PSA Highway 50 Gunnison to Montrose roadwork closures

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Re: PSA Highway 50 Gunnison to Montrose roadwork closures

Post by greenonion »

Thanks especially gb, Scott, and Ben. Very helpful
johnt
14ers: 33 
13ers: 91
Trip Reports (2)

Post by johnt »

Official website with more info and better maps:

https://www.us50info.com/
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

Since construction has begun, has anyone traveled this portion of 50 on the weekends after they stop work for the week and open it?
Any slowdowns? Specifically at the time of re-opening?

Just curious as to what I might expect because I plan to travel through that area next weekend, on a holiday weekend at that!

Below is from the website linked above by JohnT
"UPDATE: NO NIGHT CLOSURES THIS WEEK OR NEXT WEEK 5/17-20 & 5/24-27, Open to two-way traffic at 7:30 PM. Daytime road closures are in effect with one-way alternating openings from 6:30-8:30 AM, 12:30-1:30 PM and 5:30-7:30 PM. Click here to see the full closure schedule for detailed information. The road is open to two-way traffic from Friday at 5:30 PM until Monday at 8:30 AM. Motorists should prepare for detours and traffic delays.

​OBSERVED HOLIDAY: THERE WILL BE NO CLOSURES OR WORK BEING DONE ON MONDAY 5/31 - MEMORIAL DAY
"

gb
14ers: 56  54  6 
13ers: 67 54
Trip Reports (26)

Post by gb »

d_baker wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 8:32 am Since construction has begun, has anyone traveled this portion of 50 on the weekends after they stop work for the week and open it?

Smooth sailing from what people are saying on Facebook. But I haven't done it myself.
Will_E
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 210 37
Trip Reports (21)

Post by Will_E »

d_baker wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 8:32 am Since construction has begun, has anyone traveled this portion of 50 on the weekends after they stop work for the week and open it?

Just curious as to what I might expect because I plan to travel through that area next weekend, on a holiday weekend at that!

Below is from the website linked above by JohnT
"UPDATE: NO NIGHT CLOSURES THIS WEEK OR NEXT WEEK 5/17-20 & 5/24-27, Open to two-way traffic at 7:30 PM. Daytime road closures are in effect with one-way alternating openings from 6:30-8:30 AM, 12:30-1:30 PM and 5:30-7:30 PM. Click here to see the full closure schedule for detailed information. The road is open to two-way traffic from Friday at 5:30 PM until Monday at 8:30 AM. Motorists should prepare for detours and traffic delays.

​OBSERVED HOLIDAY: THERE WILL BE NO CLOSURES OR WORK BEING DONE ON MONDAY 5/31 - MEMORIAL DAY
"

I’ve driven it on a few Saturday afternoons the past month and it was completely open. On Friday I hit it just before they shut down for the weekend around 4:30-5pm, so had a short wait.
Tony1
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 261 11 5
Trip Reports (31)

Post by Tony1 »

I've also gone through a couple times already and it's been completely smooth sailing for both (most recently on a Thursday night where there was no closure, as well as a Sunday afternoon).

It seems the road is being kept open overnight during the week a lot. I wonder if they're having trouble getting overnight workers.
greenonion
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

Can anyone let me know if the Highway 50 closure is still only on weekdays, and open on weekends (Sat/Sun)??
jrs1965
14ers: 58  1  3 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jrs1965 »

I wonder if taking 12 out of Crested Butte to get to Montrose is a good option?
blazintoes
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 327 3 73
Trip Reports (16)

Post by blazintoes »

Kebler Pass is cool to see one time but it's slow going. From Gunnison-CB-Kebler-Montrose is 123 miles and will take ~3 hours 40 minutes so an hour longer drive vs. 92
greenonion
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

Thanks!
gb
14ers: 56  54  6 
13ers: 67 54
Trip Reports (26)

Post by gb »

Update, 8/16/21 for anyone interested:

US 50 Little Blue Creek Canyon OPEN to two-way traffic through August 31. Regularly scheduled road closures will begin on September 1.
Road closures associated with construction on the US 50 Little Blue Creek Canyon 4-mile critical safety improvement project located between Montrose and Gunnison (Mile Points 123 -127) will remain OPEN to two-way traffic through Tuesday, August 31. Regularly scheduled road closures will begin on September 1.
"This decision was made due to the ongoing coordination with the Colorado Department of Transportation and the most recent closures in the Glenwood Canyon," said Kathleen Wanatowicz, Public Information Manager for the Little Blue Creek Canyon project. "At this time, the project team is working with the Department of Transportation and CDOT to determine how the delay in the closures will affect the construction schedule in the future."
Labor Day Weekend
US 50 will be OPEN to two-way traffic beginning Friday, September 3 at NOON through the Labor Day weekend. Regularly scheduled roadway impacts begin Tuesday at 8:30 AM on September 7.
TRAFFIC & RECREATION IMPACTS [ Beginning after Labor Day Weekend]
Motorists should prepare for long delays during the opening roadway windows and plan to take detour routes. Estimated delay times during roadway opening windows are between 30 minutes to one hour.
Travel impacts for motorists illustrated in the table below will be consistent throughout the project's first year. Motorists should plan for single lane closures, full roadway closures, reduced speed limits, and narrow roads. Significant delays are anticipated. If there is an emergency closure of Interstate 70, full closures on this project will be reduced.
US 50 will be open to two-way traffic with no delays from Friday at 5:30 PM – Monday at 8:30 AM.
Full roadway closures will be Monday – Friday 8:30 AM – 12:30 PM and 1:30 PM – 5:30 PM. Full roadway closures will occur through the night Monday – Thursday 7:30 PM – 6:30 AM. Plan your travel around the opening windows and be prepared to queue at designated areas.