Looking for Camping Info Between Buena Vista and Leadville

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Lioness
Trip Reports (0)

Looking for Camping Info Between Buena Vista and Leadville

Post by Lioness »

Hello all,
First post here and looking for some information about the camping situation between Buena Vista and Leadville. I have a small camper and I go between RV parks and boondocking - no hook ups. I've been looking at the 4 Mile area near Buena Vista and the Clear Creek Reservoir camping area.

News reports are saying that RV sales are soaring and I'm concerned about how crowded BLM and other camping spots are. Has anyone here been in that area recently? If so, can you tell me is the area crowded with RVers.

Thanks in advance.
johnt
14ers: 33 
13ers: 91
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Looking for Camping Info Between Buena Vista and Leadville

Post by johnt »

I hiked today in 4 Mile. The trailhead had 4 rigs camping. The 2 mile road in has no dispersed camping sites, yet two parties were pulled off on wide spots camping. I ran yesterday on the CT. Someone was camped there, and the TH only holds about 3 cars. Did a 13er in Horn Fork Basin a few days ago and there were a few open campsites on the N Cottonwood road. The rut at the start of the road (just before NFS sign) is the worst spot. If you can navigate that, you're good all the way.

Clear Creek dispersed camping can be very crowded, but I haven't been up there recently.

Arkansas River Rim Campground and Arrowhead Campground are both N of Buena Vista and are RV parks.

I'm sorry that I don't have good news for you. It's been pretty crazy here.
Lioness
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Lioness »

johnt wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:45 pm I hiked today in 4 Mile. The trailhead had 4 rigs camping. The 2 mile road in has no dispersed camping sites, yet two parties were pulled off on wide spots camping. I ran yesterday on the CT. Someone was camped there, and the TH only holds about 3 cars. Did a 13er in Horn Fork Basin a few days ago and there were a few open campsites on the N Cottonwood road. The rut at the start of the road (just before NFS sign) is the worst spot. If you can navigate that, you're good all the way.

Clear Creek dispersed camping can be very crowded, but I haven't been up there recently.

Arkansas River Rim Campground and Arrowhead Campground are both N of Buena Vista and are RV parks.

I'm sorry that I don't have good news for you. It's been pretty crazy here.
Thanks for the reply. I'm really concerned about what this summer will look like for RVers.
JQDivide
14ers: 58  33 
13ers: 115 1
Trip Reports (58)

Post by JQDivide »

The road along clear creek was nearly full of all types of campers (tents, cars, rvs) a couple weeks ago.

Pick any road that leads west out of the Ark Valley into the mountains, and you'll find a place to park/camp.
GreenHorn
Trip Reports (4)

Post by GreenHorn »

Just left BV a couple days ago. Most of the RV parks were full but did get a spot a Chalk Creek (south of BV). The NFS campgrounds in Chalk Creek canyon did not appear to be full. Clear Creek is a huge area , so even though there were many campers, it's hard to imagine it "full". If you have a small rig, some spots on half moon road may work for you. No idea on how full those are now.
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

The managed campgrounds next to Leadville Turquoise Lake are nice if you can get a reservation at this late date. They have a view of Elbert and Massive. Water recreation of all kinds too. Its 20 minutes to Elbert trailhead, hour to Shavano, with other Sawatches inbetween.