Hiking Nellie Creek Rd - wet feet or dry feet?

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
DavidK
14ers: 32 
Trip Reports (2)

Hiking Nellie Creek Rd - wet feet or dry feet?

Post by DavidK »

So I'm finally making plans to tackle some more of the San Juans this summer. For various reasons (I don't have much experience driving 4WD roads, I'm usually driving rentals, etc.), I prefer to hike the extra miles rather than drive 4WD roads. For Uncompahgre, I am planning on parking at or near the Henson Creek Rd turnoff and hiking up Nellie Creek Road. I'm planning on doing this around the first week of July. I realize that it depends on snowfall/conditions/etc. in any given year, but generally speaking, around early July, if I were to hike the length of Nellie Creek Road, what are the creek crossings like? I've researched the road, here and elsewhere, but I haven't found anything concrete. How wide and deep are the creek crossings? Are there ways to cross the creeks (with care) to keep feet basically dry, or should I expect to have wet feet and take spare shoes and socks for that purpose? Any thoughts would be most appreciated. :-D
DaveLanders
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Hiking Nellie Creek Rd - wet feet or dry feet?

Post by DaveLanders »

I would plan on wet feet. I've driven the road several times but I haven't hiked it. The stream crossings tend to be wide and shallow because that's easier for vehicles than narrow and deep. You might luck out and have make shift foot bridges or rock stepping stones but I wouldn't count on that. I would take a pair of sandals if I was going to hike the road
Every village has at least one idiot. Successful villages choose someone else to be their leader.
Sbenfield
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 289 4 25
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Sbenfield »

I walked the road in early July 2019, a year of large snowfall especially in the later part of winter. I didn’t have a problem getting wet on any of the road hike. I seem to recall pretty simple workarounds for potentially wet areas (at least when I hiked it)
supranihilest
14ers: 58  42 
13ers: 709 1 8
Trip Reports (113)

Post by supranihilest »

A couple of options for this type of thing:
  • Carry extra footwear and socks like you suggested. A bit of an annoying solution, but it's safe.
  • Find ways across the creek crossings. The first crossing is harder than the second. I went up that road several times in November and for the first creek crossing had to rely on enough ice to walk (or crawl, once) over. You might be able to rock hop if there's exposed and DRY rock. Don't try to rock hop wet rocks of you'll probably end up in the creek. The second creek crossing had a couple of logs across it.
  • Sandals like Dave suggested. They're probably lighter than a second pair of shoes or boots.
  • Go barefoot, roll up your pants (or take them off depending on the creek depth, but it's unlikely Nellie will be deep enough to warrant going pantsless) and wade the crossings. Pretty miserable but saves you the trouble of carrying extra gear. I do this frequently. Just be careful not to fall down on slick rocks, since alpine creeks are usually ice cold and numb the feet, especially early season during the melt. Poles can help balance.
  • Drive up (I know you said you didn't want to, but still an option), arrange a ride up with a fellow hiker, or hitch if someone is driving up while you're hiking.
For Nellie specifically neither creek crossing is particularly wide and there should be ways to cross. The road itself can be pretty wet if things are still melting, so keep that in mind as well. Sometimes there's just nothing you can do to keep your feet dry.
Wentzl
14ers: 58  20 
13ers: 55
Trip Reports (49)

Post by Wentzl »

And you said,

Any thoughts appreciated.

Can I say, I dig your avitar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVyfj7-mHqs

But more to your point,

https://climate.colostate.edu/drought_info.html

Now my favorite line on this forum:

I have never hiked from the lower trailhead but I think. . .

By July, your feet will stay dry
Shorter of Breath and One Day Closer . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZXKgl8turY

"Social Justice" = Injustice
Progressives are Oxy-morons
DavidK
14ers: 32 
Trip Reports (2)

Post by DavidK »

Wentzl wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:59 pm

Can I say, I dig your avitar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVyfj7-mHqs

hahaha LOVE IT!! :-D
disentangled
Trip Reports (0)

Post by disentangled »

I hiked that road last July and had no difficulty navigating the creek crossings, even in the dark in the morning. All good.
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

Just looked at my notes for that hike, and also didn't encounter any issues with water along road that wasn't easily crossed, this was a July trip
nmjameswilson
14ers: 58 
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nmjameswilson »

I went down it early July last year and no issues with the shallow and wide creek crossing.
JQDivide
14ers: 58  33 
13ers: 115 1
Trip Reports (58)

Post by JQDivide »

Can always try to hitchhike, lots of friendly people on these trails.
Joel