New Ford Bronco

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
Please do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
susanjoypaul
14ers:summits58 winter2 
13ers:summits87 winter6 
Trip Reports (2)

Re: New Ford Bronco

Post by susanjoypaul » Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:12 pm

nyker wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:57 pm
Has anyone taken delivery yet?? Heard some models will be out in late 2020.
You're thinking of the Bronco Sport, which is a different model. The Bronco won't be out until next summer. They start taking orders in December, with reservations prior to September 18 getting MY2021s and those September 18 and later getting MY2022s. So it will be a while.
nyker
14ers:summits58 
13ers:summits22 
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker » Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:56 pm

susanjoypaul wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:12 pm
nyker wrote:
You're thinking of the Bronco Sport, which is a different model. The Bronco won't be out until next summer. They start taking orders in December, with reservations prior to September 18 getting MY2021s and those September 18 and later getting MY2022s. So it will be a while.
Ah yea. Too bad, I was hoping you'd have some good stories already as an early owner.
CaptCO
14ers:summits58 winter12 
13ers:summits43 
Trip Reports (5)

Post by CaptCO » Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:58 pm

nyker wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:56 pm
susanjoypaul wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:12 pm
nyker wrote:
Ah yea. Too bad, I was hoping you'd have some good stories already as an early owner.
I’ve worked for Ford Service before and the recalls are no questions asked, done in an hour or two. Just sayin’
"It's a thing if you want it to be a thing. What others think of something is irrelevant." -OldSchool
Paula
14ers:summits58 winter1 
13ers:summits60 

Post by Paula » Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:14 pm

Dave B wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:22 pm
Boggy B wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:56 pm
I'm getting this one: https://www.gmc.com/electric-truck/hummer-ev
This is going to confuse the s**t out of a lot of middle America, big-dick energy in a little-dick package. Or maybe it's little-dick energy in a little-dick package, YMMV.
Long and narrow. Not technically a little dick, but also not satisfying.
justiner wrote:^^^ This person foods.
summitbound
14ers:summits58 winter6 
13ers:summits6 
Trip Reports (25)

Post by summitbound » Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:51 am

I am a huge Bronco fan. I still own a 96 that I bought nearly new in 96. Its a beast but its biggest challenges are its size and fuel economy. I have been waiting years for Ford to finally release a new version.

I am one of those that will need to see it in person and drive it for final opinion, but I must say I am impressed so far. Ford is clearly gunning for the Jeep buyer market and it looks like they hit a home run with it. As others have mentioned. Ford put a ton of thought into the new Bronco. Watch any number of YouTube videos and you can see the attention to detail and function that has been put into it. Every issue or after market solution seems to have been addressed right from the factory.

While they are most likely going to get the bulk of their sales from the pavement princesses and mall crawlers of the world, its a legit off road vehicle. Someone made a comment about busting an oil pan on Como, anything is possible, but not likely here. Ford has not been shy about putting the new Bronco though its paces on every noteworthy 4x4 trail in America. Its taken on Moab, the Rubicon, as well as several 4x4 roads here in CO. It will be fine on the road to Lake Como.

There is a lot of discussion on various forums about IFS vs solid front axle. You will never convince the hardcore off road crowd that anything but solid axle is the way to go, but Ford is not after that tiny percentage of the market. They went with a compromise of perhaps slightly less off road prowess, in favor of superior ride quality. Having just spent 5 hours driving to Lake City for less than an hour of off pavement needs, I would go for this "tradeoff" 10 times out of 10.

Engines- lots of opinions out there on this one too. Ford has clearly moved all their light duty platforms to their ecoboost lineup. I doubt you will ever see a factory V8 in the Bronco, but the numbers they are getting are super impressive. Given the all in approach on these engines, if there are quality issues, they will have to work them out, too many sales are dependent on them.

Lots of people complaining about the price. Toss out the high end "every option checked" model and start with the base model, you will still find it very well equipped and very capable for most people. Its price is super competitive with same base model Jeep as well as any other 4x4 in a similar class. The overall car market is just expensive. Ford has the edge (for now) in that they offer newer design and better technology for the same price. IMO its apples and oranges to try and put a Xterra or FJ in mix, they don't produce these vehicles anymore.

Styling- lol lots of opinions on this one. For me its true to its roots, you put it side by side with an early Bronco and there is no mistaking where its styling came from. They even digitized in the lines of an actual early Bronco to use. Does it share a similar vibe with FJs and others out there? sure. It could easily be argued those models borrowed their look from the original Bronco. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder for me.

Manual vs automatic- This is all personal preference at this point. I think the advantages and conveniences of an automatic far outweigh those of a manual. I do believe I read that Ford has listened to consumer feedback and you can get the manual with the bigger engine now.

I'll wait a year or two to see if there are any kinks that Ford needs to work out and try and snag a new\used one for a cheaper price.

At lest Ford came to the game ready to play, they could have taken the Chevy Blazer route and produced another identity challenged over saturated soccer mom "SUV" The Bronco is a breath of fresh air in that category and hopefully will inspire Jeep to step up its game as well, IMO Jeep has become a little lax in owning that marketspace for so long. When there is competition its a win-win situation for the consumer.
"The mountains are calling and I must go." John Muir
nyker
14ers:summits58 
13ers:summits22 
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker » Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:20 am

summitbound wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:51 am

At lest Ford came to the game ready to play, they could have taken the Chevy Blazer route and produced another identity challenged over saturated soccer mom "SUV" ...
True, nice to see a rugged looking new Bronco not the cookie cutter looking SUV like many others getting lost in the masses
CaptCO
14ers:summits58 winter12 
13ers:summits43 
Trip Reports (5)

Post by CaptCO » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:31 am

"Ford's stated goal for the Baja 1000 was to validate and test parts of the production Bronco, including the bone-stock 2.7-liter EcoBoost engine and 10-speed automatic transmission that powered the racing prototype"

https://www.autoblog.com/2020/11/22/for ... haus-boot/
"It's a thing if you want it to be a thing. What others think of something is irrelevant." -OldSchool