Yet another Como Lake Road Thread

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
nunns
14ers: 43 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Yet another Como Lake Road Thread

Post by nunns »

Maximillion wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:35 pm Whether you can is better answered by others. Whether you want to is another thing. You'll be bone jarring it all the way up (if you make it). If you get off on a very rough 4WD adventure than maybe it's for you. I'd be rattled to death though. If you're just trying to save a few miles of walking, well, you should probably walk.
+1. Above 10,200 feet that road is so rough, I can't imagine it would be very fun to drive it all, unless you are really into that.
That being said, you do want to pretty much consider going up the road on foot to be hiking on a wide class 1 (in some cases 1+) trail, not just walking up what you would call a road. It isn't a dirt road with rocks in it; it's all rocks. Not trying to be whiny, but if you think it's just a steep dirt road, you're going to end up spending more energy than you bargained for. Not difficult compared to an actual mountain climb, but it was certainly more difficult than I was hoping for the day before Blanca and Ellingwood. I certainly don't recommend that you get to the start of the road at 4am and think you are going to drive nearly to the lake in 30 minutes, hop out, and proceed to attack Little Bear.

Sean Nunn
"Thy righteousness is like the great mountains." --Psalms 36:6
nunns
14ers: 43 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nunns »

highpilgrim wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:47 pm There’s a decent parking area at a switchback at about 10k.

As others have said, you can go higher. But peeps have died on that road, and many vehicles have left parts and fluid behind as a testament to the endeavor.

Park at a reasonable place and walk some. Climbing is about walking uphill isn’t it?

I like that basin and can’t understand all the badmouthing it gets.
The basin is great. The "road" sucks to drive up, and it also sucks to hike up, unless you are ready for it mentally. I wasn't, so I guess that's my fault (after all, there is no shortage of warnings on here about how bad it is). Once we got to the lake, it was awesome.

Sean Nunn
"Thy righteousness is like the great mountains." --Psalms 36:6
mikeyb
14ers: 58 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mikeyb »

I can get my 4 door 2007 wrangler with a 2’ lift and 33’s up to 10,600, just below Jaws 1, you should be able to get there, it’s such a fun road!
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

mikeyb wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:35 am I can get my 4 door 2007 wrangler with a 2’ lift and 33’s up to 10,600, just below Jaws 1, you should be able to get there, it’s such a fun road!
A two foot lift is *impressive*!

Doesn't it look kinda funny, though, with the 33's?

Mtnman200
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 440
Trip Reports (85)

Post by Mtnman200 »

SkaredShtles wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:09 pm
mikeyb wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:35 am I can get my 4 door 2007 wrangler with a 2’ lift and 33’s up to 10,600, just below Jaws 1, you should be able to get there, it’s such a fun road!

It’s not going very far without the driveshafts.
"Adventure without risk is not possible." - Reinhold Messner
Dan_Suitor
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 90
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Dan_Suitor »

Mtnman200 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:24 pm
SkaredShtles wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:09 pm

It’s not going very far without the driveshafts.
Nor steering linkage for that matter. :lol:
Century Bound, eventually.