BelOxMO Camp

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
mikendevon7
Trip Reports (0)

BelOxMO Camp

Post by mikendevon7 »

Newbie alert!
Okay, my teenage son and I are looking to do some adventuring in Colorado this summer, late July. Seeing the issues with the Decalibron, I was looking for alternatives in the area. Belford, Oxford, Missouri seemed like a good combo hike. That's a lot of miles and elevation gain for a couple of flatlanders (KS). I was thinking of going to peak MO, coming back down to camp in the bowl below and then get Belford and Oxford the next day. We'd either pack out or maybe stay another day depending on how we feel. I noticed that the bowl below MO is at over 12,000, can we even camp there? Or would it be better to retreat to the treeline instead? This will add a good chunk of miles to our second day, but might be worth it for better camping digs. Is anybody out there in the know on this?

I'm very thankful for this website! I'm spending way too much time here with you folks lately, but the info is so good. I hope to be able to contribute some day.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Re: BelOxMO Camp

Post by Scott P »

You can camp near the old cabin R in some of the sheltered places above timberline. There's a few sheltered hollows above timberline; just have a good tent and stay in a low spot (because of possible lightning).
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
cottonmountaineering
14ers: 58  7  18 
13ers: 178 38 31
Trip Reports (1)

Post by cottonmountaineering »

yep theres a lot of places to camp there, it might be a fitful nights sleep if youre coming from kansas though due to the high elevation
highpilgrim
14ers: 58 
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

Scott P wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 8:25 am You can camp near the old cabin R in some of the sheltered places above timberline. There's a few sheltered hollows above timberline; just have a good tent and stay in a low spot (because of possible lightning).
At around 11K just as the trail leaves timber there are boulder and bush sheltered camping spots that aren't visible from below. Secure and with a great view. Up to climbers left as you ascend.
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
9patrickmurphy
14ers: 50  1  2 
13ers: 318 23 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by 9patrickmurphy »

highpilgrim wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 8:37 am
Scott P wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 8:25 am You can camp near the old cabin R in some of the sheltered places above timberline. There's a few sheltered hollows above timberline; just have a good tent and stay in a low spot (because of possible lightning).
At around 11K just as the trail leaves timber there are boulder and bush sheltered camping spots that aren't visible from below. Secure and with a great view. Up to climbers left as you ascend.
I believe in recent years there have been some signs put up advising these spots as off-limits to campers. Just at and below treeline near the cabin is a lot of wind-protected camping options.
dlloydjoneskc
14ers: 33 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by dlloydjoneskc »

mikendevon7 wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 8:22 am Newbie alert!
Okay, my teenage son and I are looking to do some adventuring in Colorado this summer, late July. Seeing the issues with the Decalibron, I was looking for alternatives in the area. Belford, Oxford, Missouri seemed like a good combo hike. That's a lot of miles and elevation gain for a couple of flatlanders (KS). I was thinking of going to peak MO, coming back down to camp in the bowl below and then get Belford and Oxford the next day. We'd either pack out or maybe stay another day depending on how we feel. I noticed that the bowl below MO is at over 12,000, can we even camp there? Or would it be better to retreat to the treeline instead? This will add a good chunk of miles to our second day, but might be worth it for better camping digs. Is anybody out there in the know on this?

I'm very thankful for this website! I'm spending way too much time here with you folks lately, but the info is so good. I hope to be able to contribute some day.
I did this route a few falls ago. Hiked in late afternoon and camped at the old cabin just below treeline. Woke up and did Missouri. Then took Elkhead Pass over to Belford. Went over to Oxford and then came back over Belford and took standard route down to where we camped. We stayed another night, but you could hike out from there. It's about 2 miles from the TH into where we camped and when we did the peaks it was 12.5 miles and about 5,700 feet in vertical. IMO, if you are looking to do all three, pack-in and camp at least one night
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

Camp at the mini cemetery you pass hiking up. It's totally not haunted at all.
WVMountaineer
14ers: 58  4 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by WVMountaineer »

justiner wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 10:34 am Camp at the mini cemetery you pass hiking up. It's totally not haunted at all.
Where is this located? I didn't notice a mini cemetery on either of the 4 times I've apparently walked by it.
"There are two ways to measure life; the number of days you simply exist or the number of days you spend truly living your human experience." 14ers.com user goingup
two lunches
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (0)

Post by two lunches »

WVMountaineer wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 10:42 am
justiner wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 10:34 am Camp at the mini cemetery you pass hiking up. It's totally not haunted at all.
Where is this located? I didn't notice a mini cemetery on either of the 4 times I've apparently walked by it.
it's just immediately to hikers left behind the parking area. easy to miss in the dark

but justin i really hope you have a good story about this
“To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” – Mary Davis
WVMountaineer
14ers: 58  4 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by WVMountaineer »

stephakett wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 10:45 am
WVMountaineer wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 10:42 am
it's just immediately to hikers left behind the parking area. easy to miss in the dark

but justin i really hope you have a good story about this
Thank you! There's a UFO thread, maybe there needs to be a ghost story thread :lol:
"There are two ways to measure life; the number of days you simply exist or the number of days you spend truly living your human experience." 14ers.com user goingup