The ultimate for trailhead and other sleeping needs.

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
Please do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
supranihilest
14ers:summits58 winter28 
13ers:summits381 winter6 
Trip Reports (84)

Re: The ultimate for trailhead and other sleeping needs.

Post by supranihilest » Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:53 pm

Lioness wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:42 pm

A flat roof isn't good for solar, snow accumulation or for the potential of water leaking in.

https://www.facebook.com/ulmernest/phot ... 6288156822
Eh. I live in a van and have none of these problems plus the advantage of the extra space of a cuboid vs pentagonal prism, plus not having to deal with all the added complexity of a pentagon-shaped whatever that is. Flat solar is totally fine for 99% of mobile home/basecamp use (I literally never have issues and I cook with induction and work full time in the van, so multiple computers plus all other electrical use), snow accumulation is almost utterly irrelevant for such a small thing anyway, and there's vastly more to be said for quality construction of an object than the shape of it alone when it comes to sealing it from the elements.
So, you are saying a van that is has been designed to drive in the rain is equal to this shelter?! OK, you win.
Is this thing built to high enough quality standards to be weather proof or not? Shape is largely irrelevant.
Looks like it could be a fun movie based on the trailer, but with plenty of Hollywood Magic thrown in. Probably a mix of reality and feel-good made up stuff. Just like Instagram #vanlife is about 1% of the actual reality of living in a vehicle.
ker0uac wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:28 pm

Where do you file state taxes?
Colorado. I use a friend's address in Boulder (where I lived prior to the van) to receive mail and packages, file taxes, etc.
pvnisher
14ers: List not added
Trip Reports (8)

Re: The ultimate for trailhead and other sleeping needs.

Post by pvnisher » Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:06 am

supranihilest wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:53 pm
Just like Instagram #vanlife is about 1% of the actual reality of living in a vehicle.
Years back my roommate and I got a years worth of housing allowance as lump sums.
We considered getting an RV instead of some crappy apt, but ultimately decided against it.
I still wonder what that year would have been like, living in a walMart parking lot, showering at the gym, etc. Would have been a hell of a story.