Getting to Needleton

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Jorts
14ers: 58  4  2 
13ers: 102 11 5
Trip Reports (10)

Getting to Needleton

Post by Jorts »

Being that the southbound train no longer stops at Needleton, what do you all figure is the most efficient way to bag the Eolus group before continuing up to the other SJs?

I've been considering:

1) Parking at Purgatory and hiking in/out
2) Parking at Silverton, hitching a ride to Purgatory, hiking in, then taking the train north from Needleton to Silverton
3) Parking at Silverton, taking the train to Elk Park, hiking in along the tracks/creek and then taking the train back north
4) Parking at Silverton, train to Elk Park, hiking the high loop to Sunlight Lake and having a go from that side before hiking out to Needleton to catch the train (probably the least efficient option).

Durango with the late train southbound does not make for a good option.

Thoughts? Anyone have a more creative solution?

Thanks
Traveling light is the only way to fly.
IG: @colorado_invasive
Strava: Brent Herring
jfm3
14ers: 58 
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (12)

Re: Getting to Needleton

Post by jfm3 »

When I go after these peaks this year I'm going to run the approach from Purgatory, summit all 4 and run/hike back out in a single outing. No camping, no train. This style is not for everyone though.
Strava: https://www.strava.com/athletes/2596507" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/jamie.mothersbaugh.3rd/
Garmin inReach Map: https://share.garmin.com/jfmiii
John Prater
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 343 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by John Prater »

Is use of a bike "allowed" in the adventure you're planning? What about trespassing? Don't answer that.

Because you probably won't want to be tied to the train's schedule, I'd probably say #1 is the best option if you're not doing these peaks at the start of your adventure.

Though if you start the adventure with these peaks, you might consider getting dropped off in Durango, taking the train from Durango to Needleton, "start" early the next day, bagging the peaks, then catching the train north to Silverton, where your car would be waiting for you.
randalmartin
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 48 2
Trip Reports (13)

Post by randalmartin »

The better option is the one you didn't mention,

1] Park in Durango, take train to Needleton, return to Durango.
2a] Hang out and enjoy Durango for a night. Pretty easy to find some free dispersed camping in the Durango area
OR
2b] Drive straight to TH of next climb from Durango.
Jorts
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Jorts »

John Prater wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 5:17 pm Though if you start the adventure with these peaks, you might consider getting dropped off in Durango, taking the train from Durango to Needleton, "start" early the next day, bagging the peaks, then catching the train north to Silverton, where your car would be waiting for you.
That's def the best option. I just hate dragging friends or family all over SW CO while I shuttle vehicles around.
randalmartin wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 5:21 pm 1] Park in Durango, take train to Needleton, return to Durango.
2a] Hang out and enjoy Durango for a night. Pretty easy to find some free dispersed camping in the Durango area
OR
That's kind of prohibitive for getting up to the Wilson group. Going for time.
John Prater
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 343 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by John Prater »

Jorts wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 5:29 pm
John Prater wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 5:17 pm Though if you start the adventure with these peaks, you might consider getting dropped off in Durango, taking the train from Durango to Needleton, "start" early the next day, bagging the peaks, then catching the train north to Silverton, where your car would be waiting for you.
That's def the best option. I just hate dragging friends or family all over SW CO while I shuttle vehicles around.
If the train is still running the bus back to Durango for one-way folks, maybe you could park in Silverton, catch the afternoon bus to Durango, stay the night, then continue with the above.
randalmartin
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 48 2
Trip Reports (13)

Post by randalmartin »

Jorts wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 5:29 pm
randalmartin wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 5:21 pm 1] Park in Durango, take train to Needleton, return to Durango.
OR
That's kind of prohibitive for getting up to the Wilson group. Going for time.
It's a 2 hour drive from Durango to Telluride via Dolores, time from Silverton to Telluride is 1hr 48 min according to Google so not really much different.
Jorts
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Jorts »

randalmartin wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 7:17 am It's a 2 hour drive from Durango to Telluride via Dolores, time from Silverton to Telluride is 1hr 48 min according to Google so not really much different.
According to the 2019 schedule on their website, the southbound train picks up at needleton at 3:30; the northbound picks up at 11:15. I'd like to start in the morning from Chi Basin so I can hopefully swing up Sneffels that evening before going over to Silver Pick. Durango would make that impossible unfortunately.
oldschool
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (23)

Post by oldschool »

Park and hike in from Purgatory. It's a great hike, will cost you way less money, and the effort is well worth it. I did it a few years ago.

Mike
"There's a feeling I get when I look to the West and my spirit is crying for leaving" Led Zeppelin
climbingcue
14ers: 58  8  27 
13ers: 317 21 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbingcue »

oldschool wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 9:10 am Park and hike in from Purgatory. It's a great hike, will cost you way less money, and the effort is well worth it. I did it a few years ago.

Mike
This is also the way we did it, we beat the train drop off time. So we had choice of campsites before the people that took the train that day. It is 16 miles, but not a bad hike if you are in shape. We did it is 6 hours with backpacking gear for 4 nights, so I think most people should be able to do it in 10 hours taking your time.
Consecutive months with at least one 13er or 14er, 71 months
Jorts
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Jorts »

Passing on going from Purg. Just too much extra mileage. Doing a through shot from Durango to Silverton.

Thanks for all the feedback.