Ice Lakes Closed This Summer

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
WishIWasInTheMts
14ers: 36 
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (0)

Ice Lakes Closed This Summer

Post by WishIWasInTheMts »

And not for the first reason you might think. Probably a blessing as it'll be good to let that area recover after last year's influx of people

Edit: From a trailhead and route difficulty perspective, how will this impact access Vermillion, et. al.?

https://theknow.denverpost.com/2021/05/ ... re/259656/
dwoodward13
14ers: 58  12 
13ers: 157 6
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Ice Lakes Closed This Summer

Post by dwoodward13 »

You can still hike into the basin via Swamp Canyon trail over the saddle with V2/US Grant that drops into Island Lake and then over to Ice. Stats wise, its only a mile and a half more and ~500' of extra gain, although I don't think the trail is as well defined in Swamp.

The Basin itself is not closed, just the areas below treeline. Map: https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DO ... 915774.pdf.

IMO if you ever wanted to go there, this is the year.
two lunches
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (0)

Post by two lunches »

what a blessing. that area could use a freakin' break!
“To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” – Mary Davis
12ersRule
14ers: 58 
13ers: 157
Trip Reports (4)

Post by 12ersRule »

You can tag Vermilion from the west. Lake Fork San Miguel TH. Roach's book has a nice description.

Hope the area heals up. We'll be seeing a lot of closures up north due to the East Troublesome and Cameron Peak fires. Those closures are very understandable compared to the Altitude/XFinity/Dish Network 2 years running feud. It's even impacting the playoffs now. NBA Network, which I freakin' pay for, is carrying Game 3 of the Nuggets@Blazers but historically those games have been blacked out on NBA Network for whatever reason.
quackquackcolorado
13ers: 228
Trip Reports (0)

Post by quackquackcolorado »

The north side of the V2/US Grant saddle is sketchy. I went down it following the Hardrock a few years ago, and I couldn't believe that's the route runners take. It's loose as hell. But it's probably a good year to visit Ice Lakes for the dedicated who's willing to jump over the ridge somewhere.
WishIWasInTheMts
14ers: 36 
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (0)

Post by WishIWasInTheMts »

Good tips in here, thanks for the insights. Glad that the area is going to have a chance to re-coup.
XterraRob
14ers: 42  7 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (4)

Post by XterraRob »

The waterfalls in the area are amazing. One of my favorite times ever in the Santa de Juans. Crowded AF though.
RIP - M56
Re-introduce Grizzly Bears into the Colorado Wilderness™
terrysrunning
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 71
Trip Reports (0)

Post by terrysrunning »

quackquackcolorado wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 5:17 pm The north side of the V2/US Grant saddle is sketchy. I went down it following the Hardrock a few years ago, and I couldn't believe that's the route runners take. It's loose as hell.
"Loose as hell" is generous. I hate to see that route even mentioned because it definitely can't handle a lot of people trying to make it the standard route with access from the other side shut down. Hopefully just getting to Chapman at the bottom of it is hard enough to dissuade most people.
"My life is dope, and I do dope s**t" -Kanye
bdwyer
13ers: 640
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bdwyer »

Been in Ice Lake, day hiking and camping and peak bagging numerous times. I LOVE it. I hope the closure effort lets it heal some.

Had hoped to do V10 and Grizzly A via a backpack from near Bandora Mine or further in (Tacoma) this year, but assume entry this way is part of the closure. If anyone knows (and is interested in this) let me know. Can always go up via Purgatory to do these, but...
DaveLanders
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DaveLanders »

bdwyer wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:42 pm
Had hoped to do V10 and Grizzly A via a backpack from near Bandora Mine or further in (Tacoma) this year, but assume entry this way is part of the closure. If anyone knows (and is interested in this) let me know. Can always go up via Purgatory to do these, but...
There is a road (I think it's 579) which goes north high on the west side of the Cascade Creek valley and tees with the Rico-Silverton trail. The road is rough but should be no problem for a Tacoma. Grizzly and V10 are reasonable day hikes from the end of the road
Every village has at least one idiot. Successful villages choose someone else to be their leader.
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

DaveLanders wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 5:14 pm
There is a road (I think it's 579) which goes north high on the west side of the Cascade Creek valley and tees with the Rico-Silverton trail. The road is rough but should be no problem for a Tacoma. Grizzly and V10 are reasonable day hikes from the end of the road
Any idea when the typical melt out is for that road?
DaveLanders
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DaveLanders »

d_baker wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:17 pm
DaveLanders wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 5:14 pm
Any idea when the typical melt out is for that road?
I've been in there twice, but both times were well into August, so I don't know what a typical melt out date would be. With the below normal snowpack in the San Juan's, it could be pretty early this year
Every village has at least one idiot. Successful villages choose someone else to be their leader.