Quartzville USLM TH

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Ed_Groves
14ers: 25 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (4)

Quartzville USLM TH

Post by Ed_Groves »

Currently on AllTrails the following text is included in the description for the east slope route to Mt Lincoln:
INDEFINITE CLOSURE: As of March 2021, this trail is closed indefinitely. This is an illegal trail accessed via private property. Please do not use this route to access Mount Lincoln.

The last thread I could find discussing this trailhead was in 2017 so I thought it might be best to start a new one since this notice is dated March 2021. I have three trips planned to Colorado this summer and one includes a person who will require some relatively easier trails to get started. I was including this one for that person, as well as Mt Sherman to begin with. Can someone confirm if the powers that be are clamping down on restrictions for using this trailhead, or is the Quartzville USLM parking at 11650 feet still available?
"Education is the process of moving from cocksure ignorance to thoughtful uncertainty." (Utvich)
weakenedwarrior
14ers: 32  1  15 
13ers: 34 3 3
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Quartzville USLM TH

Post by weakenedwarrior »

Lookup the Driving Directions section of the Quartzville Trailhead. It tells you where the private property is and where to park.
Ed_Groves
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Ed_Groves »

weakenedwarrior wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:18 am Lookup the Driving Directions section of the Quartzville Trailhead. It tells you where the private property is and where to park.
Thanks for responding. I looked that up before I posted, but those directions were created before March 2021. So the question remains, did something change in March this year, or does the Quartzville trailhead information on this site still apply?
Last edited by Ed_Groves on Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Education is the process of moving from cocksure ignorance to thoughtful uncertainty." (Utvich)
aholle88
14ers: 57  24  26 
13ers: 300 29 3
Trip Reports (1)

Post by aholle88 »

The hike from Quartzville isn’t really any more/less difficult than doing Lincoln from the standard route via Kite Lake. Just go from Kite and avoid any of the Quartzville parking issues. There are masses parked at Kite, so getting there by 5-6am at latest would be advised, but it’s all legal as long as you pay the $5 fee.
Ed_Groves
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Ed_Groves »

aholle88 wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:04 pm The hike from Quartzville isn’t really any more/less difficult than doing Lincoln from the standard route via Kite Lake. Just go from Kite and avoid any of the Quartzville parking issues. There are masses parked at Kite, so getting there by 5-6am at latest would be advised, but it’s all legal as long as you pay the $5 fee.
Thanks, I climbed Lincoln as part of the Decalibron last September and am aware of that route. Just from looking at the description of both trails, hiking the old mining road up the east slope would appear to be easier on the knees. I am planning this for my wife and I have reason to worry that she will cop out going up Cameron which is why I am debating taking her on the east slope. Also, the west ridge would be 2600 feet elevation gain in 3 miles, while the east slope is 2650 in 3.25 miles. I know that doesn't give me much detail, but as a summary I was hoping the extra quarter mile to do pretty much the same amount of elevation gain would make it easier for her.
9patrickmurphy
14ers: 50  1  2 
13ers: 318 23 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by 9patrickmurphy »

Ed_Groves wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:16 pm ...the west ridge would be 2600 feet elevation gain in 3 miles, while the east slope is 2650 in 3.25 miles. I know that doesn't give me much detail, but as a summary I was hoping the extra quarter mile to do pretty much the same amount of elevation gain would make it easier for her.
That difference is really quite negligible. If you think your wife might not be up for going up Lincoln from Kite Lake, having her climb a 14er might just not be a great idea in general as it doesn't get much easier than that. Sorry if this sounds rude at all, not my intention; stay safe and have fun.
Ed_Groves
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Ed_Groves »

9patrickmurphy wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:23 pm
Ed_Groves wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:16 pm ...the west ridge would be 2600 feet elevation gain in 3 miles, while the east slope is 2650 in 3.25 miles. I know that doesn't give me much detail, but as a summary I was hoping the extra quarter mile to do pretty much the same amount of elevation gain would make it easier for her.
That difference is really quite negligible. If you think your wife might not be up for going up Lincoln from Kite Lake, having her climb a 14er might just not be a great idea in general as it doesn't get much easier than that. Sorry if this sounds rude at all, not my intention; stay safe and have fun.
Thanks for the comments. No, it doesn't sound rude and I get it. Last year she gave up at 13000 feet on Grays Peak so you are in the ballpark with your statement. She is in good shape and has done some 13ers with me. The trouble is she lets this stuff get in her head when she is breathing hard but she is going to Colorado with me on one of my trips and it would be awesome to get her on top of a 14er to build her confidence. Otherwise, every time she goes with me I will be limited. That may be the way it has to be, but she wants to try again this year, so here we go! :-D
9patrickmurphy
14ers: 50  1  2 
13ers: 318 23 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by 9patrickmurphy »

It's absolute heresy to suggest this, but there is always Mt Evans.
espressoself
14ers: 33  1 
13ers: 40 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by espressoself »

I don't know the status of Quartzville Creek but for what it's worth, if you are looking to do a gentle (albeit slightly longer) climb in that area, Bross (and/or Lincoln) from Mineral Park is about as gentle as it gets. The Bristlecones and mine remnants make it interesting, and its not difficult to find solitude on a weekend on that side.
Ed_Groves
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Ed_Groves »

9patrickmurphy wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:32 pm It's absolute heresy to suggest this, but there is always Mt Evans.
That is not a bad suggestion.
espressoself wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:35 pm I don't know the status of Quartzville Creek but for what it's worth, if you are looking to do a gentle (albeit slightly longer) climb in that area, Bross (and/or Lincoln) from Mineral Park is about as gentle as it gets. The Bristlecones and mine remnants make it interesting, and its not difficult to find solitude on a weekend on that side.
I was thinking the mineral park route to Bross was quite easy. It's just that Bross is such a relatively ugly mountain top. However, maybe that is the route I should take. Afterall, I am trying to give her confidence. Who cares if it is the top of Bross that does it.
Last edited by Ed_Groves on Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.