TH Snow Melt

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
bergsteigen
14ers: 58  52  18 
13ers: 538 100 12
Trip Reports (237)

Re: TH Snow Melt

Post by bergsteigen »

Check out Satellite data. Caltopo Pro has the Sentinel Weekly layer where you can get an idea of where the snow level is. Not perfect, but as long as there aren’t clouds, you have a much better idea than “being the beta” and driving up yourself.
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games." - Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)
Your knees only get so many bumps in life, don't waste them on moguls!
“No athlete is truly tested until they’ve stared an injury in the face and come out on the other side stronger than ever” -anonymous

http://otinasadventures.com @otina
CaptainSuburbia
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 125 9
Trip Reports (44)

Post by CaptainSuburbia »

I think you could get a pretty good idea looking at TH reports from the last few years excluding 2019.
Last edited by CaptainSuburbia on Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Some day our kids will study Clash lyrics in school.
Nothing drives people crazy like people drive people crazy.
Save Challenger Point
HikerGuy
14ers: 58 
13ers: 426 8
Trip Reports (9)

Post by HikerGuy »

bergsteigen wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:03 am Check out Satellite data. Caltopo Pro has the Sentinel Weekly layer where you can get an idea of where the snow level is. Not perfect, but as long as there aren’t clouds, you have a much better idea than “being the beta” and driving up yourself.
This is what I use as well. It's a great resource in the spring/early summer and well worth the subscription.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

It's snowing right now in parts of Colorado.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
ekalina
14ers: 20  1 
13ers: 44 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ekalina »

You can try this snow depth analysis from NOAA. The controls are a little clunky, but you can zoom out and then use the mouse to draw a box around the area of interest, and then zoom in further.
dwoodward13
14ers: 58  12 
13ers: 157 6
Trip Reports (1)

Post by dwoodward13 »

HikerGuy wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:21 am
bergsteigen wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:03 am Check out Satellite data. Caltopo Pro has the Sentinel Weekly layer where you can get an idea of where the snow level is. Not perfect, but as long as there aren’t clouds, you have a much better idea than “being the beta” and driving up yourself.
This is what I use as well. It's a great resource in the spring/early summer and well worth the subscription.
Sentinel also publishes their imagery on their website for free
HikerGuy
13ers: 426 8
Trip Reports (9)

Post by HikerGuy »

dwoodward13 wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:16 pm
That is true! I believe this is the link: http://apps.sentinel-hub.com/sentinel-playground/. This is good to know for folks who do not use CalTopo. CalTopo subscription is still worth it if you have not already invested in another GPS app/tool. Nice to have everything in one place.
bergsteigen
14ers: 58  52  18 
13ers: 538 100 12
Trip Reports (237)

Post by bergsteigen »

HikerGuy wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:31 pm
dwoodward13 wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:16 pm

That is true! I believe this is the link: http://apps.sentinel-hub.com/sentinel-playground/. This is good to know for folks who do not use CalTopo. CalTopo subscription is still worth it if you have not already invested in another GPS app/tool. Nice to have everything in one place.
I also have the RealEarth app that has a bunch of satellite data, but haven’t been able to sort through the plethora of options to find something useful yet.
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games." - Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)
Your knees only get so many bumps in life, don't waste them on moguls!
“No athlete is truly tested until they’ve stared an injury in the face and come out on the other side stronger than ever” -anonymous

http://otinasadventures.com @otina
nyker
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

Snow can melt surprisingly quick. I had three feet melt around here in two days of 45-55*F weather and with a day of hard rain, snow 95% gone lower down now.
Amazing how a little warmth transforms a landscape so quickly.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Snowpack is taking a nosedive:
snowpack.JPG
snowpack.JPG (84.48 KiB) Viewed 1236 times
The snowpack now is what would be average for May 9.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Salient
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Salient »

nyker wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:16 pm Snow can melt surprisingly quick. I had three feet melt around here in two days of 45-55*F weather and with a day of hard rain, snow 95% gone lower down now.
Amazing how a little warmth transforms a landscape so quickly.
I had like 6” of snow take over a week of 70+ degrees to melt back in February. So I guess it can vary
Be the best you that you can be.