Silverton city limits OHV/SxS ban

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Alpinefroggy
14ers: 29  2 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (3)

Re: Silverton city limits OHV/SxS ban

Post by Alpinefroggy »

cottonmountaineering wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 8:22 am I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of Texans suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced
That's no moon. That's a lifted Ford pickup with a Texas license plate.
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

As far as I'm concerned this is a win for OHV/SxS riders, since they'll truly be outlaws when they drive through town.
9patrickmurphy
14ers: 50  1  2 
13ers: 318 23 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by 9patrickmurphy »

Alpinefroggy wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 3:09 pm
cottonmountaineering wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 8:22 am I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of Texans suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced
That's no moon. That's a lifted Ford pickup with a Texas license plate.
Hot take: 44" tires are too big.
ReginaThomas
14ers: 45 
13ers: 99 1
Trip Reports (7)

Post by ReginaThomas »

SkaredShtles wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 11:39 am
rijaca wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 11:18 am
XterraRob wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 11:15 am

Hopefully they get banned nationwide.
Texans or OHVs?
:P

I love this thread. And yes. Silverton will be fine! I do agree that the Animas might be a bit salty for a bit from all the tears.
PJ88
14ers: 34 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (0)

Post by PJ88 »

ReginaThomas wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 5:55 pm
SkaredShtles wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 11:39 am
rijaca wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 11:18 am

Texans or OHVs?
:P

I love this thread. And yes. Silverton will be fine! I do agree that the Animas might be a bit salty for a bit from all the tears.
Lot of Animasity in this thread.
434stonemill
14ers: 33 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (2)

Post by 434stonemill »

So apparently a citizen's group has forced Silverton to pause the OHV ban and put the issue to the voters of the town as a referendum this fall.

Good article today in the Colorado Sun discussing all the issues around OHV's in Colorado. I read through it fast this morning, so I do need to come back to it and take more time, as it is bit long with alot of info. But I felt it was very good journalism with a indepth look at OHV use in Colorado.

https://coloradosun.com/2021/06/17/off ... mountains/
RyGuy
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 230 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by RyGuy »

Good article. Watching the Silverton situation unfold has been like a slow motion train-wreck...with the train carrying tanks of gasoline.

The overwhelming majority of interactions I've had with OHV's have involved people tearing up the tundra, groups of them coming around corners on the way to the Lake City peak trailheads at 60 MPH and nearly hitting my Jeep, watching massive dust clouds and a loud revving sound come flying up valleys as I am hiking up and down 13ers in the area or my favorite...OHVs with the lightbars and stereo systems and such driving the loop at night and waking everyone camping near Grizzly Gulch or Nellie Creek.

Hopefully more and more places start banning them and we can all enjoy how the mountains used to be 10 years ago without all the noise, dust, trail/tundra damage.
"Climbing mountains is the only thing I know that combines the best of the physical, spiritual, and emotional world all rolled into one." -Steve Gladbach
Bombay2Boulder
14ers: 56  3 
13ers: 269 1
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Bombay2Boulder »

My personal experience, emphasis on personal, not throwing any stats out here. The SX/ OHV crowds are my least favorite folks on the trails. Frequent off trailing, political chants (Yes I came across some fine specimens doing that in SIlverton last year), loud engine noise and in general throwing out off roading etiquette. This isn't a few bad apples but rather a considerable amount of them for the locals to start noticing and being over it.
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

434stonemill wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:42 am Good article today in the Colorado Sun discussing all the issues around OHV's in Colorado.
"Texas wheelchairs"

Funniest thing I've heard all week.
Make wilderness less accessible.
climbingcue
14ers: 58  8  27 
13ers: 317 21 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbingcue »

434stonemill wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:42 am So apparently a citizen's group has forced Silverton to pause the OHV ban and put the issue to the voters of the town as a referendum this fall.

Good article today in the Colorado Sun discussing all the issues around OHV's in Colorado. I read through it fast this morning, so I do need to come back to it and take more time, as it is bit long with alot of info. But I felt it was very good journalism with a indepth look at OHV use in Colorado.

https://coloradosun.com/2021/06/17/off ... mountains/
It just boils down to the fact that there are too many people trying to squeeze into a small area. I have a SXS and have had it since 2013, I have only used it a couple of times in the last 3 years. I hate dust, and you get dusty even if you ride alone. I hate the heat, they are hot in the summer. I have really only kept it so I don't have to walk up lake como road. It does stink that there are so many, and most of the riders have no respect for the land or the people in the area where they are riding. The only fun place for me to ride in the sand dunes (no dust).
Consecutive months with at least one 13er or 14er, 72 months
Chicago Transplant
14ers: 58  12  24 
13ers: 697 39 34
Trip Reports (66)

Post by Chicago Transplant »

How about this quote from the article:
Polaris advertises “white-knuckle acceleration” and “G-force turns” on its new RZR XP Turbo S4 ̶ “the biggest, baddest beast the offroad has ever seen.” Polaris videos depict RZRs kicking up huge clouds of dust as they bank turns and launch off hills.A 2018 ad highlights the expansive cockpit views of the RZR with the message, “You can see every last inch of terrain you’re about to destroy.”
Sounds like the manufacturers are a huge part of the problem as well.
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day
letitbeirie
14ers: 16 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by letitbeirie »

Chicago Transplant wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:04 am How about this quote from the article:
Polaris advertises “white-knuckle acceleration” and “G-force turns” on its new RZR XP Turbo S4 ̶ “the biggest, baddest beast the offroad has ever seen.” Polaris videos depict RZRs kicking up huge clouds of dust as they bank turns and launch off hills.A 2018 ad highlights the expansive cockpit views of the RZR with the message, “You can see every last inch of terrain you’re about to destroy.”
Sounds like the manufacturers are a huge part of the problem as well.
2016 Colorado Revised Statutes
Title 18 - Criminal Code
Article 11 - Offenses Involving Disloyalty
Part 2 - Anarchy - Sedition
§ 18-11-202. Inciting destruction of life or property
Universal Citation: CO Rev Stat § 18-11-202 (2016)

Every person who, in this state, either orally or by writing, printing, exhibiting, or circulating written or printed words or pictures, shall advocate, teach, incite, propose, aid, abet, encourage, or advise the unlawful injury or destruction of private or public property by the use of physical force, violence, or bodily injury, or the unlawful injury by the use of physical force or violence of any person, or the unlawful taking of human life, as a policy or course of conduct, under circumstances constituting a clear and present danger that violent action will result therefrom, commits a class 6 felony.

https://law.justia.com/codes/colorado/2 ... -18-11-202
IANAL, so I don't know how literally their ad copy would have to be taken to be found in violation of this.

I do know that Red Bull ended up paying out like $15 million a few years back because their product does not literally give you wings though, so to a layman having read the text of the law their ad seems... brave?