Yet another Como Lake Road Thread

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Aphelion
14ers: 58  17 
13ers: 48
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Yet another Como Lake Road Thread

Post by Aphelion »

9patrickmurphy wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:13 am I'm not necessarily thinking of doing this (because loud motorists are one of the things I detest the most about getting into the mountains), but a buddy and I were talking about how much effort and money it might be to rent a side-by-side nearby specifically to get up to Lake Como. If one was on a time crunch, it might not be a terrible way to do it. Has anyone done this?
I doubt it would save much time if you already have the ability to drive up to 10.2k (which pretty much any stock 4WD can do with a bit of care). From there, you're only a couple miles from the lake. A side-by-side would be a bit faster than walking for those ~2 miles, but could also be much slower if you get stuck behind a jeep convoy.
justiner wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:54 am I know wood prices are kinda high right now but hear me out I need a few people and a bunch of wood and what we'll do is built a giant trebuchet at the beginning of the road with a bucket big enough for a person and a pack.
The largest trebuchet currently operational has a range of ~300m, and that's with a 55kg projectile. It's more like 200m at best with a modern american hiker-sized 100kg payload. Plus, some horizontal distance will be lost from firing uphill. So you'll need a series of trebuchets.
cedica
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cedica »

justiner wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:54 am I know wood prices are kinda high right now but hear me out I need a few people and a bunch of wood and what we'll do is built a giant trebuchet at the beginning of the road with a bucket big enough for a person and a pack.
You are onto something, I'm almost itching to say "The Next Big Thing". This could even be better than "Crestone, CO - the only outdoor human cremation facility in the US". I propose advertising campaign based around the motto "Burial By Trebuchet - The Only Way To Go":
https://www.reddit.com/r/trebuchetmemes ... way_to_go/
disentangled
Trip Reports (0)

Post by disentangled »

mtree wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:41 am I saw someone zip up there in a dirt bike like it was nothing. Other than that, beyond 10,000ish, its quite a 4x4 adventure. Not for me.
i was wondering this! has anyone taken a motorcycle up that road? that would be a special sort.... like 'cause why the eff not?!
turbocat
14ers: 56 
13ers: 39
Trip Reports (2)

Post by turbocat »

Yes. You need to be a good & confident rider on a dual sport or dirt bike. It is all about your experience level.The babyheads are a bitch on a 500# motorcycle, like riding a stream bed, constantly shifting under the tire. I rode a KLR650 and my partner had a Triumph Tiger800. Took it real slow and spent most the time in 1st gear with my feet down. Dirt bike may be easier. I have seen a few of those all the way up at the lake...most 250cc. We stopped in one the higher pull outs before Jaws
Less cowbell...more CAIRN!
cottonmountaineering
14ers: 58  7  18 
13ers: 178 38 31
Trip Reports (1)

Post by cottonmountaineering »

its faster to walk that road than try to get a 4wd up it
Dan_Suitor
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 90
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Dan_Suitor »

After climbing to the lake twice, I decided to take my ATV up and got to Jaws 4 before chickening out. It was a bit steep, and I feared flipping over. I was not too far from the lake so I set up camp near there. Bill said he has been to the lake a couple times on his ATV.
20160626_150531.jpg
20160626_150531.jpg (220.34 KiB) Viewed 2664 times
Century Bound, eventually.
PikaSteve
14ers: 58 
13ers: 45
Trip Reports (5)

Post by PikaSteve »

As I was descending from Lake Como last July, at around 11,000', I came across this ATV carrying a kayak.
Driver said they had been on the road for over six hours.
I'm sure the kayak rack added to instability, but it also prevented the ATV from rolling onto its driver.
This occurred right next to a memorial plaque on the side of the "road".
LakeComoRoad ATV with Kayak square.jpg
LakeComoRoad ATV with Kayak square.jpg (319.63 KiB) Viewed 2472 times
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

^^Ok, that's funny.
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

I've gone up to the lake with an ATV about a dozen times and never had problems. Sure, there are some awkward spots but an experienced rider shouldn't have too much problem.

But I've never tried to haul a kayak on my ATV. Lol
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
Rollie Free
14ers: 45 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Rollie Free »

The best trip report of all time. 14ers isnt real clear about Como not being paved.
He may have mentioned his girlfriend status a time or two.

https://14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=20439

Honestly, this guy should be paid to write trip reports.
"Quicker than I can tell it, my hands failed to hold, my feet slipped, and down I went with almost an arrow’s rapidity. An eternity of thought, of life, of death, wife, and home concentrated on my mind in those two seconds. Fortunately for me, I threw my right arm around a projecting boulder which stood above the icy plain some two or three feet." Rev. Elijah Lamb
Wildernessjane
14ers: 58  13  46 
13ers: 256 23 19
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Wildernessjane »

cottonmountaineering wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:00 pm its faster to walk that road than try to get a 4wd up it
That may be true from Jaws 1 on but a mediocre 4WD enthusiast (like me) can easily make it to that point faster than one can walk. Beyond that point, it’s really more about the experience.
“Climb mountains not so the world can see you, but so you can see the world.” -David McCullough?
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

Rollie Free wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:12 am The best trip report of all time. 14ers isnt real clear about Como not being paved.
He may have mentioned his girlfriend status a time or two.

https://14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=20439
chef's kiss