Trailhead Vehicle Surveillance

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
jschooch
14ers: 47 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Trailhead Vehicle Surveillance

Post by jschooch »

I'm a frequent hiker around town and have several 14ers and backpacking trips planned this year. With the uptick in vehicle break ins and catalytic converter craze I have been thinking about buying a cheap security camera to hang up at some of the less traveled trailheads to keep an eye on my vehicle. Wondering if anyone else does something similar or has a recommendation for a CHEAP, battery powered camera that records to an internal memory or SD card?
cottonmountaineering
14ers: 58  7  18 
13ers: 178 38 31
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Trailhead Vehicle Surveillance

Post by cottonmountaineering »

a trail camera might work

im not sure if it will prevent anything though, you'll look at the footage and be like yep, meth
bluegrassclimber
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bluegrassclimber »

Skip the camera. Two pit bulls and a ring of cattle fencing (the roll up kind.) Effective against marmots too.
madbuck
Trip Reports (6)

Post by madbuck »

cottonmountaineering wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:00 am im not sure if it will prevent anything though, you'll look at the footage and be like yep, meth
:lol: ](*,)

Some jackasses stole our bikes from the back of our car in the armpit town of Council Bluffs, Iowa (can't say bad enough things about that place), and it was caught on hotel camera.
Not clear enough to capture license plates, and never got the bikes back.

I did get to watch the video several times and get angry, though!
And I learned about extensive meth problems there.
Trotter
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 220 2 8
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Trotter »

cottonmountaineering wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:00 am a trail camera might work

im not sure if it will prevent anything though, you'll look at the footage and be like yep, meth
Trail camera would be way to go.

Keep in mind, unless you get a good clear shot of their license plates, photos aren't worth much.
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche
ker0uac
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ker0uac »

Here's a pro tip - plaster your car with bumper stickers, lots of it of don't tread on me snakes and MAGA and USA flags, and leave empty cans of Nat Light beer on your back seat.
Those who travel to mountain-tops are half in love with themselves and half in love with oblivion
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtree »

I've never had a break in or problem at trailheads. I don't worry about it.

If you're concerned, leave your doors unlocked and leave nothing you value in your vehicle. As for the catalytic converter, heck, if they're so determined they'll travel to a remote trailhead to get one, its theirs! Odds of that seem pretty low when so much easier to snatch in town.

Setting up a camera seems like a waste of time to me, but to each his own. I'd be more worried about someone pilfering my beer from the creek!
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
pvnisher
Trip Reports (8)

Post by pvnisher »

ker0uac wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:02 am Here's a pro tip - plaster your car with bumper stickers, lots of it of don't tread on me snakes and MAGA and USA flags, and leave empty cans of Nat Light beer on your back seat.
This advice applies to nearly every situation.
ezabielski
14ers: 43  1 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ezabielski »

Why wouldn't you just use an always-on pair of dash/reverse cameras? Will also help you capture the much more likely event of a traffic accident on the way to the trailhead.
Trotter
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 220 2 8
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Trotter »

ezabielski wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:18 pm Why wouldn't you just use an always-on pair of dash/reverse cameras? Will also help you capture the much more likely event of a traffic accident on the way to the trailhead.
Well if they broke into the car, wouldn't they just steal the dash camera too?
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche
jschooch
14ers: 47 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jschooch »

Good points brought up everyone....or almost everyone :lol: . Maybe not worth the effort. I do have a few trail cameras that I use for scouting and maybe I'll throw one of the cheap ones out there sometime. Appreciate the feedback!