Maroon Bells Reservations/Access

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Harrison1991
14ers: 10 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Maroon Bells Reservations/Access

Post by Harrison1991 »

cougar wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:30 am RMNP is also resuming timed entry permits this summer, a couple weeks after they said they wouldn't. And moved the start of that window to 5am. Separate time permits for bear lake rd and the rest of the park.
Looks like I’ll be arriving at 4 am, when I visit this summer 😉
dwoodward13
14ers: 58  12 
13ers: 157 6
Trip Reports (1)

Post by dwoodward13 »

cougar wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:30 am RMNP is also resuming timed entry permits this summer, a couple weeks after they said they wouldn't. And moved the start of that window to 5am. Separate time permits for bear lake rd and the rest of the park.
I'm personally a fan of some of the permit systems for the most used places in the state. Visited Maroon Lake two different trips and had no issues with reservations. Yes, planning ahead is required, but it was so much more enjoyable to not have hundreds of people at the lake. Not to mention the reduced impact. I liked what Rocky did last year too and think some sort of permit process is probably the way to move forward with some modifications. Its just too popular of a place and will only continue to get overrun if they don't start to manage crowds. But woof I think they blew this one, especially after flip flopping. This going to be confusing for a lot of people not familiar with the park and probably create a *ton* of headaches for park staff. Starts Memorial Day weekend.

Two permit options:
Bear Lake Rd Corridor, needed from 5am to 6pm. Looks like this starts at the Moraine Park turnoff, ie includes Moraine Park, Fern Lake Area, Bear Lake, ect
Rest of the Park (non BLRC), needed from 9am to 3pm
PJ88
14ers: 34 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (0)

Post by PJ88 »

Sounds like even with the reservation system everyone was flocking to Bear Lake and the rest of the park was being neglected last year. With all of the closures still active in the park I would imagine it would have gotten even worse this summer. I was able to get camping reservations for this coming fall but noticed they weren't even opening some loops due to anticipated lack of staffing and many dates were already full. This is probably good for this year but the flip flopping isn't a good look. It was pretty easy to see some of these issues coming so I am not sure why they said 'no' so soon. I used the reservation system once last year and it worked fine.
HikerGuy
14ers: 58 
13ers: 426 8
Trip Reports (9)

Post by HikerGuy »

CaptCO wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:54 am I just hope weather works out for TP/LP if I’m able to grab a reservation.
I need Lightning and 13631. I'm thinking about backpacking in from Schofield just to avoid the Maroon Lake shitshow.
askwjs
13ers: 65 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by askwjs »

The end of last year, no ride share or taxi services were offering rides past the gate for the Bells Wilderness, even early morning drop offs. You would have to have someone drive you in and leave.

You can try to getting a camping permit for one of the campsites in the Wilderness area and you get parking passes
desertdog
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 273 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by desertdog »

HikerGuy wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:08 am
CaptCO wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:54 am I just hope weather works out for TP/LP if I’m able to grab a reservation.
I need Lightning and 13631. I'm thinking about backpacking in from Schofield just to avoid the Maroon Lake shitshow.
I would like to do those if you would like a partner. Richard
The summit is a source of power. The long view gives one knowledge and time to prepare. The summit, by virtue of the dizzying exposure, leaves one vulnerable. A bit of confidence and a dash of humility is all we get for our work. Yet to share these moments with friends is to be human. C. Anker
angry
14ers: 58  45 
13ers: 231 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by angry »

desertdog wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:43 pm
HikerGuy wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:08 am I need Lightning and 13631. I'm thinking about backpacking in from Schofield just to avoid the Maroon Lake shitshow.
I need em both too and would join you guys (Richard & Troy) although I am much slower pace. Can make up for my turtle speed with charming personality :lol:
jbealer
14ers: 58  21 
13ers: 175 9
Trip Reports (6)

Post by jbealer »

angry wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:37 pm
HikerGuy wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:08 am I need Lightning and 13631. I'm thinking about backpacking in from Schofield just to avoid the Maroon Lake shitshow.
I need em both too and would join you guys (Richard & Troy) although I am much slower pace. Can make up for my turtle speed with charming personality :lol:
I can keep you company Rose!
No Mountain too steep, No trail too long....
illusion7il
14ers: 58  2  57 
13ers: 261 1 1
Trip Reports (4)

Post by illusion7il »

HikerGuy wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:08 am
We didn't feel like messing around with the reservation system last year so we did Pyramid in a day from Schofield. Total mileage came to around 26 miles with almost 9K gain. Good Times!
desertdog
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 273 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by desertdog »

angry wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:37 pm
Right Rose. You must have forgotten we are instagram buds and I saw what you did this winter. You want'a talk slow, now I'm slow, but I've got some good stories to tell. :-D Let's plan on doing these. I'm out the first three weeks of June, other than that, I'm in. R
The summit is a source of power. The long view gives one knowledge and time to prepare. The summit, by virtue of the dizzying exposure, leaves one vulnerable. A bit of confidence and a dash of humility is all we get for our work. Yet to share these moments with friends is to be human. C. Anker
angry
14ers: 58  45 
13ers: 231 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by angry »

desertdog wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:04 pm Right Rose. You must have forgotten we are instagram buds and I saw what you did this winter. You want'a talk slow, now I'm slow, but I've got some good stories to tell. :-D Let's plan on doing these. I'm out the first three weeks of June, other than that, I'm in. R
jbealer wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:21 pm I can keep you company Rose!
Ok you two, pencil me in!