Uncompahgre & Alpine Loop

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Re: Uncompahgre & Alpine Loop

Post by peter303 »

A 2WD will barely make it to Grizzly Trailhead from Lake City. I drove it twice in a Honda Civic and white knuckle much of the time. At Grizzly there are three 14er trailheads. First day climb Handies which is class 1 almost all the way as a "warm up" 14er. Sleep overnight in the ample dispersed camping around Grizzly. Then hike the long Sunshine & Redcloud double the second day.

The road beyond Grizzly is high clearance.
RhodoRose
14ers: 58 
13ers: 11 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by RhodoRose »

Be aware if you're planning on driving Hwy 50 between destinations, there may be significant delays (read: hours long) due to a big highway construction project between Gunnison and Montrose.

https://www.codot.gov/projects/us-50-li ... eek-canyon

https://www.us50info.com/impacts
But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 3: 13-14
CaptPenner
14ers: 9 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by CaptPenner »

Peter303,

I too drove a Civic for 20+ years, often to 4wd trailheads. I always told the Jeep guys “we will all get stuck someday, but I’ll be a lot closer to the main road than you will be”

Already climbed Handies, Redcloud and Uncompahgre. No desire to do Handies again. I will have to get Redcloud again in order to hit Sunshine. Wisdom ruled and I had to leave Sunshine behind last time. I look forward to Uncompahgre again, with my son this time.

peter303 wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:01 pm A 2WD will barely make it to Grizzly Trailhead from Lake City. I drove it twice in a Honda Civic and white knuckle much of the time. At Grizzly there are three 14er trailheads. First day climb Handies which is class 1 almost all the way as a "warm up" 14er. Sleep overnight in the ample dispersed camping around Grizzly. Then hike the long Sunshine & Redcloud double the second day.

supranihilest
14ers: 58  42 
13ers: 709 1 8
Trip Reports (112)

Post by supranihilest »

CaptPenner wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:32 am Peter303,

I too drove a Civic for 20+ years, often to 4wd trailheads. I always told the Jeep guys “we will all get stuck someday, but I’ll be a lot closer to the main road than you will be”

Already climbed Handies, Redcloud and Uncompahgre. No desire to do Handies again. I will have to get Redcloud again in order to hit Sunshine. Wisdom ruled and I had to leave Sunshine behind last time. I look forward to Uncompahgre again, with my son this time.

peter303 wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:01 pm A 2WD will barely make it to Grizzly Trailhead from Lake City. I drove it twice in a Honda Civic and white knuckle much of the time. At Grizzly there are three 14er trailheads. First day climb Handies which is class 1 almost all the way as a "warm up" 14er. Sleep overnight in the ample dispersed camping around Grizzly. Then hike the long Sunshine & Redcloud double the second day.

You could do Sunshine's east ridge from Mill Creek campground which would save the drive up the road to Silver Creek/Grizzly Gulch Trailhead as well the repeat of Redcloud.
Tornadoman
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 266 35
Trip Reports (12)

Post by Tornadoman »

+1 on doing Sunshine from the east ridge from the Mill Creek Campground. Avoids the rough road and the up and downs of going over Redcloud and back. Steep gaining the ridge but certainly a reasonable day.
Climb the mountain so you can see the world, not so the world can see you.
Alice_C
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Alice_C »

Recommended base camp for Redcloud/Sunshine (Day 1) Handies (Day 2)

I'll be driving a mid-clearance, AWD.

Thanks for any recs for the trip!
climbingcue
14ers: 58  8  27 
13ers: 317 21 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbingcue »

Alice_C wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:20 am Recommended base camp for Redcloud/Sunshine (Day 1) Handies (Day 2)

I'll be driving a mid-clearance, AWD.

Thanks for any recs for the trip!

Silver Creek/Grizzly Gulch Trailhead
Co Rd 30
Lake City, CO 81235

We car camped right in this parking lot for two nights to do the same thing you want to do. There is also room to setup tents right next to this parking lot.
Consecutive months with at least one 13er or 14er, 72 months