Multi Day/Night Mountain Adventure

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
ryandecker
14ers: 13 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Multi Day/Night Mountain Adventure

Post by ryandecker »

I have a buddy coming to town at the end of May and looking to do a backpacking trip over the course of 3 or 4 days - I've been planning for Chicago Basin and hitting Eoulus, Windom, Sunlight + others.

I know there will be a decent amount of snow in that area still at the end of May and planning for any other unforeseen circumstances - What are some of your favorite multi day/multi mountain trips with camp sites off the beaten path?
nunns
14ers: 43 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Multi Day/Night Mountain Adventure

Post by nunns »

I wouldn't say that the Blanca group is exactly off the beaten path, but once we got up that horrible Lake Como "road" it is beautiful at Lake Como. And last year there were very few people up there, even in July.
Hoping the same thing applies this year at South Colony Lakes & Willow Lakes.
Camping near tree line on the trail to Wetterhorn was also very nice. Lets of people camped at the 4WD trailhead. Very few/none a couple of miles up the trail.

Sean Nunn
"Thy righteousness is like the great mountains." --Psalms 36:6
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

nunns wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:03 am Camping near tree line on the trail to Wetterhorn was also very nice. Lets of people camped at the 4WD trailhead. Very few/none a couple of miles up the trail.
It's highly unlikely that the road will be open in May though. Of course you could walk from the closure.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Big Dominguez-Little Dominguez would make a nice loop. There are lots of petroglyphs and waterfalls and late May is the best time to go.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
nunns
14ers: 43 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nunns »

Scott P wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:09 am
nunns wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:03 am Camping near tree line on the trail to Wetterhorn was also very nice. Lets of people camped at the 4WD trailhead. Very few/none a couple of miles up the trail.
It's highly unlikely that the road will be open in May though. Of course you could walk from the closure.
Probably right. I was thinking the OP was just asking a general question for future reference.

Sean Nunn
"Thy righteousness is like the great mountains." --Psalms 36:6
Ptglhs
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 86 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Ptglhs »

There may well be a fair bit of snow still in Chicago Basin (and everywhere above 12k) end of May. Not saying don't do it, just be prepared. Loops 4-5 days:

Aspen Snowmass: head down snowmass Creek to Snowmass lake, up over one of the passes in the 4 pass loop amd head to geneva lake, geneva lake head either on an established trail to a jeep road to a new TH, or take a faint social trail just above treeline and drop down to regain silver creek trail south of meadow mountain on your way to avalanche lake. Continue to Capitol Lake, head north and east over the saddle between daly and haystack. Rejoin the snowmass trail 2 miles from the car. It would be pushing to do it with the peaks as well in that time frame.

Stewart Creek TH. Could do a loop up Stewart Creek to San Luis, North to baldy and Stewart Peak, South to an unnamed 13er, east on the CDT, can camp in Diablo Canyon to hike up Phoenix peak. Could also head up Hodo canon to get Organ from the east. No idea if the trail head will be open to cars end of May.

If your buddy has a car you could do a car to car along the gore range trail. Peaks up there are climbable, if you know what you're doing. Indian Peaks Wilderness near RMNP is beautiful, but tons of snow in May still. The Sangres will be the most snow free, probably. If you're okay with valley views and a narrow range there's a lot of options for seldom used trails.