Trailhead Trouble

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
CORed
14ers: 10  1 
13ers: 10 2
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Trailhead Trouble

Post by CORed »

markf wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:04 am
JTOlson26 wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:28 am
nsaladin wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:18 pm Left a dome light on in the truck in Lead King Basin, away from the trailhead and across the river. No one was camping in the area when we drove in and setup camp. I quickly realized what I did and tried to start it... dead. We hiked around at like 8pm hoping to see someone near the trailhead, another party happened to arrive sometime after us just down the road and came and jumped us.
I love my 2014 4Runner, but I miss my 1999 4Runner with a 5spd for that reason. Not that I'm trying to drain my battery accidentally, but always felt good knowing in most situations I could at least bump start the old 4Runner.
I carry a booster pack for just that reason. It's a lot less work than bump starting, especially if you're traveling alone.
Bump starting isn't any work at all, if you're parked on a slope. When I drove manual shift cars, I would sometimes bump start on a hill when the battery was good and I didn't really have to. Now if you have to push it, doing that without help is difficult and pretty dangerous. I did manage to do it with a VW Beetle once or twice. Those were light enough that I might not have died if I had fallen while pusing it and run myself over.
Plugugly
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Plugugly »

12ersRule wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:47 am When I was finishing up a hike on Holy Cross, I felt a sharp pain on the back of my head. Next thing, I knew, I was laying in a bathtub of ice water and the back of my head and mid-section and back were absolutely throbbing. Right in front of me taped to the wall opposite me was a note "Call 911 if you want to live". I called 911 on my cell phone, which was left right next to me. The operator asked me to touch my back, I reached behind myself and felt a long scar down my lower back. After an hour of agony, an ambulance showed up and rushed me to a medical center in Vail. The doctor told me that one off my kidneys had been removed and I was extremely fortunate that more of my organs hadn't been harvested. Needless to say, I haven't been back to HC ever since.
Damn, I hate when that happens. That's, like, Type 3 fun or something.
Rudy can't fail.
rmattas
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rmattas »

12ersRule wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:47 am When I was finishing up a hike on Holy Cross, I felt a sharp pain on the back of my head. Next thing, I knew, I was laying in a bathtub of ice water and the back of my head and mid-section and back were absolutely throbbing. Right in front of me taped to the wall opposite me was a note "Call 911 if you want to live". I called 911 on my cell phone, which was left right next to me. The operator asked me to touch my back, I reached behind myself and felt a long scar down my lower back. After an hour of agony, an ambulance showed up and rushed me to a medical center in Vail. The doctor told me that one off my kidneys had been removed and I was extremely fortunate that more of my organs hadn't been harvested. Needless to say, I haven't been back to HC ever since.
for real?
"If I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." - Isaac Newton
Hiking_TheRockies
14ers: 22  1 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Hiking_TheRockies »

that sounds awful! so sorry!
Hiking when possible
Plugugly
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Plugugly »

rmattas wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:22 am
for real?
About as real as the election being stolen.
Rudy can't fail.
NM_Hiker
Trip Reports (0)

Post by NM_Hiker »

I'd like to see this Trip Report.
Bale
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Bale »

Holy shi... Cross! If this is true, you win the thread easily.
If it is not, you win anyway for epic trolling:)
The earth, like the sun, like the air, belongs to everyone - and to no one. - Edward Abbey
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

Good thing they didn't want your liver. Bad for both you and the receipt.
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
Paula
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 77
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Paula »

scr11_1776.jpg
scr11_1776.jpg (36.38 KiB) Viewed 3146 times
justiner wrote:^^^ This person foods.
Hiking_TheRockies
Trip Reports (4)

Paula wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:24 pm
scr11_1776.jpg
did you make that drawing yourself?
Hiking when possible
ker0uac
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ker0uac »

wow your kidney was removed through your lower back?! That's some ninja s**t... I heard of a guy who got one of his lungs removed through an incision on his left leg, but that happened at Massive TH.
Those who travel to mountain-tops are half in love with themselves and half in love with oblivion
Hiking_TheRockies
Trip Reports (4)

ker0uac wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:48 pm wow your kidney was removed through your lower back?! That's some ninja s**t... I heard of a guy who got one of his lungs removed through an incision on his left leg, but that happened at Massive TH.
is that even medically possible? lol
Hiking when possible