Do you marmot proof your car?

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
E_A_Marcus_949
14ers: 58 
13ers: 56
Trip Reports (7)

Re: Do you marmot proof your car?

Post by E_A_Marcus_949 »

mtnmaneric wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:03 pm A few weekends ago, my buddy had 2 marmots destroy wiring in his truck while at the Grizzly Gulch trailhead in the San Juans.
Probably heading down there soon. Was there a few years ago and no issue, but I'll be wrapping my car in plastic snow fence probably this time around. Not worth it to have the critters chomp away. Good (in so many words) to know they're still an issue there... Though it'll be interesting getting in and out of my car when it's wrapped! :-k
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

Beware of Mongolian marmots. The carry bubonic plague.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/06/asia/chi ... index.html
mike offerman
13ers: 189
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mike offerman »

TomPierce wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:21 pm Has anyone who had marmot problems also had full skid plates (radiator to past the transaxle? Just curious, I wonder if I'm still at risk.
I have never had an issue with anything chewing wires, but after reading WildWanderer's Carson trip report, I was a bit paranoid. Parked at Molas Lake trailhead 2 weeks ago and heard a chirp underneath the car. Come to find a marmot between the engine and my RCI full skid plate. I don't know how it fit in there, but he had squished himself in somehow. Not sure if it had just jumped in or if I had picked it up in Yankee Boy where I had camped for 2 nights. Spent a half an hour poking at it with poles to try and get it out, finally just gave up and figured it would be pissed enough just to leave on its own after our backpack trip. Seems like I got lucky and it did leave on its own. Only some wire wrap chewed up.
Barnold41
14ers: 15 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Barnold41 »

Squirrels chewed up some wiring on my wife's car when we were in college. Little bastards did some hefty damage.
crowdsurf
14ers: 46  2 
13ers: 11 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by crowdsurf »

I saw a car at the Willow Creek TH this weekend with a bottle of bleach surrounded by a plastic grocery bag underneath their car. There was a TH report of a bear breaking into cars. Has anyone else done this?
Last edited by crowdsurf on Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Thin air is addictive. The more I climb at altitude the more I realize I'm not in it totally for the view, or the exercise, or the company. Often, it's for the air. And I find myself judging a climb based on how strong my air felt." -from 14ers.com user tedeliason
E_A_Marcus_949
Trip Reports (7)

Post by E_A_Marcus_949 »

That's...interesting. Can't say I've heard of or seen that method. Not sure how I feel about bleach like that, especially if it were to be spilled everywhere... what does that do for the environment around? Nothing good. For bears I think as long as you have food, food wrappers, water bottles, coolers, etc. covered up you should be good. Lock the car too as some bears have become savvy and know how to open doors...

At Grizzly Gulch this last weekend I was the one and only car wrapped in snow fencing. Looks stupid, but I'm all for it and paranoid... especially after hearing from one person he had something under his car the prior week and another that had something chew through something on their car as well.
montanahiker
14ers: 38 
13ers: 185
Trip Reports (0)

Post by montanahiker »

E_A_Marcus_949 wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:57 am That's...interesting. Can't say I've heard of or seen that method. Not sure how I feel about bleach like that, especially if it were to be spilled everywhere... what does that do for the environment around? Nothing good. For bears I think as long as you have food, food wrappers, water bottles, coolers, etc. covered up you should be good. Lock the car too as some bears have become savvy and know how to open doors...

At Grizzly Gulch this last weekend I was the one and only car wrapped in snow fencing. Looks stupid, but I'm all for it and paranoid... especially after hearing from one person he had something under his car the prior week and another that had something chew through something on their car as well.
What kind of fencing do you have - just whatever comes up on an Amazon search or a particular kind? - and do you have to put something between it and your vehicle to prevent scratching? I'm going to the Lake City area next month and want to get prepared after taking my chances the last two times I was there.
There's more to life than 14ers. There are 13ers.
E_A_Marcus_949
Trip Reports (7)

Post by E_A_Marcus_949 »

After reading about others that use it and their process, I went with something like this https://smile.amazon.com/Tenax-2A060006 ... t=1&sr=8-4

Since it's plastic it doesn't scratch your car. Why I opted not to use chicken wire I have. I folded it under and used rocks to hold it down; used zip ties (rope would work) to hold it up on door handles, etc.

Edit: Yeah yeah I'm part of the Suby crowd. Don't dis the Forester. :lol:
montanahiker
14ers: 38 
13ers: 185
Trip Reports (0)

Post by montanahiker »

E_A_Marcus_949 wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:15 pm After reading about others that use it and their process, I went with something like this https://smile.amazon.com/Tenax-2A060006 ... t=1&sr=8-4

Since it's plastic it doesn't scratch your car. Why I opted not to use chicken wire I have. I folded it under and used rocks to hold it down; used zip ties (rope would work) to hold it up on door handles, etc.

Edit: Yeah yeah I'm part of the Suby crowd. Don't dis the Forester. :lol:
Thanks! Exactly the info/pics I was looking for.
There's more to life than 14ers. There are 13ers.
MBeats
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MBeats »

We’ve camped at American Basin twice and didn’t have any issues, but after my husband read some of these posts we decided to do it this time. We used green snow fencing (I could only find a 100’ x 4’ section on Amazon at the time). We could’ve cut it but decided to wrap it around twice for extra protection and used binder clips to secure it, and also wrapped it around the mirrors for stability. To access the vehicle, we closed the back hatch over the fencing and were able to get into the car through the back. It worked well, and was definitely of interest to the people coming by. $25 for fencing beats being stranded and getting towed out for $1k!
Attachments
0A26F2E3-FC4D-4114-894B-EA1CEBECB987.jpeg
0A26F2E3-FC4D-4114-894B-EA1CEBECB987.jpeg (254.74 KiB) Viewed 5010 times
Last edited by MBeats on Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
docjohn
Trip Reports (7)

Post by docjohn »

How is it the marmots and porkies don't chew through the plastic? They certainly chew through any wire covers with ease. Having to face wire repair both with marmots and field mice (common hazard for ranchers and farmers), I'd like to know more about the=is inexpensice method.
...let me remind you of the pilgrim who asked for an audience with the Dalai Lama.
He was told he must first spend five years in contemplation. After the five years, he was ushered into the Dalai Lama's presence, who said, 'Well, my son, what do you wish to know?' So the pilgrim said, 'I wish to know the meaning of life, father.'
And the Dalai Lama smiled and said, 'Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?'

procol harum
RyGuy
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 230 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by RyGuy »

docjohn wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:22 pm How is it the marmots and porkies don't chew through the plastic? They certainly chew through any wire covers with ease. Having to face wire repair both with marmots and field mice (common hazard for ranchers and farmers), I'd like to know more about the=is inexpensice method.
They are interested in the wiring, but this is a solid deterrent. It's not like they are rabid and will stop at nothing to get under your car. They lose interest pretty quickly and will go check out something else. (Or someone else's car)

-Ryan
"Climbing mountains is the only thing I know that combines the best of the physical, spiritual, and emotional world all rolled into one." -Steve Gladbach