"Winter Access" When does it begin?

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Re: "Winter Access" When does it begin?

Post by Scott P »

CaptCO wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:45 am I'm curious as to when the trailheads fully close.
When either there is too much snow to drive on them or when the gates are locked.

That's an impossible question to answer since you didn't say what trailheads. They are all different.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
CaptainSuburbia
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 125 9
Trip Reports (44)

Post by CaptainSuburbia »

They close when there is too much snow for your vehicle :-D
Some day our kids will study Clash lyrics in school.
Nothing drives people crazy like people drive people crazy.
Save Challenger Point
dwoodward13
14ers: 58  12 
13ers: 157 6
Trip Reports (1)

Post by dwoodward13 »

CaptCO wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:21 pm
CaptainSuburbia wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:19 pm They close when there is too much snow for your vehicle :-D
I guess I need to make more money so I can buy a lifted Jeep Wrangler or Ford Bronco..

I guess I had false hope some roads nearby would be plowed vs others not
The USFS generally doesn't plow anything. If its a county road, the counties may or may not plow depending on if there are people living down a road or some other infrastructure. I would think Mill Creek (water treatment plant at the end), Gladstone East Face (off a paved state highway), Cataract Gulch (houses somewhat close by, maybe a bit of walking), Jagged (Vallecito Res has a paved road, Purgatory is always open!) would remain accessible for all of winter.

Nutras, Cebolla, Silver Creek/GG if they aren't already gated, are probably very close to being so.

Your best bet is to call the relevant USFS Ranger District or a local chamber of commerce/visitors centers to get info on gates.
Hiker Mike
14ers: 30 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Hiker Mike »

CaptCO wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:21 pm I guess I need to make more money so I can buy a lifted Jeep Wrangler or Ford Bronco..

A lifted Jeep or Bronco won't help much in deep snow. A snowmobile however, could be your ticket. Or my favorite; a Snow-Trac!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snow_Trac
"Just because you love the mountains doesn't mean the mountains love you."
-Lou Whittaker
globreal
14ers: 58  1  26 
13ers: 198 2 6
Trip Reports (61)

Post by globreal »

CaptainSuburbia wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:19 pm They close when there is too much snow for your vehicle :-D
I guess I need to make more money so I can buy a lifted Jeep Wrangler or Ford Bronco..

A lifted vehicle isn't often what is going to make the difference on how far you can drive in. Sometimes the slope angle of a slick road determines whether or not you can drive it. I've seen many vehicles just slide right off the road.

There are a few places where some roads are partially plowed and you can drive to that standard winter closure. Other places it's just a matter of how much snow has fallen and who as driven/packed the road. Sometimes having chains can get you further in and sometimes they won't.

Doing your research is helpful. You can find out on here as Bill has many of the TH/winter closure info listed. However, you really need to research current conditions. The trailhead condition status updates are often helpful.

However, my experience is that you are USUALLY better off not spending the extra time to stop and put on chains, or attempt to drive that extra distance to the summer TH. If you get stuck or slide off the road then you've most likely just trashed your whole day to get a summit. The time savings/effort savings usually isn't worth it. Just jump into your snowshoes or AT skis and go get it!
globreal
14ers: 58  1  26 
13ers: 198 2 6
Trip Reports (61)

Post by globreal »

globreal wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:46 pm

A lifted vehicle isn't often what is going to make the difference on how far you can drive in. Sometimes the slope angle of a slick road determines whether or not you can drive it. I've seen many vehicles just slide right off the road.

There are a few places where some roads are partially plowed and you can drive to that standard winter closure. Other places it's just a matter of how much snow has fallen and who as driven/packed the road. Sometimes having chains can get you further in and sometimes they won't.

Doing your research is helpful. You can find out on here as Bill has many of the TH/winter closure info listed. However, you really need to research current conditions. The trailhead condition status updates are often helpful.

However, my experience is that you are USUALLY better off not spending the extra time to stop and put on chains, or attempt to drive that extra distance to the summer TH. If you get stuck or slide off the road then you've most likely just trashed your whole day to get a summit. The time savings/effort savings usually isn't worth it. Just jump into your snowshoes or AT skis and the winter closure and go get it!
bmcqueen
14ers: 58  52 
13ers: 356 15
Trip Reports (24)

Post by bmcqueen »

I did the UNs a few years ago a couple days after Thanksgiving. Gate was open to Silver Creek when I went in that morning. Not so much when I went to leave that evening...

We got to Nutras Creek in Jan a few years ago too in the super dry winter. Most years that wouldn’t have gone.
"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment." --- Nasreddin

https://listsofjohn.com/PeakStats/Conte ... queen&t=14
Trotter
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 220 2 8
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Trotter »

dwoodward13 wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:37 pm

Your best bet is to call the relevant USFS Ranger District or a local chamber of commerce/visitors centers to get info on gates.
+1
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche
Eli Watson
14ers: 58  17 
13ers: 76
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Eli Watson »

In my experience when Bill lists the winter access to a TH as "closed, many miles below the TH", it's usually on the order of 4+ miles one-way. I was lucky enough to avoid an expensive tow miles from a paved road in winter exactly once before I learned to just accept the extra miles and start earlier.

On the subject of Silver Creek/Grizzy Gulch access, here are two of my favorite winter TRs, in very different snow years, written by Kevin Baker and Brad McQueen.
People who are hardcore don't think they're hardcore. Marshall Ulrich, Fastest Known Podcast #85
bmcqueen
14ers: 58  52 
13ers: 356 15
Trip Reports (24)

Post by bmcqueen »

CaptCO wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:24 pm Brad, let me know when you’re ready for that calendar Chi Basin trip!
Way too soon to bring that up! That re-ascent to Purgatory last Sat is still awfully fresh on my mind! :-D

You asked about the train - in a normal year, pretty sure the train goes to Cascade Y, but only through Dec. Not sure if they’ll even do that this year. I’ve just been warming myself up to the idea that I’ll go in from Purgatory and give myself a week. We’ll see if the low snow year in the southern mountains pans out this year...
"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment." --- Nasreddin

https://listsofjohn.com/PeakStats/Conte ... queen&t=14
Tornadoman
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 266 35
Trip Reports (12)

Post by Tornadoman »

I've been studying the possibility of doing the UNs in winter sometime. The below trip report shows a start from Bent Creek (before you get to Mill Creek) which should be open all winter. Also the Williams Creek route that is mentioned in the report would be open in winter/snow season. I would assume that either of those options would be far better than the Silver Creek/GG approach when the snow flies and the road is closed. https://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepo ... trip=17677
Climb the mountain so you can see the world, not so the world can see you.
ltlFish99
14ers: 49  3  2 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ltlFish99 »

CaptCO wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:57 am
Scott P wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:51 am
CaptCO wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:45 am I'm curious as to when the trailheads fully close.
When either there is too much snow to drive on them or when the gates are locked.

That's an impossible question to answer since you didn't say what trailheads. They are all different.
Sorry, I should've been more specific
Nutras Creek or Cebolla, Silver/Grizzly, Mill Creek for Dallas (open?) or is Blue Lakes gulley preferred, Rock of Ages or Gladstone alt., routes for Rio Grande Pyramid, Jagged, Phoenix, and Cataract Gulch. When the Durango train runs, does it drop at Cascade during Winter? What are the logistics for that if you know?

I found out what too much snow meant going to Lily Lake TH last December with blizzaks and a RWD truck. Dumb me, I know. Just an FYI I’ve only seen/lived/hiked in snow for one season. I take precautions and try to learn as much as possible, found out firsthand how deadly it can be
Blue lakes trailhead was just barely accessible the day after Thanksgiving in 2018.
Last year in 2019, I was stopped by snow at mile 4.5 of 9.2 on ouray county road 7 on December 2nd.