Silverton city limits OHV/SxS ban

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
XterraRob
14ers: 42  7 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (4)

Re: Silverton city limits OHV/SxS ban

Post by XterraRob »

cottonmountaineering wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 8:22 am I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of Texans suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced
I agree, this is a good move, though it may hurt business. Hopefully they get banned nationwide. Enough reckless drivers to spoil the bunch. It's bad here in AZ.
RIP - M56
Re-introduce Grizzly Bears into the Colorado Wilderness™
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

XterraRob wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 11:15 am
cottonmountaineering wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 8:22 am I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of Texans suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced
Hopefully they get banned nationwide.
Texans or OHVs?
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

rijaca wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 11:18 am
Texans or OHVs?
Last edited by SkaredShtles on Wed May 19, 2021 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
two lunches
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (0)

Post by two lunches »

SkaredShtles wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 11:39 am
XterraRob wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 11:15 am Hopefully they get banned nationwide.
Texans or OHVs?
whynotboth.jpg
bless this forum.
“To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” – Mary Davis
Kiefer
14ers: 58  39 
13ers: 317 24
Trip Reports (20)

Post by Kiefer »

Texans or OHVs?
:lol:

Having applied for a position in San Miguel County (Town of Silverton), and knowing a bit about the frustratingly backward politics of the town, I'd LOVE to know what the decision process was in the face of potential loss of tourism dollars. With "Jeeple" (Love that term, Mandy!!) still doing their thing, I'm assuming the small part of the off-roading community that SxS represent, the loss of them would be negligible at best.
But major kudos to Silverton.
9patrickmurphy
14ers: 50  1  2 
13ers: 318 23 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by 9patrickmurphy »

Kiefer wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 11:56 am Having applied for a position in San Miguel County (Town of Silverton), and knowing a bit about the frustratingly backward politics of the town, I'd LOVE to know what the decision process was in the face of potential loss of tourism dollars. With "Jeeple" (Love that term, Mandy!!) still doing their thing, I'm assuming the small part of the off-roading community that SxS represent, the loss of them would be negligible at best.
But major kudos to Silverton.
They probably figure they're getting plenty of tourism as itis and don't need OHVs in town to keep making bank. And they really don't. As silly as I find the whole "Jeeple" aesthetic, I don't mind Jeeps that much. You can't hear them from entire MILES away like OHVs. I'm amazed anybody who is a full-time resident of these towns would vote in favor of letting go karts as loud as chain saws drive by their houses constantly.
RyGuy
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 230 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by RyGuy »

One take away worth mentioning here. This is a good opportunity to help support Silverton since they have a ton of hiking/skiing nearby.
People on the 4 wheeling forums this morning were moaning over and over about how much money Silverton will lose because of this. Silverton has done just fine for MANY years before the ATV/SXS crowd arrived. But tourist dollars are certainly something they do depend on and there certainly will be some impact. But it's the price of having a better standard of living if you live there. That said, it would be amazing to see the SXS/ATV tourists replaced by folks who respect the land, animals and people around Silverton. That's where we come in. Consider planning your next hike around the area. Stop into the stores, buy food and supplies there. We are the kind of tourists the majority of the town would love to have.

-Ryan
"Climbing mountains is the only thing I know that combines the best of the physical, spiritual, and emotional world all rolled into one." -Steve Gladbach
tmud
14ers: 22  1 
13ers: 162 11 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by tmud »

Silverton will be fine. The train is running, hikers will eventually be overrunning s. mineral again, and jeeps will be everywhere. It will be disney world again this summer.
spoony
14ers: 21  14  3 
13ers: 5 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by spoony »

Also potentially relevant to this discussion: https://www.eptrail.com/2021/05/13/sign ... he%20State.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

I don't think they will lose that much business. It's only on city streets that they are banned. Most cities ban them anyway on city streets and only a few allow them.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
supranihilest
14ers: 58  42 
13ers: 709 1 8
Trip Reports (112)

Post by supranihilest »

Scott P wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 1:44 pm I don't think they will lose that much business. It's only on city streets that they are banned. Most cities ban them anyway on city streets and only a few allow them.
This is exactly what I was going to point out, thank you, Scott. OHVs are not banned in San Juan county at large, where most of the OHVing happens. They are only banned on city streets, which is a tiny fraction (and a completely unexciting one, let's be honest) of all 4x4ing available in the area. Heaven forbid [the royal] you can't drive your burly, not-highway-licensed SxS on a paved or graded gravel road. Maybe take it where it's worthy?
Chicago Transplant
14ers: 58  12  24 
13ers: 697 39 34
Trip Reports (66)

Post by Chicago Transplant »

They are just about the only town I know of that ever even allowed non-street legal OHVs on a paved city street anyway. I think they were already only allowed on the main drag because the residents on the side streets didn't want them ripping by their house?

People come out with big RVs and leave the RV and pick up truck they towed it with in the campground and drive around in the OHV instead because its easy for them. Silverton was nice enough to let them do so. They can just take the pick up into town, or walk the .2 miles from one of the 3 CGs right out side of town. If they camp up S Mineral they had to do that anyway because 550 is a federal highway and they couldn't ride the OHV on it anyway.

To me this is a long overdue correction that will make the town more pleasant for everyone else. I am now more likely to eat out in town restaurants than in recent years as a result. =D> (fixed typo)
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day