San Luis Peak - Camping at West Willow Creek TH

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
marcusmartin
14ers: 29 
Trip Reports (0)

San Luis Peak - Camping at West Willow Creek TH

Post by marcusmartin »

Going to do San Luis Peak from the South Ridge starting at the West Willow Creek TH.

Does anyone know if you can camp at the WWC TH, or is there dispersed camping north of Creede along Road 503?

Thanks,
Marcus
Ptglhs
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 86 3
Trip Reports (4)

Re: San Luis Peak - Camping at West Willow Creek TH

Post by Ptglhs »

Yes, you can. I was there this am. The road up from equity mine needs decent clearance 4wd. There are a couple of big ruts. TH camping makes the most sense for that peak IMO.
Cruiser
14ers: 50 
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Cruiser »

My recollection was that there wasn't a ton of flat ground outside the parking area right at the th but that there were a couple of established pulloffs in pretty close proximity along the road. My crew was a bit larger that trip though so we needed a little more space for tents. If you were solo you would surely have an easier time finding a spot to pitch near the parking lot.
Where ever you are... There you are.
Ptglhs
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Ptglhs »

CaptCO wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:22 pm x2 I was up there last year in a RWD F150 and was disappointed at the camping around equity mine. To be fair it was pitch black outside
The equity mine is about 2 miles from the TH. There are spots near the TH to camp: a couple of tents were set up there yesterday and this am, or you camp just up the trail before the CDT split, downstream in the willows, etc.
Ptglhs
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Ptglhs »

CaptCO wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:28 pm The road that turns left at the mine correct? That road was a little gnarly for me to drive on with stock clearance at night..
Correct. I was dropped off there by the driver of a stock highlander who didn't want to return for pickup. I thought the drive was fine with an SUV but you're correct that a couple of spots are gnarly, I described them as such too.
ncxhjhgvbi
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 58 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ncxhjhgvbi »

I was there in mid-May and we found a spot for a large tent about .5 miles before the Equity Mine on the right/east side of the road and set up there at about 11,000'. It has great views but is exposed to the wind on the north side (it ended up being a very cold and windy night). We didn't see it on the way up - only on the way down on the left when we turned around to look for a good flat spot. We then found a much larger site on our way out with two firepits and plenty of space on the west side of the road about .75 miles from the mine. This one is tucked away a bit, but has room for multiple tents and is surrounded by trees and a hill to the north. I think it would be very hard to notice these at night. From both it would probably be 15-20 mins to the TH depending on mud conditions/vehicle capability. I think there was one flat-ish spot on the west side of the 4x4 road about .2 miles from the creek crossing. It had a very small firepit but is very exposed. I think it depends on how you feel about those variables - the basin is beautiful and if you can handle the cold and wind or have a warm night camping by the trailhead would be pretty great. Of note, a ranger passed us as we were setting up camp at the first site mentioned so I believe it is ok to camp there.
wineguy
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 143
Trip Reports (7)

Post by wineguy »

I camped out there last night and climbed San Luis today. Several grassy areas near the TH to pitch a tent, though none are as flat as I would like. I slept in my SUV but two tents were pitched nearby. I made it to the TH in my Acura RDX (comparable to RAV4) without a problem, though I got out twice to plot a route through two rough spots. Never touched bottom. I was by far the lightest duty vehicle at the TH. Lots of ATV traffic during the day.
"Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs. I am haunted by waters." - Norman Maclean
marcusmartin
Trip Reports (0)

Post by marcusmartin »

This is very helpful information! Thank you to each of you.
JacerJack
14ers: 58  3  3 
13ers: 11 3 1
Trip Reports (6)

Post by JacerJack »

Marcus - you should have no problems finding a place to camp on your way up to the TH. If you see a good spot on your way up, I'd jump on it, as camping at the TH is somewhat limited. At the TH itself, there is one spot with a fire ring and enough flat(ish) ground for maybe 2 or 3 tents (located just behind my truck in the photo below). We slept in the truck at the TH and there is enough parking and flat ground for maybe 3 or 4 vehicles to do the same. A few weeks ago, the road was a nightmare past the creek crossing, but it sounds like it's relatively dry now. Enjoy!

huffy13
14ers: 22 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (30)

Post by huffy13 »

My hiking partner and I were able to camp at the WWC TH at the end of the 4-wheel drive road. As others have said previously, there is not a lot of level places along the road, and much of the land on the way there is on private land, so options are limited. But there are quite a few suitable, fairly level spots at the end of the road. I did post a pic of our tents in my trip report from a couple years ago. It's literally just a few yards from the TH sign.
Seems like the times that I need a mountain the most are the times that I can not get to them.
marcusmartin
Trip Reports (0)

Post by marcusmartin »

Thanks all for the very helpful information - I really do appreciate it! Marcus