Durango-Silverton Train

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Jorts
14ers: 58  4  2 
13ers: 102 11 5
Trip Reports (10)

Durango-Silverton Train

Post by Jorts »

Anyone have any insight as to what will be available this season with regards to accessing and departing Needleton for overnighters?

I'm a n0ob and didn't get anywhere talking to the operator or navigating through the plethora of booking options on their website.
Traveling light is the only way to fly.
IG: @colorado_invasive
Strava: Brent Herring
cottonmountaineering
14ers: 58  7  18 
13ers: 178 38 31
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Durango-Silverton Train

Post by cottonmountaineering »

im not going to be giving them any money after they started the forest fire, but last time i rode you had to call them to book a reservation
(888) 872-4607
pmreyn2010
14ers: 50  3 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (2)

Post by pmreyn2010 »

I did a virtual chat with someone in their office about a week ago via their website. They said that they were still working out the details for this summer for wilderness access, but that they’d email me once they were ready to take bookings for that in a few weeks’ time, and that I could call their office at that time to book the reservation.
ClimbingFool
14ers: 58 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ClimbingFool »

pmreyn2010 wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:57 pm they’d email me once they were ready to take bookings for that in a few weeks’ time, and that I could call their office at that time to book the reservation.
I called them late March and they promised to have an answer in 'a couple of weeks'. You think I should have clarified from which date they are measuring the two week period? :)
quinnwolf
14ers: 58  3  2 
13ers: 55 1 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by quinnwolf »

Call them and ask to be put on the email list. They said they would email me when they start accepting reservations (they didn't give a timeframe of when that would be). I did that three weeks ago, and still haven't heard anything. I am always a little nervous giving email addresses over the phone since there is no guarantee that they recorded the information correctly.
Keep us posted here if you hear anything new.
jrs1965
14ers: 58  1  3 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jrs1965 »

pmreyn2010 wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:57 pm I did a virtual chat with someone in their office about a week ago via their website. They said that they were still working out the details for this summer for wilderness access, but that they’d email me once they were ready to take bookings for that in a few weeks’ time, and that I could call their office at that time to book the reservation.
The chat worked well for me. I got the same response a few weeks ago about having a decision on Needleton in a few weeks. Please post something when you get that email!
Trotter
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 220 2 8
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Trotter »

I just added myself to the email list. They told me today that they'd be ready for reservations in 2-3 weeks. And that the train would definitely run this year.
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche
WVMountaineer
14ers: 58  4 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by WVMountaineer »

Trotter wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:00 am I just added myself to the email list. They told me today that they'd be ready for reservations in 2-3 weeks. And that the train would definitely run this year.
They told me the same thing a week ago. I think everyone is getting the same answer and this 2-3 week prediction doesn't mean anything. I'm on the email list too so all I can hope is the details are sent soon.
"There are two ways to measure life; the number of days you simply exist or the number of days you spend truly living your human experience." 14ers.com user goingup
3DCJ
14ers: 54  4 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by 3DCJ »

I have the Chicago basin peaks on my list for this summer, too. I hope that the RR won't provide a means to access this area by train. I think the reservation system at the Maroon Bells was actually a good thing to start as many of our trail systems are under a lot of stress.
Mtnman200
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 440
Trip Reports (85)

Post by Mtnman200 »

When the train is running again, if you’re looking to save some money, ask them about the Backpacker Special. Basically, you take the PM train from Silverton for a reduced fare and free parking.
"Adventure without risk is not possible." - Reinhold Messner
Kiefer
14ers: 58  39 
13ers: 317 24
Trip Reports (18)

Post by Kiefer »

Mtnman200 wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:03 pm When the train is running again, if you’re looking to save some money, ask them about the Backpacker Special. Basically, you take the PM train from Silverton for a reduced fare and free parking.
Man, that's awesome if it's true. We're heading in there in August. Doing a Ruby Basin-Chicago loop. I read that they're only running trips FROM Durango this year. And limited at that. Think I'll need to call to confirm.
Mtnman200
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 440
Trip Reports (85)

Post by Mtnman200 »

Kiefer wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:38 am
Mtnman200 wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:03 pm When the train is running again, if you’re looking to save some money, ask them about the Backpacker Special. Basically, you take the PM train from Silverton for a reduced fare and free parking.
Man, that's awesome if it's true. We're heading in there in August. Doing a Ruby Basin-Chicago loop. I read that they're only running trips FROM Durango this year. And limited at that. Think I'll need to call to confirm.
I’ve done that twice, and I really liked the free parking. It gets expensive in Durango if you’re gone for a week.
"Adventure without risk is not possible." - Reinhold Messner