S Mineral campground/Ice Lakes TH conditions

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Re: S Mineral campground/Ice Lakes TH conditions

Post by d_baker »

With snow, I would think that slope and rolling talus wouldn't be an issue if coverage is good.
Bombay2Boulder wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:47 pm On the recent conditions, I did see a lot of slide activity remnants when I visited Trout Lake in February and then again last week. If anyone wants a recent condition of the gulch, I can take some pictures from Trout lake, but still plenty of snow up high there.
Do you have pictures from your most recent trip up there?
supranihilest
14ers: 58  42 
13ers: 709 1 8
Trip Reports (112)

Post by supranihilest »

Does anyone know how these trail closures typically work? Whiley and I did "V 9", 13,300 D, Beattie, Vermilion, Fuller, and Golden Horn starting at Bandora Mine and ending at South Mineral Creek/Ice Lakes trailhead with a shuttle. Is the area itself closed? Just access from South Mineral Creek? Is FS 585 from South Mineral Creek trailhead to Rico-Silverton trailhead closed? Could we theoretically repeat our climb again or would that be violating the closure? Curious how difficult it will be to find alternate access for everything from Pilot Knob through US Grant through the Lookouts and "V 5" without being able to get up via Ice Lakes trail.
osprey
14ers: 52  16 
13ers: 144 17
Trip Reports (9)

Post by osprey »

Lookout Peak is done from the Ophir Pass summit.
US Grant, V2 and V4 can be done from the Ophir Pass road starting at Iron Springs.
Pilot Knob can be done from Poverty Gulch which is a shorter approach than from Ice Lakes.
"Rocks, mountains, snow and ice: what more do we desire?" - Reinhard Karl

“I breathed in the air on the summit and liked it better than the air below.”
supranihilest
Trip Reports (112)

Post by supranihilest »

osprey wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:27 pm Lookout Peak is done from the Ophir Pass summit.
US Grant, V2 and V4 can be done from the Ophir Pass road starting at Iron Springs.
Pilot Knob can be done from Poverty Gulch which is a shorter approach than from Ice Lakes.
Good to know, thanks osprey!
dwoodward13
14ers: 58  12 
13ers: 157 6
Trip Reports (1)

Post by dwoodward13 »

supranihilest wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:16 pm Does anyone know how these trail closures typically work? Whiley and I did "V 9", 13,300 D, Beattie, Vermilion, Fuller, and Golden Horn starting at Bandora Mine and ending at South Mineral Creek/Ice Lakes trailhead with a shuttle. Is the area itself closed? Just access from South Mineral Creek? Is FS 585 from South Mineral Creek trailhead to Rico-Silverton trailhead closed? Could we theoretically repeat our climb again or would that be violating the closure? Curious how difficult it will be to find alternate access for everything from Pilot Knob through US Grant through the Lookouts and "V 5" without being able to get up via Ice Lakes trail.
It’s an area closure not a “trail closure” per say, which includes “going in or being upon NFS land” in the marked area. If you repeated your climb, you’d enter the closure area and be subject up to a 5k fine or up to 6 months in jail if found.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_D ... 835677.pdf

Interestingly, FS 585 is included in the closure from Goldenhorn CG to where it crosses Clear Creek. The order specifically excludes S Mineral CG, but like, how would you even get there if that closed section of road includes the turn off for the CG entrance??
supranihilest
Trip Reports (112)

Post by supranihilest »

dwoodward13 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:39 pm
supranihilest wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:16 pm Does anyone know how these trail closures typically work? Whiley and I did "V 9", 13,300 D, Beattie, Vermilion, Fuller, and Golden Horn starting at Bandora Mine and ending at South Mineral Creek/Ice Lakes trailhead with a shuttle. Is the area itself closed? Just access from South Mineral Creek? Is FS 585 from South Mineral Creek trailhead to Rico-Silverton trailhead closed? Could we theoretically repeat our climb again or would that be violating the closure? Curious how difficult it will be to find alternate access for everything from Pilot Knob through US Grant through the Lookouts and "V 5" without being able to get up via Ice Lakes trail.
It’s an area closure not a “trail closure” per say, which includes “going in or being upon NFS land” in the marked area. If you repeated your climb, you’d enter the closure area and be subject up to a 5k fine or up to 6 months in jail if found.

Interestingly, FS 585 is included in the closure from Goldenhorn CG to where it crosses Clear Creek. The order specifically excludes S Mineral CG, but like, how would you even get there if that closed section of road includes the turn off for the CG entrance??
Thanks for the PDF, that makes it much more clear. Based on that it looks like all the peaks in the area can be done, they'll just have to be done from trailheads other than Ice Lakes and hikers/climbers will have to be mindful of the closure boundaries, especially when combining peaks.
dwoodward13
14ers: 58  12 
13ers: 157 6
Trip Reports (1)

Post by dwoodward13 »

supranihilest wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:29 pm
dwoodward13 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:39 pm

Thanks for the PDF, that makes it much more clear. Based on that it looks like all the peaks in the area can be done, they'll just have to be done from trailheads other than Ice Lakes and hikers/climbers will have to be mindful of the closure boundaries, especially when combining peaks.
I suspect, given the popularity of this area, the USFS will try their best to get it open for the bulk of the summer season. The current closure order is set to expire on 7/1. IMO this area could benefit from a reduced human presence by removing the main access point to Ice Lakes for a season, so maybe that being extended wouldn't be the worst thing.
RyGuy
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 230 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by RyGuy »

dwoodward13 wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:28 am I suspect, given the popularity of this area, the USFS will try their best to get it open for the bulk of the summer season. The current closure order is set to expire on 7/1. IMO this area could benefit from a reduced human presence by removing the main access point to Ice Lakes for a season, so maybe that being extended wouldn't be the worst thing.
Yeah, that area badly needs a rest and a strong plan to slow the hordes. Last year was a disaster for the area in just about every way possible.

As much as I hate to say it, I think the USFS needs to gate the road to Clear Lake at the bottom, permit the trail (along with ranger patrols funded from the permits) and follow Crested Butte's lead in dealing with the explosion of dispersed camping in the valley. Otherwise we are probably going to have another forest fire due to all the careless tourists that come. Banning SxS traffic up the Mineral Creek road wouldn't be a bad step either. Most of the folks using those are folks from OK and TX and usually tend to care less about what they do to the environment.

Seems harsh, but frankly the area is going to get destroyed if action isn't taken. As annoying as the Maroon Bells parking lot situation is....think if that hadn't happened and it was still just a first come, first serve without any rules\enforcement.
"Climbing mountains is the only thing I know that combines the best of the physical, spiritual, and emotional world all rolled into one." -Steve Gladbach
Bombay2Boulder
14ers: 56  3 
13ers: 269 1
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Bombay2Boulder »

d_baker wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:46 pm With snow, I would think that slope and rolling talus wouldn't be an issue if coverage is good.
Bombay2Boulder wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:47 pm On the recent conditions, I did see a lot of slide activity remnants when I visited Trout Lake in February and then again last week. If anyone wants a recent condition of the gulch, I can take some pictures from Trout lake, but still plenty of snow up high there.
Do you have pictures from your most recent trip up there?
I don't actually. There is some weather moving in today and tomorrow, but I will swing by on Saturday and get a few pics.
Bombay2Boulder
14ers: 56  3 
13ers: 269 1
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Bombay2Boulder »

Gonna be closed till Sept 15th now. Much needed relief for that area. This might very well be before permits are implemented next year.
https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/sanjuan/ ... EPRD915778
bdloftin77
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 58
Trip Reports (2)

Post by bdloftin77 »

Bombay2Boulder wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 2:56 pm Gonna be closed till Sept 15th now. Much needed relief for that area. This might very well be before permits are implemented next year.
https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/sanjuan/ ... EPRD915778
Thanks for the update.
Tufftommy-BV
14ers: 57  4 
13ers: 509
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Tufftommy-BV »

According to NFS the area is now open! Yay!
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted....