New Ford Bronco

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
Please do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
justiner
14ers:summits58 winter4 
13ers:summits138 
Trip Reports (26)

Re: New Ford Bronco

Post by justiner » Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:21 am

spiderman wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:16 am
I am sure that little Spiderman would do more hikes with me if I had a Bronco instead of a Civic. Long walks on 4wd roads is not high up on his wish list for weekend activities. Builds character, huh?
Get 'em a bike.
spiderman
14ers:summits58 winter3 
13ers:summits26 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by spiderman » Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:37 am

justiner wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:21 am
spiderman wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:16 am
I am sure that little Spiderman would do more hikes with me if I had a Bronco instead of a Civic. Long walks on 4wd roads is not high up on his wish list for weekend activities. Builds character, huh?
Get 'em a bike.
See, Little Spiderman, you and your college friends should get into the Long Ranger style of biking to trailheads from Golden. Work off all of that fat from sitting in the office all summer earning money instead of being in the mountains. Y'all need to keep up with your dad's unfathamoable inconceivable endurance :bicep: by doing 200 mile approaches on two wheels. \:D/
justiner
14ers:summits58 winter4 
13ers:summits138 
Trip Reports (26)

Post by justiner » Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:23 pm

No I just meant the few miles of 4x4 road that this vehicle is I guess being considered for.
stephakett
14ers:summits28 
13ers:summits34 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by stephakett » Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:48 pm

i, too, am a stubborn automotive traditionalist and a lover of the manual trans, but i would imagine that Ford would utilize a "Manumatic" shifter in the automatics. it works FABULOUSLY well on my 4runner, both in 4L on trail, and in 2H when traveling up and down mountains.

truthfully... and this is so painful for me to admit... it's a hard argument to go back to a clutch when i spend most weekends sitting in mountain rush hour.
“My father considered a walk among the mountains as the equivalent of churchgoing.” (Aldous Huxley)
Dave B
14ers: List not added
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B » Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:28 pm

stephakett wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:48 pm
it's a hard argument to go back to a clutch when i spend most weekends sitting in mountain rush hour.
Or any rush hour.

I was a staunch manual trans kinda-guy. 2 years of Erie -> Boulder commutes ended it for me, surprised my wife didn't divorce me too given the absolutely shitty moods I would return home in...
spiderman
14ers:summits58 winter3 
13ers:summits26 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by spiderman » Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:02 pm

justiner wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:23 pm
No I just meant the few miles of 4x4 road that this vehicle is I guess being considered for.
I fully support your modus operandi. Really doesn't make sense to sit behind the wheel for four hours when you could be on the saddle getting 15 hours of good exercise. Saves money for the parents of college kids, also.
Will_E
14ers:summits58 winter44 
13ers:summits74 winter1 
Trip Reports (11)

Post by Will_E » Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:33 pm

Dave B wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:28 pm
stephakett wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:48 pm
it's a hard argument to go back to a clutch when i spend most weekends sitting in mountain rush hour.
Or any rush hour.

I was a staunch manual trans kinda-guy. 2 years of Erie -> Boulder commutes ended it for me, surprised my wife didn't divorce me too given the absolutely shitty moods I would return home in...
Manual transmissions are the best! I wouldn’t be considering the Bronco were it not available in a 3 pedal version. I hope/plan to never own an automatic, I’ll be the last holdout.
pvnisher
Trip Reports (8)

Post by pvnisher » Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:27 pm

Will_E wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:33 pm

Manual transmissions are the best! I wouldn’t be considering the Bronco were it not available in a 3 pedal version. I hope/plan to never own an automatic, I’ll be the last holdout.
Citation needed.

After being a manual only person for 20 years, I've been forced into automatics. Other than the "I'm a cool guy" factor, it's pretty hard to argue that a manual beats an automatic. Except for burnouts and doughnuts and power slides. I'll give you that. And I also like it for the barrier to getting stolen angle.

It's a little bit like saying a 1959 Gibson LP through a Vox AC30 top boost is objectively better than a PRS CE24 through a Kemper and FRFR.
At some point it's just appealing to antiquity.
9patrickmurphy
14ers:summits37 winter2 
13ers:summits121 ski3 winter2 

Post by 9patrickmurphy » Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:59 am

pvnisher wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:27 pm
Will_E wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:33 pm

Citation needed.
Some people just find manuals more fun. It's difficult to argue for their practicality anymore (especially in offroading, automatic gives way more control), but there's plenty to be said for just gravitating to something you enjoy more. Same reason why people still telemark ski: it's way worse for big mountains nowadays since AT gear has gotten so good and so lightweight, but plenty of people prefer the feel of something that requires more out of the user. It's hard to argue that automatics aren't objectively better, but few people will argue that they're more fun to drive.
shelly+
14ers:summits29 winter2 

Post by shelly+ » Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:13 am

9patrickmurphy wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:59 am

Some people just find manuals more fun. It's difficult to argue for their practicality anymore.
i like to know i could always push start.... having been required to do it many times with various vehicles in different circumstances.
we were never being boring.
mtree

Post by mtree » Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:56 am

shelly+ wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:13 am
9patrickmurphy wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:59 am

Some people just find manuals more fun. It's difficult to argue for their practicality anymore.
i like to know i could always push start.... having been required to do it many times with various vehicles in different circumstances.
This.
It happened to more than one person I can recall. Its a reason I always try to park facing a downhill exit if at all possible.
The anti-theft device is also pretty compelling. No punks interested in a stick. Might as well be a helicopter cockpit.

The downside...tough to find someone to take you home if you need it!
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
susanjoypaul
14ers:summits58 winter2 
13ers:summits87 winter6 
Trip Reports (2)

Post by susanjoypaul » Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:05 am

mtree wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:56 am
This.
It happened to more than one person I can recall. Its a reason I always try to park facing a downhill exit if at all possible.
The anti-theft device is also pretty compelling. No punks interested in a stick. Might as well be a helicopter cockpit.

The downside...tough to find someone to take you home if you need it!
Just find an old person. We all learned on sticks. Me in a yellow VW bug in the San Bernardino mountains! You learn quick when there's mountain on one side and a cliff on the other :-D