Yet another Como Lake Road Thread

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
CaptainSuburbia
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 125 9
Trip Reports (44)

Re: Yet another Como Lake Road Thread

Post by CaptainSuburbia »

JChitwood wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:10 pm Last time I was at Lake Como there were two stock Rubicons. I would guess they were good drivers. There are some memorials along the road to others who were also good until they weren’t.
I've seen at least 3 or 4 vehicles in the ravines.
Some day our kids will study Clash lyrics in school.
Nothing drives people crazy like people drive people crazy.
Save Challenger Point
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

..and quite a few body parts, broken lights and shards of fiberglass along the way.
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

This was on one of those trips and memorable to watch as this guy, with the help of two full time spotters managed to navigate over the rough spots but not before both guys helped push the grabber blue FJ back on its wheels after tipping more than 45 degrees a couple times. Without them there it would have rolled. Note the one boulder was about 1/2 inch from putting a nice dent/hole in his passenger door.
The other guy in the second pic seemed to making a movie for some blog he was talking about. Interesting that all three vehicles were Toyotas.
Attachments
xs_DSC_0455-16x-bla.jpg
xs_DSC_0455-16x-bla.jpg (232.13 KiB) Viewed 2875 times
xs_DSC_0434-16x-bla.jpg
xs_DSC_0434-16x-bla.jpg (232.3 KiB) Viewed 2875 times
daway8
14ers: 58  24 
13ers: 155 29
Trip Reports (70)

Post by daway8 »

Got my stock Jeep Renegade Trailhawk to around 10,200ft with a spotter and some white knuckles over the last 100ft or so.

I'll echo earlier comments - if it's about the challenge of taking on a difficult 4WD road and the thrill of seeing what your rig can do then maybe try for the lake if you have a good spotter or two and are ok with your rig getting some battle scars. Otherwise just plan to park no higher than 8 to 10k and hike it.

It's possibly worth it for the challenge, not at all worth it for the mileage vs time/effort/risk.
Cruiser
14ers: 50 
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Cruiser »

Last time I was up there a guy has driven his stock 4d rubicon to the lake. I talked to him briefly as I was in disbelief and he said it wasn't too bad. In my experience, at least 1 locker is key as they're are a few spots where you simply won't make it up (without pulling cable) with open difs no matter the size of your lift/tires.
Where ever you are... There you are.
climbingcue
14ers: 58  8  27 
13ers: 317 21 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbingcue »

I have had my Polairs RZR up that road two times, not bad at all doing it with the SXS. On that note that is the only way I will go up that road. I am planning to do it again in late May. See how far I can get.
Consecutive months with at least one 13er or 14er, 72 months
9patrickmurphy
14ers: 50  1  2 
13ers: 318 23 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by 9patrickmurphy »

I'm not necessarily thinking of doing this (because loud motorists are one of the things I detest the most about getting into the mountains), but a buddy and I were talking about how much effort and money it might be to rent a side-by-side nearby specifically to get up to Lake Como. If one was on a time crunch, it might not be a terrible way to do it. Has anyone done this?
Cruiser
14ers: 50 
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Cruiser »

I bet you could rally up that road with a fat tire ebike and make it look easy.
Where ever you are... There you are.
Ptglhs
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 86 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Ptglhs »

Have you thought about the Zapata Lake route? It's much more enjoyable than the como "road." I hiked to the lake twice, once I got turned around by health issues in the c2 colour, next time I camped at the lake and did Ellingwood/Blanca the next day. It would be arduous, but you could backpack to the lake, climb over B/EW with a full pack, camp at the lake, do LB, and then either hike out the Como road or camp out again and hump it back over to Zapata. A prius or a Focus can make zapata falls TH.
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtree »

I saw someone zip up there in a dirt bike like it was nothing. Other than that, beyond 10,000ish, its quite a 4x4 adventure. Not for me.
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

I know wood prices are kinda high right now but hear me out I need a few people and a bunch of wood and what we'll do is built a giant trebuchet at the beginning of the road with a bucket big enough for a person and a pack.
9patrickmurphy
14ers: 50  1  2 
13ers: 318 23 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by 9patrickmurphy »

Ptglhs wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:26 am Have you thought about the Zapata Lake route? It's much more enjoyable than the como "road." I hiked to the lake twice, once I got turned around by health issues in the c2 colour, next time I camped at the lake and did Ellingwood/Blanca the next day. It would be arduous, but you could backpack to the lake, climb over B/EW with a full pack, camp at the lake, do LB, and then either hike out the Como road or camp out again and hump it back over to Zapata. A prius or a Focus can make zapata falls TH.
Right, I'm looking at doing C2 this May to hopefully pick up Ellingwood and Blanca (and TwinPeaks of course). Knowing how light of a sleeper I am and how annoyed I get at noise in general, I'd like to avoid Lake Como as much as possible. Really just curious about options. There's no great way to do LB, but the SW ridge almost looks enticing just for avoiding the road. I hear it's pretty though.