Silverton city limits OHV/SxS ban

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
RyGuy
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 230 4
Trip Reports (1)

Silverton city limits OHV/SxS ban

Post by RyGuy »

Good news out of Silverton last night. The town finally stood up for itself and banned OHV's from city limits starting in 30 days.

For anyone who has spent a lot of time in the San Juans, I think most folks will agree the area has been completely overrun with SxS\ATV's, especially the last few years. It's good to see there be solid steps to try and curb the hordes.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/SanJuan ... 997408483/

-Ryan
"Climbing mountains is the only thing I know that combines the best of the physical, spiritual, and emotional world all rolled into one." -Steve Gladbach
Bombay2Boulder
14ers: 56  3 
13ers: 269 1
Trip Reports (4)

Re: Silverton city limits OHV/SxS ban

Post by Bombay2Boulder »

I totally get where the locals are coming from. Last year was an utter s**t show in the town with the over speeding OHVs/noise and large groups of ohvs just taking over the town roads. And for people salty about this, Silverton and Lake City were the exception to the no OHVs in towns rule, not the norm in Colorado. Lake City still allows it.
Last edited by Bombay2Boulder on Wed May 19, 2021 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
cottonmountaineering
14ers: 58  7  18 
13ers: 178 38 31
Trip Reports (1)

Post by cottonmountaineering »

I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of Texans suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced
Iguru
14ers: 18 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Iguru »

So, does this mean a daily driver OHV like my lifted Jeep Cherokee can't drive through town anymore? I can see banning ATV's and SxS's, but ANY 4x4?
OHV includes Jeeps according to my OHV regulations handbook.
I gotta get me an Avatar.
dwoodward13
14ers: 58  12 
13ers: 157 6
Trip Reports (1)

Post by dwoodward13 »

Iguru wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 8:30 am So, does this mean a daily driver OHV like my lifted Jeep Cherokee can't drive through town anymore? I can see banning ATV's and SxS's, but ANY 4x4?
I suspect they are banning non-street legal OHVs. I assume your Jeep is street legal, therefore you have nothing to worry about.
Last edited by dwoodward13 on Wed May 19, 2021 8:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
RyGuy
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 230 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by RyGuy »

cottonmountaineering wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 8:22 am I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of Texans suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced
Winning quote of the day! But yes...you could sustain the flow of the Rio Grande right now with all the comments on several of the 4 wheeling groups I follow.
Last edited by RyGuy on Wed May 19, 2021 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Climbing mountains is the only thing I know that combines the best of the physical, spiritual, and emotional world all rolled into one." -Steve Gladbach
Iguru
14ers: 18 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Iguru »

dwoodward13 wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 8:35 am
Iguru wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 8:30 am So, does this mean a daily driver OHV like my lifted Jeep Cherokee can't drive through town anymore? I can see banning ATV's and SxS's, but ANY 4x4?
I suspect they are banning non-street legal vehicles. I assume your Jeep is street legal, therefore you have nothing to worry about.
That makes sense. Thanks.
I gotta get me an Avatar.
Bale
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Bale »

Moab locals have been pushing for noise, speed limit, and curfew ordinances for a while. I get that the SxS crowd is a big part of tourism dollars, but it’s just getting too much. My question is who made these things street-legal? My Dad has one and you have to wear ear plugs to go for a ride.
Sort of like snowmobiles in Jellystone and jet skis in Tahoe, a few is ok, but soon come the hordes and the ensuing sh!t-show.
The earth, like the sun, like the air, belongs to everyone - and to no one. - Edward Abbey
jmanner
14ers: 58  28  10 
13ers: 55 14 3
Trip Reports (15)

Post by jmanner »

cottonmountaineering wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 8:22 am I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of Texans suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced
=D> :lol:
A man has got to know his limitations.-Dr. Jonathan Hemlock or Harry Callahan or something F' it: http://youtu.be/lpzqQst-Sg8

'Life is too short to ski groomers'

"That man's only desire was to stand, once only, on the summit of that glorious wedge of rock...I think anyone who loves the mountains as much as that can claim to be a mountaineer, too."-Hermann Buhl, Nanga Parbat Pilgrimage
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

Maybe the OHV'ers will hold a protest and keep the town hostage. Give it a "Mad Max in the Mountains" kinda feel. "WHO RUNS OHVTOWN?!"
Reg0928
14ers: 58 
13ers: 253 2 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Reg0928 »

Granted I don't live there so I won't feel whatever economic impact the change may have, but I'm all for it. I dig the Jeep/off-road community, but man those SxS's are just obnoxious.
Bombay2Boulder
14ers: 56  3 
13ers: 269 1
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Bombay2Boulder »

justiner wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 10:02 am Maybe the OHV'ers will hold a protest and keep the town hostage. Give it a "Mad Max in the Mountains" kinda feel. "WHO RUNS OHVTOWN?!"
Oh dude, I have already seen some people put out "All OHV/ATVs matter" 🤮
Just glad I don't have FB, the diarrhoea out there will be annoying.