Do you consider staying/renting a cabin to be "Camping?"

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.

Do you consider staying/renting a cabin to be "Camping?"

Yes. You're closer to nature, sleeping in a sleeping bag, etc., and it's not much different than camping in a vehicle.
4%
No. Staying in a hotel isn't camping, so why would staying in a cabin be different?
96%

Total votes: 133
randalmartin
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 48 2
Trip Reports (13)

Re: Do you consider staying/renting a cabin to be "Camping?"

Post by randalmartin »

1] Car Camping I generally refer to as any camping where you can drive up to the campsite. Sleeping in Vehicle I just lump into Car Camping category.
2] Backpacking or Backcountry Camping is what I refer to camping where you have to carry your gear (Backpack) to the campsite.
3] There is another category I don't utilize which uses pack animals to pack in lots of gear for a camp. That is Glamping to me.
4] RV camping
Yukon Ron
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Yukon Ron »

If riding an ATV is "hiking" then I can see how some would consider renting a cabin as "camping".

Tent=Glamping
Seeing the stars before you go to sleep = Camping.

My .02.
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

No.
mikefromcraig
14ers: 53  24 
13ers: 57
Trip Reports (15)

Post by mikefromcraig »

randalmartin wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:54 pm 1] Car Camping I generally refer to as any camping where you can drive up to the campsite. Sleeping in Vehicle I just lump into Car Camping category.
2] Backpacking or Backcountry Camping is what I refer to camping where you have to carry your gear (Backpack) to the campsite.
3] There is another category I don't utilize which uses pack animals to pack in lots of gear for a camp. That is Glamping to me.
4] RV camping
Using pack animals doesn't really change anything for me since once you arrive at your destination you are still camping. Just like if a husband carries all the gear for his wife, the wife can still say she was camping. Maybe she couldn't say she went "backpacking" because she never carried a pack though.

For me, "glamping" would be like a furnished yurt with a mattress and electricity.
"I don't believe anyone who says they would prefer to die on a mountain in their 30s than in a hospital in their 90s."
randalmartin
Trip Reports (13)

Post by randalmartin »

mikefromcraig wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:31 am Using pack animals doesn't really change anything for me since once you arrive at your destination you are still camping.
My only thought on that was pack animals are typically carrying heavier/more gear than I would bring Backpacking and so the camping experience is much more comfortable.
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

randalmartin wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:00 am
mikefromcraig wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:31 am Using pack animals doesn't really change anything for me since once you arrive at your destination you are still camping.
My only thought on that was pack animals are typically carrying heavier/more gear than I would bring Backpacking and so the camping experience is much more comfortable.
We were discussing this on a backpacking trip in the Wind Rivers, 'cause there was a pack train that came by us *TWO* times, and it was simply carrying another load of $hit the second pass by us. The guy running the pack train told us it was for a party of 6 that had PILES of $hit, including a bunch of booze and fresh food.

I told my buddies that, theoretically, you could use a pack-train to transport up a bunch of battery packs, a big TV, and a satellite dish and *really* live it up. But heaven forbid you want to ride a bicycle on those trails.

:mrgreen:
randalmartin
Trip Reports (13)

Post by randalmartin »

Personally it's unfortunate that pack animals are allowed in Wilderness designated areas. The damage to trails is pretty significant from the heavier (weight not quantity) traffic. On the positive side it allows folks that are not physically able to get into the backcountry the opportunity to do so.
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

randalmartin wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:19 am Personally it's unfortunate that pack animals are allowed in Wilderness designated areas. The damage to trails is pretty significant from the heavier (weight not quantity) traffic. On the positive side it allows folks that are not physically able to get into the backcountry the opportunity to do so.
Oooh - like e-bikes! Maybe we could get ADA to get e-bikes allowed in Wilderness Areas... :lol:
SchralpTheGnar
14ers: 51  49  1 
13ers: 38 30
Trip Reports (22)

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

I voted for camping is staying in a cabin, but that’s just how It was growing up, in Rhode Island they hardly have any tent camping.
Barnold41
14ers: 15 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Barnold41 »

Who cares??? To each their own.
SchralpTheGnar
14ers: 51  49  1 
13ers: 38 30
Trip Reports (22)

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

I care.
Magnet18
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Magnet18 »

I live in an RV, which are thought of by the general populus to be "campers" for "camping" in "campgrounds"

I call it luxury living ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Humans are complicated, anything can be a grey area if you try hard enough