Need help selecting backcountry camp site for Longs Attempt!

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
ltlFish99
14ers: 49  3  2 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Need help selecting backcountry camp site for Longs Attempt!

Post by ltlFish99 »

I have slept under a rock by chasm lake. It was a little small for me and a friend.

It was also very beautiful. The camel gully provides access to the boulder field from chasm lake.
I spent 2 nights in goblin forest with 3 brothers from new Jersey. They loved it. Much better than sleeping in the Car at the trailhead. The lower campgrounds were full, so we we to goblin.

I spent the night in the boulder field in March, we had at least a foot of snow that night, woke up to 70 mph winds with snow which put an end to our planned cables route adventure. In summer this is a crowded place.
My favorite place to camp before a longs hike was black lake. It was in February and was wonderful.
You cannot camp there in the summer as far as I know.
The only time I have spent the night in glacier gorge in the summer we bivied on a large rock below spearhead.
On the winter trip from black lake, we took the trough route on great snow and had a good time. Nobody at all other than us on the summit.
As previously stated, the nice things about goblin are privacy as it is off the trail, and a water source.
Enjoy your adventure on my favorite 14er.