Best backcountry meal options

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Wildernessjane
14ers: 58  13  46 
13ers: 256 23 19
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Best backcountry meal options

Post by Wildernessjane »

I'm in the dehydrated meals camp. Good-to-Go brand has been my go-to for awhile now. Their thing is that you can pronounce all of the ingredients. Plus most of their meals are gluten free, if you're into that sort of thing. Thai Curry, Pad Thai, and Bibimbap are my favorites. I've found it is important to use boiling water and wait for the recommended time (don't get impatient). They do have breakfast options but usually I just go for a PB&J Bobo bar if I'm getting up early and going for a summit. I think if I did the sort of backpacking that involved sleeping in and hanging out at camp, I might put more time into meals. Nothing beats the simplicity of dehydrated meals and I actually think they're quite tasty not to mention lightweight. I usually stock up when Bent Gate has their storewide 20% off sale.
Last edited by Wildernessjane on Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Climb mountains not so the world can see you, but so you can see the world.” -David McCullough?
pw
14ers: 45 
13ers: 70
Trip Reports (1)

Post by pw »

Somewhat of a Prick wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:19 pm
drewharrellrtr wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:08 pm My morning "go to" is usually a cliff bar. I find those provide a lot of energy. I won't go hiking without one
Blegh. Like trying to eat a block of chalk
Cool Chocolate Mint isn't bad. You just can't make the mistake of trying to eat it in one sitting.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pwahl/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
wheresgibbs
14ers: 12 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by wheresgibbs »

My go-to breakfast is overnight oats. I hate hot oatmeal so cold is good, and easy. Premake in baggies and soak overnight in a gelato container, wake up and eat. I usually mix oatmeal, chia seeds, protein powder and dehydrated fruit.

Lunch is harder- bars, trail mix, we make our own elk jerky, tortillas with cheese/meat or almond butter are delish but not super light. Go to the grocery and start looking at calories to ounce and figure out what works best for you.

Pad thai is my fav backpacking dinner - buy one of the premade packs or bring noodles, a packet of chicken, dehydrated veggies and a few ounces of peanut sauce/sriracha and you're set. Same for chicken korma or masala with a light grain and powdered spices. Mac n cheese w/jalapeño tuna are a fav. Good-to-Go dinners are also easy and tasty.

On the CT a packet of ramen mixed with dehydrated mashed potatoes was the end-all-be-all of salty, hot deliciousness. Have not had that since.
CaptainSuburbia
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 125 9
Trip Reports (44)

Post by CaptainSuburbia »

CaptCO wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:20 pm It’s that time of year again... what is everyone packing? I can’t stand clif bars, pop tarts, or any of that crap. Looking into smoked meats in cans, jet boil soups, etc. I’m also a slut for being as lightweight as I can on most trips, anyone eating good on the mountain?
Donuts, gummy bears and pizza for me.
Some day our kids will study Clash lyrics in school.
Nothing drives people crazy like people drive people crazy.
Save Challenger Point
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

Beer.
cedica
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cedica »

CaptCO wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:20 pm I’m also a slut for being as lightweight as I can ...
If you care about energy density of the food you carry, don't forget chicharrones, hermanito.
ltlFish99
14ers: 49  3  2 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ltlFish99 »

I love cinnamon apple oatmeal and for years this was my favorite breakfast.
Last summer I switched to spicy cajun smoked salmon, and that was great. I toss it in a bowl, splash on a fair amount of red Tabasco and I'm going to go.
I also like pop tarts and will be having some of those this summer.
I do need to find a nice soft chocolate peanut butter bar to consume during the day. I love snickers, but eat them all the time and want to try out something new.
I also love jalapeno jerky.
Last edited by ltlFish99 on Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ltlFish99
14ers: 49  3  2 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ltlFish99 »

CaptCO wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:47 pm
ltlFish99 wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:38 pm I love cinnamon apple oatmeal and for years thus. Was my favorite breakfast.
Last summer I switched to spicy cajun smoked salmon, and that was great. I toss it in a bowl, splash on a fair amount of red Tabasco and I'm going to go.
I also like pop tarts and will be having some of those this summer.
I fo need to find a nice soft chocolate peanut butter bar to consume during the day. I love snickers, but eat them all the time and want to try out something new.
I also love jalapeno jerky.
Thanks! Check out power crunch bars in the vitamin section of Walmart. Blazintoes put me on them before I got burnt out, and they blow most protein wafers out of the water! (Vanilla and peanut butter are good)
Thanks, I'll do that.