Durango-Silverton Train

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
WildWanderer
14ers: 58  18 
13ers: 491 13
Trip Reports (343)

Re: Durango-Silverton Train

Post by WildWanderer »

dwoodward13 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 3:58 pm
ReginaThomas wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 3:52 pm Here’s a pic of the avy debris in 2019. There are 3 slides left
To be cleared I think.
There are actually only 2 piles left. All of the piles had orange flagging tape marking where to go thru if all the polished wood and broken sticks weren't clue enough as of Aug 2020. Its not a big deal other than taking a bit more time. Longest one is 1000 feet long.

https://www.durangoherald.com/articles/ ... ado-trail/
https://www.durangoherald.com/articles/ ... s-by-fall/
Agreed. I wouldn't take a horse through the area, and a bike might be iffy, but if you're on foot you'll be fine. I saw several people navigate this area with dogs. It ws MUCH better in 2020 than it was in 2019
It's a mountain: get over it.
wineguy
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 143
Trip Reports (7)

Post by wineguy »

ReginaThomas wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 3:52 pm Here’s a pic of the avy debris in 2019. There are 3 slides left
To be cleared I think.
Great photo. I know that avalanche debris can be a hindrance. But on the positive side, it can also be breathtaking, one of those "power of nature" moments. The size of the tree debris highlights how unique the weather was in 2019. The 15+ inch diameter tree debris suggests the area hadn't avalanched for 30-40 years. I've seen lots of areas like this post-2019. Always stop to stare in amazement.
"Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs. I am haunted by waters." - Norman Maclean
Jon Frohlich
14ers: 58 
13ers: 162 3
Trip Reports (29)

Post by Jon Frohlich »

There are pictures in my TR of Vestal from last Sept of the debris.

https://14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=20680

More has been cleared since those photos. They really aren't that big of a deal especially with more clearing having been done.
angry
14ers: 58  45 
13ers: 231 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by angry »

I did the Trinities Traverse October 25, 2020 and the approach was cruiser. Clear, easy path through remaining debris.
fahixson
14ers: 57 
13ers: 31
Trip Reports (1)

Post by fahixson »

Some details on the train booking ...
  • $121.92/person including taxes and fees for the roundtrip Needleton stop from Durango
  • Cancellation available up to 5 days prior with a $14/ticket fee
  • Ticket changes possible (subject to availability) with a $6/ticket fee
  • Needleton drop offs limited to 9 groups/day (and no more than 15 people in a group)
  • Be at train station by 7:30am; Drop off around 10:30ish; Suggested you're back to Needleton by 2:30pm for return trip
Jon Frohlich
13ers: 162 3
Trip Reports (29)

Post by Jon Frohlich »

fahixson wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 9:32 am
  • Needleton drop offs limited to 9 groups/day (and no more than 15 people in a group)
Kind of wondered if they'd ever admit they were limiting groups. They'd been doing it the last few years unofficially without saying it out loud. I assume the FS and the train were trying to work it out and testing the limits.
Jturner2489
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Jturner2489 »

Does anyone know if they are doing needleton drop offs from silverton this year?
Jorts
14ers: 58  4  2 
13ers: 102 11 5
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Jorts »

Jturner2489 wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 9:24 am Does anyone know if they are doing needleton drop offs from silverton this year?
No, they're not. Per Forest Service's orders, they discontinued the drop from Silverton several years ago.
Traveling light is the only way to fly.
IG: @colorado_invasive
Strava: Brent Herring
bdwyer
13ers: 640
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bdwyer »

Kiefer wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:38 am
Mtnman200 wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:03 pm When the train is running again, if you’re looking to save some money, ask them about the Backpacker Special. Basically, you take the PM train from Silverton for a reduced fare and free parking.
Man, that's awesome if it's true. We're heading in there in August. Doing a Ruby Basin-Chicago loop. I read that they're only running trips FROM Durango this year. And limited at that. Think I'll need to call to confirm.
There is no drop off from Silverton. You must board in Durango this year. Disappointing. Also, last call I had with train (and each person you get has different info sometimes) they say the Forest Service is limiting any specific day to 15 groups of backpackers. Unclear how many in a group. I asked if I was ONE person was I a group and they answered yes. Dah. Was also told that if I diverted from the reservation days, I would only be picked up if there was room on the train.
DaveLanders
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DaveLanders »

bdwyer wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:50 pm
Kiefer wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:38 am
Mtnman200 wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:03 pm When the train is running again, if you’re looking to save some money, ask them about the Backpacker Special. Basically, you take the PM train from Silverton for a reduced fare and free parking.
Man, that's awesome if it's true. We're heading in there in August. Doing a Ruby Basin-Chicago loop. I read that they're only running trips FROM Durango this year. And limited at that. Think I'll need to call to confirm.
There is no drop off from Silverton. You must board in Durango this year. Disappointing. Also, last call I had with train (and each person you get has different info sometimes) they say the Forest Service is limiting any specific day to 15 groups of backpackers. Unclear how many in a group. I asked if I was ONE person was I a group and they answered yes. Dah. Was also told that if I diverted from the reservation days, I would only be picked up if there was room on the train.
There's always room on the southbound train because lots of tourists ride the train one way and get back on their tour buses in Silverton. And the conductors are good people and will get you on a train especially if the weather is bad. One time we were standing in the rain at Elk Park, and I guess we looked so pathetic that a train that wasn't even scheduled to stop actually picked us up. The fact that there's always empty seats on the southbound train makes it even more disgusting that the Forest Service a-holes won't allow the train to drop off people originating in Silverton
Every village has at least one idiot. Successful villages choose someone else to be their leader.
wombat
Trip Reports (2)

Post by wombat »

Big if true.

Someone told me I could hike 3-4 hours from a “Purgatory” to where the train would drop me off? And I would save time and money.
Conor
14ers: 41  6  6 
13ers: 51 1 1
Trip Reports (7)

Post by Conor »

wombat wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 6:21 pm Big if true.

Someone told me I could hike 3-4 hours from a “Purgatory” to where the train would drop me off? And I would save time and money.
it's 9.2 miles, 1600' vert, 2000' descent to just needleton. Another 6 miles I believe to chi basin. I guess it all depends on how fast you hike with a pack on. I packed into the big horns last summer in just under 3 hours - 7.4 miles, 1300' vert. And I beat a guy who was on horse back.

I think a 4 hour time purg flats to needleton is a VERY respectable time. Especially if you can carry on that pace and put in camp in a higher basin. You could leave your car at 6 am and beat the train people up into chi basin. You could probably leave at 7 since most people getting off the train couldn't carry on a 25 min/mile pace with the shape they're in and the packs they carry.