Loved. To. Death.

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
astrobassman
14ers: 58 
13ers: 191 2
Trip Reports (7)

Re: Loved. To. Death.

Post by astrobassman »

My experience is similar to Jorts and Brandon, in my dozens of trips to the Gore I have only seen people on the peaks one time. Interestingly the peak was Mount Solitude in 2010, where we ran into a very nice couple called the Climbing Cooney’s on the summit ridge. Interestingly again, I ran into the same couple this past summer ten years later below Slate lake while I was running up to Peak S. They were packing out after climbing the 12ers in the area. The Gore range is a great place. And the fact the trailheads are an hour from home makes it even better. The first time I went to Slate lake in 2009 it felt more remote than it does now, but its still a magical place that I don’t get tired of.
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

Jorts wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:59 pm Another trailhead bites the dust. The hordes are slowly suffocating Colorado like a plague of locusts.

A comprehensive list of issues that can be fixed by being whined about on the internet:
1. None
Make wilderness less accessible.
Jorts
14ers: 58  4  2 
13ers: 102 11 5
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Jorts »

Dave B wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:48 am
Jorts wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:59 pm Another trailhead bites the dust. The hordes are slowly suffocating Colorado like a plague of locusts.

A comprehensive list of issues that can be fixed by being whined about on the internet:
1. None
:lol: Don't completely agree. BLM and Metoo had a lot of attention brought to them by justified whining on the internet.
Traveling light is the only way to fly.
IG: @colorado_invasive
Strava: Brent Herring
719BR
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by 719BR »

Scott P wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:37 pm When I want solitude, I'll visit somewhere little known and remote. I'll try and find a route up a peak such as this:

https://listsofjohn.com/peak/24021

Of course that peak really is on my list. If anyone wants to come with me and help find a route up it, you are of course invited.
but wouldn't that affect your, i dunno.....solitude?
Gene913
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (7)

Post by Gene913 »

Scott P wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:37 pmCome try a peak with me such as the one in the link, if you (I'm speaking to everyone here) don't mind going with a slow aging middle age guy and see if you agree.
Invitation accepted. When do we depart? Says the slow aging old guy to the slow aging middle age guy.
"If you have faith like a grain of mustard seed, and you say to this mountain, 'move from here to there,' it will move, and nothing will be impossible for you." Matthew 17:21
sanjuanmtneer
13ers: 664
Trip Reports (2)

Post by sanjuanmtneer »

Wow! I don't know if any of you looked at the highpoint Scott mentioned but it is in a quadrangle (Rainbow Bridge) that has NO reported ascents (on LoJ)!
31 ranked summits, all probably unclimbed (except perhaps by Navajos?)!
And a corner of it contains a section of Lake Powell. Oh to be young again and to have the skills to attempt them!
Just getting a photograph of each one would be a challenge.
And my mind was made up,
To climb all the mountains,
Now my body's laid up,
And the night advances.
And time is dear.
(With deference to John Dillon)
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

brichardsson wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:42 pm
Scott P wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:37 pm When I want solitude, I'll visit somewhere little known and remote. I'll try and find a route up a peak such as this:

Of course that peak really is on my list. If anyone wants to come with me and help find a route up it, you are of course invited.
Sure, but I didn't say I wanted to be completely alone. If I always wanted to be alone I wouldn't be a member. So you in?
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Scott P
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

sanjuanmtneer wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 3:36 pm Wow! I don't know if any of you looked at the highpoint Scott mentioned but it is in a quadrangle (Rainbow Bridge) that has NO reported ascents (on LoJ)!
31 ranked summits, all probably unclimbed (except perhaps by Navajos?)!
And a corner of it contains a section of Lake Powell.
There's an excellent chance that most (up to 30/31) of the 31 on the quad are unclimbed. Rainbow BM has was climbed a few years ago though. The Navajos don't seem to do much with this corner of the res (too rugged for pack animals), but they do have an old camp maybe two or three days on foot (each way) from here. That's the closest that I have seen any signs of Navajos having been there, but they might have done some exploring around of course. The ancentral pueblos may have climbed several of these peaks though. They seemed to really get around and were good climbers.
Oh to be young again and to have the skills to attempt them!
I'm pretty sure you have the skills to attempt anything I'd be comfortable with. I'm not the same person you knew a few decades ago. I'm much heavier, slower, and older. I'm hoping that at least some of these peaks offer some routes up that aren't too technical. The hard ones will be saved for climbers better than I. It would be great to have some adventures with you again. I miss those old adventures we used to have.
Just getting a photograph of each one would be a challenge.
Indeed it would. For some of those peaks, I only know of one practical route to even get in the vicinity of some of the peaks. I won't give too much away, but it's a really round about way that involves climbing, rappelling, and swimming (ice cold water!) through a slot canyon before looking for an old set of moki steps that goes up the cliff. Just getting to the area of most of these peaks would be a grand adventure.
Last edited by Scott P on Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Scott P
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Gene913 wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:23 pm
Scott P wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:37 pmCome try a peak with me such as the one in the link, if you (I'm speaking to everyone here) don't mind going with a slow aging middle age guy and see if you agree.
Invitation accepted. When do we depart? Says the slow aging old guy to the slow aging middle age guy.
Res is currently closed because of COVID (plus it is still pretty chilly for swimming through the slot canyon which is part of the route to get to these peaks), but I have several other remote peaks which we could do right now. I'll find out my work schedule Monday and it is likely that I'll be off Wednesday through Sunday. Short notice, but could you go then? If not, let's plan. It takes at least five days (round trip) to get into the area I am thinking, but if you only have 3-4 days I have an alternate for that too. Let's do it! PM sent. I'm going to bump up an old thread too.

Let's move the conversation to this thread:

https://www.14ers.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... 64#p738164

I don't want to keep mucking up this thread.
719BR
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by 719BR »

Scott P wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:54 pm
brichardsson wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:42 pm

Sure, but I didn't say I wanted to be completely alone. If I always wanted to be alone I wouldn't be a member. So you in?
depends on when. quite possibly maybe so, depending.
ker0uac
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ker0uac »

Jorts wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:54 pm
Dave B wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:48 am

1. None
:lol: Don't completely agree. BLM and Metoo had a lot of attention brought to them by justified whining on the internet.
haha so true, I'd replace "issues" with "grievances" and "None" with "Everything"
Those who travel to mountain-tops are half in love with themselves and half in love with oblivion
supranihilest
14ers: 58  42 
13ers: 709 1 8
Trip Reports (112)

Post by supranihilest »

OP: hordes of people are killing the Gore Range!
Also OP: I never see anyone in the Gore Range!

But seriously, aside from Justin's suggestion to ride a bike, which is a good one, this thread is like 90% rabble rabble teeth gnashing and 0% solution proposing. If you want solitude Colorado high peaks are generally not the place to be. Source: climbed a Colorado high peak or 400. I put this particular trailhead closure more to the elitist NIMBYism of Vail than actual overcrowding.