New Ford Bronco

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
cottonmountaineering
14ers: 58  7  18 
13ers: 178 38 31
Trip Reports (1)

Re: New Ford Bronco

Post by cottonmountaineering »

highpilgrim wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:49 pm
BillMiddlebrook wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:24 pm
cottonmountaineering wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:12 pm lol bill with the fly rod holder hate

it does say "i only fish places right next to a road" though
I chuckle every time I see one, especially if a rig has more than one. Lol.
I’m ignorant on this, (and many other things) but can’t a fly rod holder just be a pvc tube from the hardware store?
yeah ive seen some homemade ones, i think having the holder is kinda silly unless you're a fly fishing guide
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

HikerGuy wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:32 pm A Ford Bronco spotted on the streets right now is most likely to be the Ford Bronco Sport model.
I saw another one today and yes after looking at it, it was the Sport model. I guess I never have seen the "real" one.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

cottonmountaineering wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:00 pm
highpilgrim wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:49 pm
BillMiddlebrook wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:24 pm
I chuckle every time I see one, especially if a rig has more than one. Lol.
I’m ignorant on this, (and many other things) but can’t a fly rod holder just be a pvc tube from the hardware store?
yeah ive seen some homemade ones, i think having the holder is kinda silly unless you're a fly fishing guide
Even then... I used to be a fishing guide and I would never use those. Either stick the rods in the truck or have rod racks out front for the beach (for surf casting).
Boggy B
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 777 76
Trip Reports (40)

Post by Boggy B »

The Sport Eds floating around here look like the Flex. Not sure why Ford wanted that to be everyone's first impression of the new Bronco.

They could also do themselves a favor and not post videos of testing the "offroad" eds at Mickey's Hot Tub. Any rig with decent angles and proper tire pressure can climb that without spinning and generally flailing. But maybe they're not airing down (I couldn't tell) because they want to see if them fancy computers can make up for lack of sense.
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

Boggy B wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:31 am because they want to see if them fancy computers can make up for lack of sense.
Thinking hard. Why think hard when car do drive for me?
Make wilderness less accessible.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Scott P wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:28 pmI saw another one today and yes after looking at it, it was the Sport model. I guess I never have seen the "real" one.
I saw one today for sure. It was parked on the north side of Rifle.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
CORed
14ers: 10  1 
13ers: 10 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by CORed »

Dave B wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:04 am I'm more of a truck guy, so wouldn't buy one, but I like the styling.

I agree their looks are a little reminiscent of Jeep/FJ bastard child, but they did retain some of the OG bronco lines. I'd also be pretty hesitant as an early adopter. I know it was a long time ago, but the Bronco II was such a POS, that new Ford models will need solid vetting.

Overall, 8/10. I'm sure this will add confusion to Texans looking for their first tough "Colorado" starter pack car to drive up the Alpine Visitor Center, especially since stock on the Jeep Gladiator is having a hard time keeping up with demand.
I owned a Bronco II for several years. It was the best off road vehicle I ever owned, but also probably one of the worst city/highway vehicles. Mine held up quite well (aside from going through three clutches in the time I owned it). Each clutch lasted 75,000 - 80,000 miles). Its short wheelbase, narrow track and outstanding clearance made it damn near unstoppable off road. The same features made it dangerously unstable and prone to rollovers in highway driving. Also, on gravel roads, it drove like somebody else was driving the back end, and he really wanted to be in front. It was also a bit underpowered, with a small OHV V6. Mine had a five speed manual. I suspect the ones with autos (4 speed, IIRC) were slower than the 5 speed. I loved it for its offroad capability, and its tight turning radius, and it had pretty good cargo space (with the back seat folded) for as small a vehicle as it was, but driving on anything other than rough back roads was always an adventure, and generally not in a good way. I bought it used with about 75,000 miles and junked it, when the third clutch went out (the engine was also showing signs of impending death) at about 225k. Far from the worst vehicle I ever owned, but certainly not the best.
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

I may need to take a trip to Australia... and find a crap ton more money than I have.

Special edition 70th anniversary 70 Series Land Cruiser:

Make wilderness less accessible.
cedica
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cedica »

Dave B wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:13 am Special edition 70th anniversary 70 Series Land Cruiser:
"4.5-liter turbodiesel V8 (...) five-speed manual (...)", left-side steering wheel? Total disrespect for Mad Max legacy! [-X Who ARE you, coal rolling southern man?
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

Dave B wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:13 am I may need to take a trip to Australia... and find a crap ton more money than I have.

Special edition 70th anniversary 70 Series Land Cruiser:

Psssssh. 82,000 Australian pesos is like $14,500. Anybody could afford that here. :mrgreen:
AT14er
14ers: 51 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by AT14er »

If you are a fan of the original, classic SUVs then you should check out bringatrailer.com. Odd name for the website, but it is an auction site for vintage and restored vehicles like the Broncos, Scouts, FJs, Rovers, and many other muscle/sports cars. The site usually has a few bizarre vehicles worth looking at, even decommissioned military tanks once and a while (although never seen a Bronco II). I check this site several times a day when in need of a break.
CORed
14ers: 10  1 
13ers: 10 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by CORed »

susanjoypaul wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:18 pm I had to google fly rod holder.

Nope. No roof-top tent either. My god, what kind of person do you think I am? I just want to get to the dang trailhead!
I really don't get rooftop tents. They are absurdly expensive, and the last thing I want to do is climb down a ladder when I need to pee in the middle of the night, and I'm old enough that happens more nights than not. I'd probably forget where I was and walk right off the roof.