Do you consider staying/renting a cabin to be "Camping?"

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.

Do you consider staying/renting a cabin to be "Camping?"

Yes. You're closer to nature, sleeping in a sleeping bag, etc., and it's not much different than camping in a vehicle.
4%
No. Staying in a hotel isn't camping, so why would staying in a cabin be different?
96%

Total votes: 133
madbuck
Trip Reports (6)

Re: Do you consider staying/renting a cabin to be "Camping?"

Post by madbuck »

Thanks for not disappointing, gang!
Has anyone else ever heard that description of camping? I hadn't until this year, and then heard at at least 3 times in the last few months. I see that places like KOA describe "camping cabins." Perhaps I'm getting older and more friends have kids and want to stay in cabins, or perhaps something is changing in our culture where we want to sell the 'camping' experience without inconvenience?
WishIWasInTheMts wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:20 pm I’m guessing the people who say that staying in a cabin is the same as camping also believe they can count a summit if the made it “close enough”.
Haha, come to think of it, one of the people that made me think of this question had also "hiked Bierstadt" a few years ago. Did you make it to the top, what did you think? "No, but we were really close."
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

madbuck wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:24 am <snip> something is changing in our culture where we want to sell the 'camping' experience without inconvenience?
It's not new - RV/pop-up folks have been trying to pull this $hit for decades. Probably was just a matter of time before people started trying to pull it off for cabins. Next it will be "camping" when you stay in a condo at a ski resort. NTTAWWT.

:mrgreen:
Chicago Transplant
14ers: 58  12  24 
13ers: 697 39 34
Trip Reports (66)

Post by Chicago Transplant »

Unless its a remote hut or yurt, a cabin is a hotel. Even a remote hut/yurt is not camping.

When I lived in Chicago we tried to go camp in Sleeping Bear Dunes but the walk in sites were first come first served and it was full before we got there. Had to tent camp in an RV campground as it was the only thing available. Sleeping next to an RV with its generator buzzing and hearing laugh tracks on the TV they were watching, RV'ing isn't camping either.

I don't even consider sleeping in my car to be camping. Partly to justify sleeping in my car in areas with "no camping" signs. :-D
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day
HikesInGeologicTime
14ers: 58  8  18 
13ers: 60 2 11
Trip Reports (38)

Post by HikesInGeologicTime »

madbuck wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:24 am Haha, come to think of it, one of the people that made me think of this question had also "hiked Bierstadt" a few years ago. Did you make it to the top, what did you think? "No, but we were really close."
My ex-best friend claimed he hiked Lincoln on the grounds that he got really close, that he’d been with me in spirit when I summited (we’d gone up Dem and Cam together, then he got wigged out by one of the narrow points on the way up Lincoln), and that his dog had been with me in body when I’d summited despite his (apparently weak) efforts to keep her next to him while I went up.

He had an account on here. Lincoln’s still listed as one of his 11 summits.

As far as the poll goes, I want to know who the lone Yes-voting contrarian is and what rationale they have. I’m all for lumping car camping in with regular camping, as you’re going to wake up shivering with a stiff neck and muscle cramps regardless of whether you take the extra step of removing the tent from the trunk and setting it up or not, but as soon as you have a bedframe and a real mattress, no way!
"I'm not selling drugs, dude. Drugs sell themselves. I'm selling stoke!"
- Guy at the table next to mine at Alta's Slopeside Cafe, in what I can't help but selfishly hope were (will be?) his verbatim words to the arresting officer(s)
zinj
14ers: 58 
13ers: 48
Trip Reports (13)

Post by zinj »

SkaredShtles wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:58 am
madbuck wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:24 am <snip> something is changing in our culture where we want to sell the 'camping' experience without inconvenience?
It's not new - RV/pop-up folks have been trying to pull this $hit for decades. Probably was just a matter of time before people started trying to pull it off for cabins. Next it will be "camping" when you stay in a condo at a ski resort. NTTAWWT.

Throwing a yellow flag on that one. How do you square calling it "this $hit" in one sentence with "NTTAWWT" two sentences later? Seems you staked out a criticism then you backed off. NTTAWWT. lol. https://tinyurl.com/4poyc6x
"Gentlemen, you are piling up a heritage of conflict and litigation over water rights, for there is not sufficient water to supply the land." - John Wesley Powell, 1883
painless4u2
Trip Reports (8)

Post by painless4u2 »

I'd say it depends on the cabin. If it looks like this:
cabin ruins.JPG
cabin ruins.JPG (214.72 KiB) Viewed 2681 times
Then it's camping. Otherwise it's what is called "glamping".
Bad decisions often make good stories.

IPAs + Ambien = "14ers" post (Bill M.)

In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps. Proverbs 16:9
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

zinj wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:53 am
SkaredShtles wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:58 am

Throwing a yellow flag on that one. How do you square calling it "this $hit" in one sentence with "NTTAWWT" two sentences later? Seems you staked out a criticism then you backed off. NTTAWWT. lol. https://tinyurl.com/4poyc6x
Hey, man... I'm a complicated individual. :mrgreen:
12ersRule
13ers: 157
Trip Reports (4)

Post by 12ersRule »

If you have a big tent with a huge queen sized inflatable mattress, I think it's still camping. I think tepees and tents are definitely camping. Probably igloos and snow caves too.
Moraine14
14ers: 11 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Moraine14 »

Hell no. I like to use made-up words, so I refer to staying in a cabin as "cabin-ing" (or just saying that I'm getting lodging).

Personally, when I refer to "camping", I mean sleeping in a tent (or less), probably because that's how the term was used in my family when I was a kid. Accordingly, sleeping in a luxury RV (or even a pop-up) isn't "camping" either.

However, when I've referred to "car camping", what I meant to say is that it's a drive-up campsite (as opposed to backpacking) where I can load as much crap as I want in the car and just set up camp (tent, etc.) within immediate walking distance from my vehicle. Maybe I'm using the term incorrectly/too narrowly, because it seems most people use the phrase "car camping" to mean sleeping in the car.
Mtnman200
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 440
Trip Reports (85)

Post by Mtnman200 »

Moraine14 wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:43 pm However, when I've referred to "car camping", what I meant to say is that it's a drive-up campsite (as opposed to backpacking) where I can load as much crap as I want in the car and just set up camp (tent, etc.) within immediate walking distance from my vehicle.
That’s how I’ve always used the term “car camping.”
"Adventure without risk is not possible." - Reinhold Messner
HikerGuy
13ers: 426 8
Trip Reports (9)

Post by HikerGuy »

Mtnman200 wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:59 pm
Moraine14 wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:43 pm However, when I've referred to "car camping", what I meant to say is that it's a drive-up campsite (as opposed to backpacking) where I can load as much crap as I want in the car and just set up camp (tent, etc.) within immediate walking distance from my vehicle.
That’s how I’ve always used the term “car camping.”
Me too. Sleeping in a vehicle is not car camping. I also don't consider it camping as there is no "footprint" on the ground.
bergsteigen
14ers: 58  52  18 
13ers: 538 100 12
Trip Reports (237)

Post by bergsteigen »

I grew up “car camping” with my mom at bluegrass festivals. Pack the car to the roof with everything imaginable, including a sink, set up posh campsite to play music well into the night.

Now I camp/sleep in my truck/car on a real mattress in a sleeping bag. Only time I get into a tent is when I backpack. But I also camp in my car ALL winter long. -19F, no big deal. Comfy and cozy.
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games." - Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)
Your knees only get so many bumps in life, don't waste them on moguls!
“No athlete is truly tested until they’ve stared an injury in the face and come out on the other side stronger than ever” -anonymous

http://otinasadventures.com @otina