New Fire in the Poudre Canyon

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Re: New Fire in the Poudre Canyon

Post by nyker »

Wow. That can't help. Hopefully not a lot of folks are in its path.
Roy1745, sorry to hear of the cabin.
dpage
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 28 3
Trip Reports (1)

Post by dpage »

Big Thompson Canyon is closed at the Dam Store now with mandatory evacuations for the lower canyon.
HikerGuy
13ers: 426 8
Trip Reports (9)

Post by HikerGuy »

The smoke plume from the East Troublesome Fire has blown into Boulder.
IMG_6331.jpg
IMG_6331.jpg (173.79 KiB) Viewed 4035 times
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

How are you folks in Ft Collins/Loveland feeling about things after today’s wind?
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

greenonion wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:12 pm How are you folks in Ft Collins/Loveland feeling about things after today’s wind?
My daughter is at CSU there in foco
Alpineair
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Alpineair »

My daughter took this yesterday in Loveland heading towards the Fort.
D48BCB87-0ABB-49FF-A380-CA06C24DC4F3.JPG
D48BCB87-0ABB-49FF-A380-CA06C24DC4F3.JPG (72.13 KiB) Viewed 3758 times
Adverse conditions may exist-CDOT
Cygnus X1
14ers: 44  1 
13ers: 17
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Cygnus X1 »

I was walking my dog a couple hours ago near the Boyd Lake State Park headquarters and flames are now visible from here. Appears to be on the ridge this side of CR27 and between Hwy 34 and Masonville.
cougar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 135 2
Trip Reports (10)

Post by cougar »

Fire has spread into bobcat ridge and flames are very visible from west side of loveland. Latest report says about 200,000 acres.
http://www.listsofjohn.com/m/cougar

"If we don't change direction, we'll end up where we're going."
"Bushwhacking is like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're gonna get."
"Don't give up on your dreams, stay asleep"
herdbull
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (1)

Post by herdbull »

timewarp01 wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:15 pm Was out hitting some of the peaks on the north edge of RMNP today and saw a big new forest fire on the way out. Here's a pic from Long Draw Road:

And my view of the area earlier in the day before the fire started:

They were shutting down all the roads as I was driving out, lots of emergency vehicles and small aircraft in the area. This is gonna be a pretty bad fire season for the US.
Here's an article on the fire:
https://www.coloradoan.com/story/news/2 ... 371627001/
question for the OP. Have you contacted the forest service and offered any photos you may have taken? I know they were investigating the origin and looking for any photos taken early on. You have some quality pics of the same day before/after. Just a thought.
timewarp01
14ers: 55  10 
13ers: 48 2
Trip Reports (5)

Post by timewarp01 »

herdbull wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:34 pm question for the OP. Have you contacted the forest service and offered any photos you may have taken? I know they were investigating the origin and looking for any photos taken early on. You have some quality pics of the same day before/after. Just a thought.
I have not; my 'before' pics were taken 3-4 hours before it started from Pk 12,308 and as soon as I took them I began hiking east, eventually descending the south ridge of Fall Mountain. As a result, I either had my back turned or mountains blocking my view of the fire basically the entire day until I arrived back at the Corral Creek trailhead. By the time I first noticed the smoke and got a good view of the plume there were already aircraft in the area and a significant ground presence.
herdbull
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (1)

Post by herdbull »

I think they would still be interested in them. The investigation is still ongoing as to what started it. Doesn't appear there was storms around. I know on some other website they were asking for people or pics of the area in the early stages of the fire to contact them. Might not hurt to touch base with them. the timeline might help them piece things together.

edit: I love Long Draw road
ker0uac
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ker0uac »

Sorry for the lazy question but can anyone point me to where I can see a radar/satellite live image of smoke conditions?
Those who travel to mountain-tops are half in love with themselves and half in love with oblivion