWhen I did use it for my long fastpacking trips where I'd be doing a lot of peak bagging (like-a-dis), I'd bring a PB Sig Series Adventure Vest, which is much smaller, lighter, and has no padding.
Just to clarify, you brought the smaller adventure vest as well as the 35L pack? The vest isn't quite as light as I expected, but it's still almost half a pound lighter than my M.U.L.E. (and has much larger capacity)... Assuming it's as stable navigating up and over rock as it looks like it should be, I think it'd be easily worth the weight penalty over the truly UL stuff packs.
justiner
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

easyridertme wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:26 am Just to clarify, you brought the smaller adventure vest as well as the 35L pack? The vest isn't quite as light as I expected, but it's still almost half a pound lighter than my M.U.L.E. (and has much larger capacity)... Assuming it's as stable navigating up and over rock as it looks like it should be, I think it'd be easily worth the weight penalty over the truly UL stuff packs.
Yeah - do the hiking to the base of the route with the 35L pack, stow it, then take off to the summit with the vest. The PB Adventure Vest 4.0 is one of UD's largest/heaviest in their line, before things get into pack territory. (The newer FKT vest may be a little larger)
shays_days
14ers: 13  3 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by shays_days »

I have an Osprey Mutant (38L) that I have done 2 day backpacking loops with and fit all my gear in, and that I have also used on day tripping mountains like Capitol! That bag is pretty sick because the brain comes off and has a different lid underneath, and it's honestly kind of magical how well it works as both a day pack and a backpacking pack. Looks just like a little backpack when the brain is off. Would recommend it to anyone.
jsf80238
14ers: 26 
13ers: 64
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jsf80238 »

TomPierce wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:53 pm I'll often carry a superlight day pack as my sleeping bag stuff sack, then use it as a summit pack.
Ditto.