S Mineral campground/Ice Lakes TH conditions

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Wentzl
14ers: 58  20 
13ers: 55
Trip Reports (49)

Re: S Mineral campground/Ice Lakes TH conditions

Post by Wentzl »

I was up there yesterday (9/25/21) and was surprised how little was burned. It burned for something like two weeks and then the long closure, there was only a small area around the road leading up to Clear Lake that burned. Pretty much just as pretty as it ever was. I noticed big areas of trees not effected by the bark beetles.

Funny, it made me wonder where else I had been in recent years where you could see an area NOT impacted by the Bark Beetles.

Well, that is a conversation for another day. The point of this post was just to say that South Mineral Campground and the Ice Lake/Island Lake area was not so severely impacted by the fire last year as one might assume.
Burnt Area
Burnt Area
SSCN1358[1].JPG (147.28 KiB) Viewed 1010 times
Shorter of Breath and One Day Closer . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZXKgl8turY

"Social Justice" = Injustice
WildWanderer
14ers: 58  18 
13ers: 491 13
Trip Reports (343)

Re: S Mineral campground/Ice Lakes TH conditions

Post by WildWanderer »

I was there yesterday and today. I was also surprised at how little had burned. It looked like just a small area, near the 4WD road, and where the avalanche hit a few years ago. It was actually difficult to get a good picture of the burn area, because it was so small (it's the area to the right in the 1st picture).
It's a mountain: get over it.