Best vehicle for 4wd trailheads

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
pleiades
14ers: 5 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Best vehicle for 4wd trailheads

Post by pleiades »

I have a stock Forester (2014 with the 2.5). It feels like an angry, underpowered sewing machine on some passes, but oh well. I put Falken A/T tires on and haven’t encountered any issues. I think most of the trailheads are about picking lines.
two lunches
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (0)

Post by two lunches »

cschmidt1023 wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 9:41 pm I haven't browsed for a used car in over 3 years (and much longer for an offroad worthy car) and am wondering what legitimately competes with the Subaru Forester in terms of pretty decent off-road ability while still getting very good MPG and not costing >$30,000?
off-road ability v. MPGs-- long story short, you can pick one or the other but you won't find something that's made for offroad driving that also delivers 40+MPG. when i say vehicles made for offroad use, i mean Wranglers, 4Runners, FJs, Broncos, Xterras- actual Sport Utility Vehicles: shorter wheelbases, higher clearance, has a transfer case (true 4x4), rougher/sturdier suspension systems, slower and torquier than the average soccer-mom grocery-getter.

that said, a RAV4 hybrid or a Forester is a great compromise. neither are explicitly designed for trails, but both are more than off-road capable. i trust Toyota more than Subaru but you're definitely on the right track with either- the Colorado Benchmark, "is it Subaruable?" or "just hard enough to keep the Subarus out" exists for a reason. and as always- driver skill matters as much (and sometimes more) than what you're driving.

happy shopping and happy trails!
“To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” – Mary Davis
HikerGuy
14ers: 58 
13ers: 426 8
Trip Reports (9)

Post by HikerGuy »

two lunches wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:10 am
cschmidt1023 wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 9:41 pm I haven't browsed for a used car in over 3 years (and much longer for an offroad worthy car) and am wondering what legitimately competes with the Subaru Forester in terms of pretty decent off-road ability while still getting very good MPG and not costing >$30,000?
off-road ability v. MPGs-- long story short, you can pick one or the other but you won't find something that's made for offroad driving that also delivers 40+MPG. when i say vehicles made for offroad use, i mean Wranglers, 4Runners, FJs, Broncos, Xterras- actual Sport Utility Vehicles: shorter wheelbases, higher clearance, has a transfer case (true 4x4), rougher/sturdier suspension systems, slower and torquier than the average soccer-mom grocery-getter.

that said, a RAV4 hybrid or a Forester is a great compromise. neither are explicitly designed for trails, but both are more than off-road capable. i trust Toyota more than Subaru but you're definitely on the right track with either- the Colorado Benchmark, "is it Subaruable?" or "just hard enough to keep the Subarus out" exists for a reason. and as always- driver skill matters as much (and sometimes more) than what you're driving.

happy shopping and happy trails!
Great summary. Also, tires! Make sure to put some all-terrain tires on your AWD vehicle. They will offer better traction and rock protection. I mostly drive a 2011 Hyundai Santa Fe. I had a set of Yokohama Geolander A/T tires that were pretty good, but they wore out quickly. I put on a set of BFGoodrich Trail Terrain T/A tires this year and they are fantastic so far.
two lunches
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (0)

Post by two lunches »

HikerGuy wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:20 am Great summary. Also, tires! Make sure to put some all-terrain tires on your AWD vehicle. They will offer better traction and rock protection. I mostly drive a 2011 Hyundai Santa Fe. I had a set of Yokohama Geolander A/T tires that were pretty good, but they wore out quickly. I put on a set of BFGoodrich Trail Terrain T/A tires this year and they are fantastic so far.
loved my BFG KO2s (way more than the KOs) but i am a Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac convert- they're better on ice/snow. i'm not a fan of the Falken Wildpeaks but they also have a cult following, so they can't be total crap. the Cooper Discoverers are also a fine choice

anything All Terrain is better than an All Season tire- highway tires should stay on pavement unless you're itching to change a tire offroad... spoiler alert: it's less fun than it sounds.
“To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” – Mary Davis
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

two lunches wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:52 am anything All Terrain is better than an All Season tire- highway tires should stay on pavement unless you're itching to change a tire offroad... spoiler alert: it's less fun than it sounds.
Agree with this, in addition to A/T tires, which can still get trashed, it's good to have a better jack (and wider/stouter baseplate) than the standard issue bottle jack. You don't need a hi-lift, especially if you don't have proper jack points (rotopax adorned bro-verlanders can you hear me?), but you def need something better than what comes with your car.
Make wilderness less accessible.
Skimo95
14ers: 58  14  23 
13ers: 176 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Skimo95 »

Dave B wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 10:05 am
two lunches wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:52 am anything All Terrain is better than an All Season tire- highway tires should stay on pavement unless you're itching to change a tire offroad... spoiler alert: it's less fun than it sounds.
Agree with this, in addition to A/T tires, which can still get trashed, it's good to have a better jack (and wider/stouter baseplate) than the standard issue bottle jack. You don't need a hi-lift, especially if you don't have proper jack points (rotopax adorned bro-verlanders can you hear me?), but you def need something better than what comes with your car.
A tire or two ago, I was running LE2 all seasons with a 2WD vehicle. No problems going to Nellie Creek etc. I do agree with the advice given.