Maroon Bells Lake parking

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Buckie06
14ers: 56  3  4 
13ers: 18 1 3
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Maroon Bells Lake parking

Post by Buckie06 »

Has anyone taken the shuttle up, then backpacked overnight and taken the shuttle down the next day using a Roundtrip Reservation? I can't find anywhere on the website if you have to do your return shuttle on the same day. And no one is answering the phones.....
sieggy80305
14ers: 32 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by sieggy80305 »

CB? You have a link to the trailhead?
ncxhjhgvbi
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 58 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ncxhjhgvbi »

Buckie06 wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:59 am Has anyone taken the shuttle up, then backpacked overnight and taken the shuttle down the next day using a Roundtrip Reservation? I can't find anywhere on the website if you have to do your return shuttle on the same day. And no one is answering the phones.....
We did that last year - you can park overnight in the lot by the shuttle pickup. However per one of the posts above it seems you can't park there in perpetuity.

Edit: I don't believe they were checking tickets on the way down, only on the way up from aspen. Don't quote me on that though.
Last edited by ncxhjhgvbi on Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Barnold41
14ers: 15 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Barnold41 »

"The most photographed peaks in North America"

We got lucky and got Pyramid before they started doing this insane res system... find another route and enjoy the Elks. Standard is overrated, anyway.
sieggy80305
Trip Reports (0)

Post by sieggy80305 »

According to the website for reservations you cannot park more than 2 nights.
dwoodward13
14ers: 58  12 
13ers: 157 6
Trip Reports (1)

Post by dwoodward13 »

sieggy80305 wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:00 pm CB? You have a link to the trailhead?
East Fork Trailhead just north of Schofield Pass. Its the western terminus for the West Maroon #1970 trail. You have to hike about 3 miles to reach the official 4PL loop trail. You intersect almost exactly halfway between West Maroon and Frigid Air Passes.

We started/ended here last year and I would do it again even if there wasn't a reservation system.
Chicago Transplant
14ers: 58  12  24 
13ers: 697 39 34
Trip Reports (66)

Post by Chicago Transplant »

sieggy80305 wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:00 pm CB? You have a link to the trailhead?
This is the approach from Crested Butte, up and over West Maroon Pass:

https://travelcrestedbutte.com/crested- ... oon-pass/
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day
crowdsurf
14ers: 46  2 
13ers: 11 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by crowdsurf »

Barnold41 wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:01 pm "The most photographed peaks in North America"

...find another route and enjoy the Elks. Standard is overrated, anyway.

If you haven't done it, how do you know? Got my 2 day reservation for August 29th-31st to try and avoid the crowds. Looking to do N. Maroon or the traverse S to N.

Stoked!

screw you guys.gif
screw you guys.gif (45.41 KiB) Viewed 2863 times
"Thin air is addictive. The more I climb at altitude the more I realize I'm not in it totally for the view, or the exercise, or the company. Often, it's for the air. And I find myself judging a climb based on how strong my air felt." -from 14ers.com user tedeliason
sieggy80305
Trip Reports (0)

Post by sieggy80305 »

Gotcha, looking at it now. Thanks...looks good.
cougar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 135 2
Trip Reports (10)

Post by cougar »

A couple years ago I got a free shuttle ride back down to the overnight lot. Don't know if they're still doing that. Driver didn't check anything. Hiked up the road at night to camp at crater lake.
http://www.listsofjohn.com/m/cougar

"If we don't change direction, we'll end up where we're going."
"Bushwhacking is like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're gonna get."
"Don't give up on your dreams, stay asleep"
Wentzl
14ers: 58  20 
13ers: 55
Trip Reports (49)

Post by Wentzl »

sieggy80305 wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:51 am Just realized that the shuttle allows only 2 night parking which nixes my plans for Four Pass + Snowmass. Is there a better option available?
If you have a vehicle that can get to Lead King Basin, the start for the S Ridge on Snowmass is also a great launch spot for the 4 Pass loop + Snowmass.
Shorter of Breath and One Day Closer . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZXKgl8turY

"Social Justice" = Injustice
turbocat
14ers: 56 
13ers: 39
Trip Reports (2)

Post by turbocat »

The 2 night, 60 hour max (6am to 6PM) sure seems to discourage a leisurely trip @ the 4 pass loop with some climbing sprinkled in, at least from this trailhead. I got one but will probably wind up cancelling and opt for Lead King or Snowmass Creek to not be on a timer.

Kind of torn on this new system. The good is hopefully the limits will prevent overuse and thins the crowds a bit. As long as you are a planner and were ready to get clicking this morning (and ready to watch your browser spin), it was not too bad to score today after the initial 45 minute overwhelming of their system.
Less cowbell...more CAIRN!