Ice Lakes Fire

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
stoopdude
14ers: 57  3 
13ers: 72
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Ice Lakes Fire

Post by stoopdude »

bergsteigen wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:40 pm I really do hope they catch the arsonist. This isn’t a coincidence that a new fire starts every day with no lightning.
Seems hasty to assume arson? I mean it’s late October after a really dry summer and we still don’t have much precip. This stuff breaks my heart but it seems wild to think someone is driving around colorado lighting multiple fires. More likely tourists recklessly smoking joints or something.
two lunches
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (0)

Post by two lunches »

my guess is cigarette/joint-related but a campfire during a fire ban would be the icing on the dung cake that is 2020

PAY
ATTENTION
PEOPLE
“To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” – Mary Davis
bergsteigen
14ers: 58  52  18 
13ers: 538 100 12
Trip Reports (237)

Post by bergsteigen »

stoopdude wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:53 pm
bergsteigen wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:40 pm I really do hope they catch the arsonist. This isn’t a coincidence that a new fire starts every day with no lightning.
Seems hasty to assume arson? I mean it’s late October after a really dry summer and we still don’t have much precip. This stuff breaks my heart but it seems wild to think someone is driving around colorado lighting multiple fires. More likely tourists recklessly smoking joints or something.
Hasty? Sure. But I’m not the only one thinking this. Up until this year, the largest fire in Colorado history was arson.

I also consider gross negligence, arson. How stupid do you have to be?
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games." - Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)
Your knees only get so many bumps in life, don't waste them on moguls!
“No athlete is truly tested until they’ve stared an injury in the face and come out on the other side stronger than ever” -anonymous

http://otinasadventures.com @otina
Chicago Transplant
14ers: 58  12  24 
13ers: 697 39 34
Trip Reports (66)

Post by Chicago Transplant »

bergsteigen wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:23 pm
Hasty? Sure. But I’m not the only one thinking this. Up until this year, the largest fire in Colorado history was arson.

I agree, violating a fire ban should be an arson charge. At least in some past cases people who violated fire bans and caused wildfires have been charged with arson, so seems to be some legal precedent? I know the suspects in the Lake Christine Fire 2 years ago were charged with arson, but it was pled down at trial.
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

The fire restrictions for the area say that fires are allowed in campgrounds. Obviously someone somewhere was careless though.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Ptglhs
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 86 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Ptglhs »

We're in a drought.
It's beem very windy.
San Juans have an insane amount of beetle kill.
Global warming increases evaporation, things have beem drier and we haven't gotten much moisture.

We shouldn't be surprised by all these fires. Regrettably we'll probably have to have several years of record breaking fires to burn most of the state's forest of downed and dead trees. When the plants regrow the character of the forest will be different to adapt to drier and warmer climate.
cottonmountaineering
14ers: 58  7  18 
13ers: 180 39 31
Trip Reports (1)

Post by cottonmountaineering »

Ptglhs wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:21 pm We're in a drought.
It's beem very windy.
San Juans have an insane amount of beetle kill.
Global warming increases evaporation, things have beem drier and we haven't gotten much moisture.

We shouldn't be surprised by all these fires. Regrettably we'll probably have to have several years of record breaking fires to burn most of the state's forest of downed and dead trees. When the plants regrow the character of the forest will be different to adapt to drier and warmer climate.
indeed, this will be one of the coldest summers for the rest of our lives
justiner
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

cottonmountaineering wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:25 pm indeed, this will be one of the coldest summers for the rest of our lives
Or put it another way, this has been the hottest year, until the next year.
DArcyS
14ers: 58 
13ers: 544
Trip Reports (3)

Post by DArcyS »

bergsteigen wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:23 pm

My bet is with Otina. There are some bad, bad people out there -- some who like to kill, some who like to abuse animals, spouses, and children, and some who like to set fires for the thrill and the opportunity to destroy property.

I once saw a stat that 10% of fires set by arsonists belonged to a volunteer fire department. They liked the thrill of putting out fires, and they just couldn't wait for the next opportunity.
justiner
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

I don't know how this fire started, nor the like *checks news* three fires near me, but arson really isn't out the question. One remembers the Hayman Fire, started by a NFS employee, and was technically arson.

Large forest fires have started via more benign, but still human-created reasons. Anyone remember this?

https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/15/us/carr- ... index.html
The Carr Fire ignited on July 23 near Redding after a trailer got a flat tire and its rim scraped the asphalt. The sparks that shot out from that minor incident started what is now the eighth-largest wildfire in state history.
Bombay2Boulder
14ers: 56  3 
13ers: 269 1
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Bombay2Boulder »

Seems it's already at 320 acres as of tonight. Hoping this is contained soon. Moisture is predicted for this weekend.
https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/7251/
XterraRob
14ers: 42  7 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (4)

Post by XterraRob »

Outlaw marijuana, forest fires aren't worth it.
RIP - M56
Re-introduce Grizzly Bears into the Colorado Wilderness™