Kansas Backpacking

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
Please do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
User avatar
Barnold41
Posts: 213
Joined: 9/8/2016
14ers:summits12 
13ers:summits9 

Re: Kansas Backpacking

Post by Barnold41 » Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:05 pm

+1 for Clinton Lake area near Lawrence (also, Rock Chalk). It's fairly hilly around there, not to mention great food/beer in Lawrence (check out Free State Brewery for both).

The Flint Hills are gorgeous in the springtime and apparently there's a trail that runs from west of Council Grove all the way to Osawatomie, with plenty of THs in between to break it up however you want.
User avatar
amorgan
Posts: 23
Joined: 8/13/2014
14ers:summits11 
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Kansas Backpacking

Post by amorgan » Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:47 pm

Barnold41 wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:05 pm
+1 for Clinton Lake area near Lawrence (also, Rock Chalk). It's fairly hilly around there, not to mention great food/beer in Lawrence (check out Free State Brewery for both).

The Flint Hills are gorgeous in the springtime and apparently there's a trail that runs from west of Council Grove all the way to Osawatomie, with plenty of THs in between to break it up however you want.
As a Lawrence local, this ^^^
Clinton has a good bit of single track winding around the lake, and Free State is fantastic.
User avatar
Gene913
Posts: 353
Joined: 12/16/2006
14ers:summits58 
13ers:summits10 
Trip Reports (7)
Contact:

Re: Kansas Backpacking

Post by Gene913 » Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:47 am

Prairie Spirit Trail in eastern Kansas - the first rail trail system in the state. 51.3 miles long - runs from Ottawa to Iola with many trailheads in between.

https://ksoutdoors.com/State-Parks/Loca ... irit-Trail

Camping available at Garnett, which is the midway point.

https://ksoutdoors.com/content/download ... +Trail.pdf

https://bikeprairiespirit.com/files/Poster23x35.pdf
"If you have faith like a grain of mustard seed, and you say to this mountain, 'move from here to there,' it will move, and nothing will be impossible for you." Matthew 17:21
User avatar
Gene913
Posts: 353
Joined: 12/16/2006
14ers:summits58 
13ers:summits10 
Trip Reports (7)
Contact:

Re: Kansas Backpacking

Post by Gene913 » Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:53 am

Barnold41 wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:05 pm
The Flint Hills are gorgeous in the springtime and apparently there's a trail that runs from west of Council Grove all the way to Osawatomie, with plenty of THs in between to break it up however you want.
All true - a great trail. However, not an ideal backpacking route because no camping is allowed. https://www.travelks.com/things-to-do/p ... tate-park/
"If you have faith like a grain of mustard seed, and you say to this mountain, 'move from here to there,' it will move, and nothing will be impossible for you." Matthew 17:21
User avatar
Barnold41
Posts: 213
Joined: 9/8/2016
14ers:summits12 
13ers:summits9 

Re: Kansas Backpacking

Post by Barnold41 » Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:39 pm

amorgan wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:47 pm
As a Lawrence local, this ^^^
Clinton has a good bit of single track winding around the lake, and Free State is fantastic.
I miss Larry so bad, it will always hold a spot in my heart. The river trails on the north side of the Kaw were so much fun on a bike!

Is Pyramid still downtown?
Gene913 wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:53 am
All true - a great trail. However, not an ideal backpacking route because no camping is allowed. https://www.travelks.com/things-to-do/p ... tate-park/
Good to know, thanks for the heads up. Have you done the whole thing?
Last edited by Barnold41 on Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Gene913
Posts: 353
Joined: 12/16/2006
14ers:summits58 
13ers:summits10 
Trip Reports (7)
Contact:

Re: Kansas Backpacking

Post by Gene913 » Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:39 pm

Re: ^^^ - have not done the whole thing, only parts. Know several people who have done it, not as a backpacking trip but as a bike trip.

The map at the link below shows where camping is available at locations near the trail, which makes it more convenient as a bike trip versus a backpacking trip.

https://assets.simpleviewcms.com/simple ... 835309.pdf
"If you have faith like a grain of mustard seed, and you say to this mountain, 'move from here to there,' it will move, and nothing will be impossible for you." Matthew 17:21
User avatar
nmjameswilson
Posts: 166
Joined: 9/7/2018
14ers:summits37 
13ers:summits7 
Contact:

Re: Kansas Backpacking

Post by nmjameswilson » Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:34 am

If you live in Kansas City there is Wyandotte Lake. It is about a 10 mile loop so you can park and come back to the same spot. I use the up and down trail to "train" for longer hikes in Colorado while climbing.
Not a backpacking trip but a fun day trip.

Yellow dashed lines is the trail.
https://www.wycokck.org/WycoKCK/media/P ... rk-Map.pdf
User avatar
amorgan
Posts: 23
Joined: 8/13/2014
14ers:summits11 
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Kansas Backpacking

Post by amorgan » Sat Dec 05, 2020 1:26 pm

Barnold41 wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:39 pm
amorgan wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:47 pm
As a Lawrence local, this ^^^
Clinton has a good bit of single track winding around the lake, and Free State is fantastic.
I miss Larry so bad, it will always hold a spot in my heart. The river trails on the north side of the Kaw were so much fun on a bike!

Is Pyramid still downtown?
Unfortunately not! They closed a year or two ago I think.

River trails are a great place for some single track on a bike, and the levee trail is a great place for a long run. Larry is a gem.
User avatar
jrader
Posts: 10
Joined: 2/22/2005
14ers:summits23 
13ers:summits5 

Re: Kansas Backpacking

Post by jrader » Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:39 am

+1 Elk River Trail. It's been several years but I really enjoy that trail. There are some rock formations to climb over and through (I think on the East end).

There is a backpacking loop trail at Perry Lake near Lawrence/Topeka area. I did that trail a couple of springs ago, it's right under 30 miles. It has a lot of hill and views of the lake. It's a great trail to get out in Kansas and I'll probably use it as a warm up for longer backpacking/14ers trips in Colorado:
https://www.getoutdoorskansas.org/trail ... king-trail

+1 on the Wyandotte Lake equestrian loop trail. No camping on the trail, but it's great for training. There are a couple of great hills to get some training.
User avatar
Barnold41
Posts: 213
Joined: 9/8/2016
14ers:summits12 
13ers:summits9 

Re: Kansas Backpacking

Post by Barnold41 » Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:49 pm

amorgan wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 1:26 pm
Unfortunately not! They closed a year or two ago I think.
Noooooooo! Loved that place. We used to buy a few pizzas to bring home to Edwards anytime we were back.
DonaldQwedsak
Posts: 1
Joined: 12/9/2020
14ers: List not added

Re: Kansas Backpacking

Post by DonaldQwedsak » Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:32 am

Conor wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:45 am
following up on more resources for trails in Kansas...there is a lot more than I thought!

https://www.getoutdoorskansas.org/
Thank you very much, just looking for routes in Kansas!
User avatar
Cygnus X1
Posts: 199
Joined: 12/19/2016
14ers:summits25 
13ers:summits11 

Re: Kansas Backpacking

Post by Cygnus X1 » Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:51 am

Well crud. When I saw the title of this thread I was hoping to see Tallgrass was back. :-D
Post Reply