Upper (4WD) Nellie Creek Trailhead (Uncompahgre)

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
marcusmartin
14ers: 29 
Trip Reports (0)

Upper (4WD) Nellie Creek Trailhead (Uncompahgre)

Post by marcusmartin »

Are there campsites at the upper 4WD Nellie Creek TH for Uncompahgre Peak? If so, what are they like, how many, any other details would be helpful. How full have they been lately? Thanks! Marcus
markf
14ers: 56  2  9 
13ers: 21 1 2
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Upper (4WD) Nellie Creek Trailhead (Uncompahgre)

Post by markf »

https://freecampsites.net/#!207967&query=sitedetails
I was there last October and found plenty of flat ground to pitch a tent, but there was too much snow to see much else. There is an outhouse at the upper trailhead. ISTR a few spots where you could camp between the 2WD and 4WD trailheads.
mark
Mtnman200
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 440
Trip Reports (85)

Post by Mtnman200 »

There are several good campsites at the upper trailhead. It might be a challenge to get one of the sites on a weekend, but other sites are available a bit lower.

I haven’t camped at the upper TH since August so I can’t speak to current conditions.
"Adventure without risk is not possible." - Reinhold Messner
nmjameswilson
14ers: 58 
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nmjameswilson »

I was up there a couple weeks ago and there are plenty of spots. I am sure you know but the road is a 4 WD road for sure with a couple fun crossings.
mountainrev
14ers: 20 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mountainrev »

markf wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:29 pm https://freecampsites.net/#!207967&query=sitedetails
I was there last October and found plenty of flat ground to pitch a tent, but there was too much snow to see much else. There is an outhouse at the upper trailhead. ISTR a few spots where you could camp between the 2WD and 4WD trailheads.
The outhouse was closed a few years ago. It was still that way last time I was up there (two years ago). Has that changed?
Mtnman200
13ers: 440
Trip Reports (85)

Post by Mtnman200 »

mountainrev wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:33 pm
markf wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:29 pm https://freecampsites.net/#!207967&query=sitedetails
The outhouse was closed a few years ago. It was still that way last time I was up there (two years ago). Has that changed?
It was open when I was there in August 2019.
"Adventure without risk is not possible." - Reinhold Messner
marcusmartin
14ers: 29 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by marcusmartin »

Thanks all for the valuable input and suggestions. I really appreciate it.
gski
14ers: 50  1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by gski »

I was there last week and there were several spots scattered along the upper road.
two lunches
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (0)

Post by two lunches »

there are a handful of flat, dispersed spots in the trees within .5mi of the upper trailhead. when i was up there a couple weekends ago there were several tents set up around the upper parking lot, as well. the upper lot was not full when arrived on a friday evening, nor when i departed on saturday around 10am.

FWIW, i was confused about the hype for the first several miles of the Nellie Creek road as i was driving, wondering what everyone was fussing about on this site, but as it turns out.. that is ACTUALLY a 4WD road. i did not see any subarus at the top. ALSO if anyone was wondering while they're in the area, the Ouray side of Engineer Pass is not comparable to the Lake City Side..
“To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” – Mary Davis
onebyone
Trip Reports (0)

Post by onebyone »

To add to the rest, the half mile or so after the second stream crossing can be a bit of a bitch when wet. If dry no problem.

It’s def a 4 wheel drive road but nothing crazy imho
two lunches
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (0)

Post by two lunches »

onebyone wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:46 pm It’s def a 4 wheel drive road but nothing crazy imho
agree. zero concerns (in wet or dry conditions) if you have a 4x4 with decent clearance, low gears, and good tires. if you are lacking one of those things, expect concerns. if you are lacking two or more of those things, don't drive past the second creek.
“To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” – Mary Davis