Do you marmot proof your car?

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Snow_Dog_frassati
14ers: 58  8  5 
13ers: 84 4 9
Trip Reports (0)

Do you marmot proof your car?

Post by Snow_Dog_frassati »

Today animal control had to remove a very unhappy marmot I picked up in American Basin. The little man hitchhiked all the way to my home in Cenntenial through creek crossings, 4×4 trails and snowstorms! (Nearly 300 miles!!!) He's being taken back home by some dedicated Parks and Wildlife volunteers. It doesn't appear he did much damage but it raises the question for me, does anyone marmot proof their car? I can't imagine having your car incapacitated somewhere remote or inaccessible like the top of American Basin or Nellie Creek where I was yesterday.

So far in my research it seems popular methods are chicken wire, tarps, mothballs, coyote urine and chemical repellents. What seems to work best? Are there any others that work well?

To me the chicken wire/ tarp method seems like a hassle especially if you sleep in your car the way I like to but the other options seem a little more iffy as far as effectiveness.

From what I gather the little dudes are most problematic in the San Juans and the Elks and possibly the Sangres? I didn't read much about them making themselves known in the Sawatch or Front Range. I've heard of them being a problem near Snowmass, South Colony Lakes, American Basin, Sneffels and Nellie Creek in particular. All of those are places I'm hoping to climb this year and I would really like to avoid another hitchhiker or worse a destroyed vehicle.

It also seems they are more of a concern in the early season? I did a lot of hiking in the Sawatch last year July-Sept and didn't have any issues but I'm still fairly fresh to the 14er bagging scene with only one season of focused hiking behind me. I'm curious how other people with more seasons behind them approach the marmot/porcupine problem.

Was I just unlucky or should I really be worried about this?
"A good decision yesterday doesn't absolve me from a bad decision today"
MichaelWG
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Do you marmot proof your car?

Post by MichaelWG »

Lol, amazing story.

I've never heard of this being an issue in Colorado, but I recall that when I was researching White Mountain in California there were a lot of warnings about this happening at the trailhead. (Or maybe it was pika? either way, same thing). They recommended the tarp method, and I think forum posters said that was effective. Just roll out a tarp, drive onto it, and then wrap it around the front of your vehicle. I guess they could do some damage to the back too, but wrapping the entire car feels excessive. I'd just do the front end and give the brakes a few test-taps before getting on the highway.
Snow_Dog_frassati
14ers: 58  8  5 
13ers: 84 4 9
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Snow_Dog_frassati »

MichaelWG wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:48 pm Lol, amazing story.

I've never heard of this being an issue in Colorado, but I recall that when I was researching White Mountain in California there were a lot of warnings about this happening at the trailhead. (Or maybe it was pika? either way, same thing). They recommended the tarp method, and I think forum posters said that was effective. Just roll out a tarp, drive onto it, and then wrap it around the front of your vehicle. I guess they could do some damage to the back too, but wrapping the entire car feels excessive. I'd just do the front end and give the brakes a few test-taps before getting on the highway.
It was very odd, my dog was the one who found him of course. :lol:

The tarp could be a pain for car camping but I suppose you could modify/customize a tarp to make it more convenient. I agree it seems it could be overkill. I've never seen anyone with a tarp or chicken wire but I'm wondering if I'm just not in the know. Maybe it has to do with increased crowds as Colorado's population and thus backcountry use grows?
"A good decision yesterday doesn't absolve me from a bad decision today"
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

I've seen vehicles wrapped in chicken wire at trailheads in the Sawatch, Maroon Bells TH and Whitney Portal..I don't know if that worked or not.
Maybe sprinkling hot pepper or garlic around the area? That used to work for me on garden rodents eating my vegetables at least before rain.
I heard but never tried, that epsom salts could be effective.

Although this would be a pain in the neck (especially for rental car drivers), carry some backup hoses /clamps for those most vulnerable areas in the engine compartment and extra fluid / water in case they get eaten through.
Thinking the most vulnerable depend on accessibility of the model vehicle, brake lines, P/S, coolant, etc...
Iguru
14ers: 18 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Iguru »

Maybe it has to do with increased crowds as Colorado's population and thus backcountry use grows?
[/quote]

I haven't had marmot problems, but porcupines, ground squirrels and mice have all invaded my vehicle at one time or another in Colorado. Fortunately the mice did the most damage when they got in through the ventilation system and chewed the s**t out of paper and cardboard during the night. Since these invasions, I have had success with coyote urine and/or red fox urine. Either that or I just got lucky after it. I think as the animals see more and more friendly people either as a food source, or just being accepting of them, they have gotten braver and more curious about us. They surely have lost their normal fear.
I gotta get me an Avatar.
montanahiker
14ers: 38 
13ers: 185
Trip Reports (0)

Post by montanahiker »

Some of the methods might be ok if you are tent camping or while you are off hiking but what works best if you sleep in your vehicle?
There's more to life than 14ers. There are 13ers.
cottonmountaineering
14ers: 58  7  18 
13ers: 178 38 31
Trip Reports (1)

Post by cottonmountaineering »

only issue ive had was with a porcupine, but i just shooed it away

This is what i've seen as far as prevention is concerned

https://www.google.com/search?q=bugaboo ... 20&bih=969
cottonmountaineering
14ers: 58  7  18 
13ers: 178 38 31
Trip Reports (1)

Post by cottonmountaineering »

Iguru wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:36 pm
Maybe it has to do with increased crowds as Colorado's population and thus backcountry use grows?
I haven't had marmot problems, but porcupines, ground squirrels and mice have all invaded my vehicle at one time or another in Colorado. Fortunately the mice did the most damage when they got in through the ventilation system and chewed the s**t out of paper and cardboard during the night. Since these invasions, I have had success with coyote urine and/or red fox urine. Either that or I just got lucky after it. I think as the animals see more and more friendly people either as a food source, or just being accepting of them, they have gotten braver and more curious about us. They surely have lost their normal fear.
[/quote]

anecdotally - ive only seen this happen at popular trailheads. Only ever have rodent problems (trying to get into my food etc) at popular campsites. Seems the solution to both problems is to get off the beaten path a little bit
Altitude High
14ers: 26 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Altitude High »

I also think it's mostly an early season problem. In September or later I've never noticed a marmot near my car.
gzrrnnr
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 94
Trip Reports (0)

Post by gzrrnnr »

A marmot chewed some wires in the San Juans years ago, but despite the warning lights, I made it back to Durango. It cost $147 to get the repairs. Since then, I have used a strong coyote urine spraypurchased at a hunting shop., and had no more problems. I use it near and above timberline when parking, and spray all four wheels and the engine block..
bdwyer
14ers: 58 
13ers: 640
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bdwyer »

Several of my friends, parked at both popular and at remote T/H locations, have come back from a day of hiking or from days of backpacking to cars that would not start due to chewed wires. One up near Hermit Pass. Resulted in expensive towing and repairs, and of course delays/inconvenience. I've been lucky and it has never happened to my Subaru, but I think this year I will go with a roll of wire with local rocks to hold it down while gone. I have critter ridder product and moth balls, but same several friends said these did not work for them and rain washes it out anyway. I agree that the mesh and tarp alternatives are a hassle when you sleep in the car.
One friend told me he had all his wiring wrapped with something that deters the critters but he still wraps the car with the mesh in addition. Once stranded and expensed this way, forever cautious.
stoopdude
14ers: 57  3 
13ers: 72
Trip Reports (0)

Post by stoopdude »

I recently got extensive rodent damage on my car in Denver. I mostly commute by bike and generally drive my car only on weekends to leave town, and a rabbit or squirrel got in and chewed up some wiring. Ultimately cost me like $1000 to fix it all. Since then I've been using a couple different sprays to try to prevent animals from exploring my car. You can order some of these products online, but lately I've been using a homemade concoction of water, peppermint oil, cayenne pepper, and vinegar. I spray it in my wheel wells every other day or so. Does it work? I don't know, but I don't have any more rodent damage. The whole saga made me realize how catastrophic it could be if one of these animals chewed thru the wrong wire while you're parked at American Basin or something.

So yeah I strongly recommend marmot-proofing, especially from a cost-benefit analysis. Could really ruin your week.