Owen B access...

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Tufftommy-BV
14ers: 57  4 
13ers: 509
Trip Reports (0)

Owen B access...

Post by Tufftommy-BV »

There are several good trip reports for Owen B showing routes up from Irwin and Green. I’ve also read there are access issues. Anyone know what the legal climbing route (if any) might be? I’ll be in CB this week and wouldn’t mind a quick jaunt up Owen. Thanks! TT
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted....
powhound
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Owen B access...

Post by powhound »

I hiked up to Scarp Ridge summit a few days ago and was wondering about the same thing. I believe the current suggested route is continuing west on Scarp Ridge, dropping down a bit and traversing over to the Green Lake Road, joining it above the disputed private property. Checking my map, it appears this way will still cross another tiny strip of private property right by Green Lake. You could rise/drop again and wiggle around it to keep it completely legal. However, even before this additional annoying detour, this route already adds extra distance and unnecessary extra elevation gain.
Driving out from the trailhead, I took a quick picture of this FS sign which was at the bottom of the road up to Green Lake. Apologies for the crappy quality but you can still mostly read it. This got me thinking, maybe you could park at the Dyke TH and bushwhack your way to the ridge, then up and over the 12er Ruby. Looks like you'd need to do a little navigating to keep it all on public land. I'm curious about this way as I'd like to tag Ruby anyway. My photos of this ridge don't show any obvious gashes/notches that would make it sketchy, but you never know what you'll find - there are some tighter contour lines getting up to the ridge, which could be miserable if it's crazy steep scree and not grass. If you do get Owen, please report back how you went about it.
IMG_0089.JPG
IMG_0089.JPG (87.15 KiB) Viewed 1760 times
Tufftommy-BV
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Tufftommy-BV »

Thanks, Pow. I did see the S access from Dyke but like you mention, the lines look pretty close just S of Ruby. Might be a fun scramble but I’ll have my 🐶 with me on this trip and I’d like to keep it max at 2+ if I can. I’ll likely give your other suggestion a go as it was my backup: Scarp via trail 419, though it’s not very direct. Or, I could wait 15 years until this is resolved! ☹️
Flyingfish
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 533 2 16
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Flyingfish »

I would suggest hiking up to the S ridge of Ruby (12er) and doing an out and back to Owen north.
Tufftommy-BV
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Tufftommy-BV »

Flyingfish wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:34 pm I would suggest hiking up to the S ridge of Ruby (12er) and doing an out and back to Owen north.
I looked at that option- on the Lat 40 map via the Dyke trail - but wasn’t able to determine the route difficulty. As I wrote, I’m bringing my dog and would prefer to keep it under 3rd class if possible. Any idea what it goes at? Thanks, FF!
Flyingfish
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 533 2 16
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Flyingfish »

Tufftommy-BV wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:26 pm
Flyingfish wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:34 pm I would suggest hiking up to the S ridge of Ruby (12er) and doing an out and back to Owen north.
I looked at that option- on the Lat 40 map via the Dyke trail - but wasn’t able to determine the route difficulty. As I wrote, I’m bringing my dog and would prefer to keep it under 3rd class if possible. Any idea what it goes at? Thanks, FF!
Its class 2. The hardest part is actually the south ridge of Owen. Ruby is very easy
CUaaron25
14ers: 58  2  4 
13ers: 150 2 2
Trip Reports (3)

Post by CUaaron25 »

Flyingfish wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:03 pm
Tufftommy-BV wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:26 pm
Its class 2. The hardest part is actually the south ridge of Owen. Ruby is very easy
This is how we did it with our dog!