Best vehicle for 4wd trailheads

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
ker0uac
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Best vehicle for 4wd trailheads

Post by ker0uac »

Can one roll coal with EVs?

I'd like to know of an off-road enthusiast who actually goes off-roading to the point of needing 4LO and lockers and who would consider trading their rigs for a bronco or hummer. Anyone out there?
Those who travel to mountain-tops are half in love with themselves and half in love with oblivion
ker0uac
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ker0uac »

Also did yall know that F150 is one of the few vehicles businesses can buy and deduct 100% of its sale price in year 1? I didn't and was surprised.
Those who travel to mountain-tops are half in love with themselves and half in love with oblivion
docinco
14ers: 50 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by docinco »

CaptCO wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:54 pm
docinco wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:39 pm maybe some work on your social skills would be more productive.
Get off my dick! Lol, this is the last time you get my attention babe.
i sense a little gender confusion here.....
Dakota
14ers: 25 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Dakota »

justiner wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:16 pm
Scott P wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:01 pm I also wonder how the electics will do off road. I assume it would suck a lot of power in low range and since electric vehicles are much heavier, this would effect driving in sand, etc. Still, time will tell. As daily drivers, electric cars sound great. It would be great if they are good off road too.
I know nothing about cars, but torque should be amazing on an electric, as is always being in gear (or there really not being a gear to be in).

eMTBs are totally taking off. Honestly, just some reg. efficent car and one of these will get you to every TH in CO without having to be me and save you a year of work from your life. These off road vehicles all look like luxury items to me that quickly devalue. But, kermit_with_iced_tea.gif
I thought the same thing with the electric dirt bikes and endurobikes out now. I would be curious to see what a eMTB or eFat bike is like as they are becoming popular on my local trail. As I'm standing up, going up hill and dying, old folks are sitting down and riding right on my rear end. It's actually quite annoying and unsettling.
If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts.
-Albert Einstein
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

With traditional gasoline/propane powered vehicles you can carry spare 3/5/10gal gas cans to extend your range or in case you run out of gas in a remote area.
I don't have an electric vehicle (EV), but has anyone used an EV with a portable charger (solar?) to help enable use of the vehicle away from the grid?
I've assumed a portable solar charger cannot charge such a high power battery as those used in EVs...
seano
14ers: 56 
13ers: 218
Trip Reports (3)

Post by seano »

nyker wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:15 am With traditional gasoline/propane powered vehicles you can carry spare 3/5/10gal gas cans to extend your range or in case you run out of gas in a remote area.
I don't have an electric vehicle (EV), but has anyone used an EV with a portable charger (solar?) to help enable use of the vehicle away from the grid?
I've assumed a portable solar charger cannot charge such a high power battery as those used in EVs...
I did the math on this awhile back, and with the number of kWh an EV battery stores, you'd need a rather large solar array to charge one in a reasonable time. There are prototype campers, but they seem to have to go to extreme lengths.
CheapCigarMan
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 108 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by CheapCigarMan »

This is an older thread but I have a Nissan Xterra Pro-4x. After research I found that there are only three vehicles built stock for off road use from the factory floor.... skid plate, shocks, locking differential, etc. The Jeep Wrangler, Toyota FJ, and the Nissan Xterra Pro-4x. (They don't make the Nissan Xterra anymore.)

I went with the Xterra because I'm 6' 3" and the first thing I did was lay down in it to see if I could fit in it for car camping. I wouldn't be able to do that in the Wrangler and a maybe but difficult for the FJ. I have found it to be an amazing vehicle for getting me to upper 4wd TH's. It also has theater style backseats and a killer Rockford Fosgate sound system.

I purposely bought it out of state. In Indianapolis to be exact. I did that for two reasons. One because I didn't want to buy a used one where someone had beaten it up on off roading already, the prior owner had it as a city status symbol, and low miles.
The other reason was price. Used vehicles are cheaper in other states. I flew to Indianapolis and drove it back and still paid a lot less had I bought it here in Denver.

:iluvu: I love my Nissan Xterra Pro-4x :iluvu:
I should be on a mountain
climbingcue
14ers: 58  8  27 
13ers: 317 21 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbingcue »

CheapCigarMan wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:00 am I purposely bought it out of state. In Indianapolis to be exact. I did that for two reasons. One because I didn't want to buy a used one where someone had beaten it up on off roading already, the prior owner had it as a city status symbol, and low miles.
The other reason was price. Used vehicles are cheaper in other states. I flew to Indianapolis and drove it back and still paid a lot less had I bought it here in Denver.
There are no good prices in Colorado on anything with AWD/4WD. This state has way to many people with too much money. They will over pay for everything, just look at sprinter vans. I wish I was one of those with too much money, but I am not so I have to travel to get deals. I am not sure how long I will even be able to stay in this state. At the current house prices I will never be able to buy something, hoping for a big housing crash....
Consecutive months with at least one 13er or 14er, 72 months
two lunches
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (0)

Post by two lunches »

ker0uac wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:34 pm I'd like to know of an off-road enthusiast who actually goes off-roading to the point of needing 4LO and lockers and who would consider trading their rigs for a bronco or hummer. Anyone out there?
i was SUPER excited about getting a bronco in a few years but completely changed my mind. the new bronco is hands down the most capable stock vehicle on the market and if Ford made a reliable motor i would make the switch.

but they don't so i'll stick with toyota.
“To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” – Mary Davis
susanjoypaul
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 88 6
Trip Reports (2)

Post by susanjoypaul »

stephakett wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:47 am
ker0uac wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:34 pm I'd like to know of an off-road enthusiast who actually goes off-roading to the point of needing 4LO and lockers and who would consider trading their rigs for a bronco or hummer. Anyone out there?
i was SUPER excited about getting a bronco in a few years but completely changed my mind. the new bronco is hands down the most capable stock vehicle on the market and if Ford made a reliable motor i would make the switch.

There have been some issues reported with the 2.7 liter Ecoboost, but I'm sticking with it anyway. I was #84 on my dealership's list about a month ago...looking at a midyear delivery now. Damn allocation formula.

They are coming out with a Desert Racer model that comes with a Coyote V8, but with a price tag in the mid-$200Ks, it's WAY out of my budget! Plus, I don't even think it's going to be street legal.

Also, if you google Bronco First Edition vs. Modified Jeep JL and JK, you might be surprised by how well it performs.
two lunches
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (0)

Post by two lunches »

susanjoypaul wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:54 am
stephakett wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:47 am

There have been some issues reported with the 2.7 liter Ecoboost, but I'm sticking with it anyway. I was #84 on my dealership's list about a month ago...looking at a midyear delivery now. Damn allocation formula.

They are coming out with a Desert Racer model that comes with a Coyote V8, but with a price tag in the mid-$200Ks, it's WAY out of my budget! Plus, I don't even think it's going to be street legal.

Also, if you google Bronco First Edition vs. Modified Jeep JL and JK, you might be surprised by how well it performs.
at least you can collect a nice REI dividend if you pay the maintenance bills with your mastercard... :-" or you can just dump it after 50K and keep perpetuating the planned obsolescence cornerstone of capitalism
“To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” – Mary Davis
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Recent conversation with my boss concerning the company Ford I am driving that always breaks down even though it is only a few years old.
Screenshot_20211206-125204_Messages.jpg
Screenshot_20211206-125204_Messages.jpg (91.38 KiB) Viewed 2210 times
Screenshot_20211206-125213_Messages.jpg
Screenshot_20211206-125213_Messages.jpg (80.14 KiB) Viewed 2210 times
Attachments
Screenshot_20211206-125213_Messages.jpg
Screenshot_20211206-125213_Messages.jpg (80.14 KiB) Viewed 2210 times
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.