Wheeler Geologic Area Vehicle, Thoughts

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
handonbroward
14ers: 42 
13ers: 46
Trip Reports (5)

Re: Wheeler Geologic Area Vehicle, Thoughts

Post by handonbroward »

IntrepidXJ wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:56 pm
Jay521 wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:20 pm Been a while (a long while) since I've been there but as I recall, you can hike that road (or at least the trail that sorta follows it) about as fast as you can drive it.
The road is about 14 miles long and the hiking trail is about 7 miles. I drove it in an hour and a half a few years ago in a Jeep.
How does it actually compare as a 4WD drive road? Are we talking like Engineer Pass, or Imogene Pass? Can't seem to dig up a legitimate description / rating without having to pay for a subscription.

Thanks!
"I hurt, therefore I am" - Barry Blanchard
IntrepidXJ
14ers: 34 
13ers: 63
Trip Reports (90)

Post by IntrepidXJ »

handonbroward wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:43 am
IntrepidXJ wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:56 pm
Jay521 wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:20 pm Been a while (a long while) since I've been there but as I recall, you can hike that road (or at least the trail that sorta follows it) about as fast as you can drive it.
The road is about 14 miles long and the hiking trail is about 7 miles. I drove it in an hour and a half a few years ago in a Jeep.
How does it actually compare as a 4WD drive road? Are we talking like Engineer Pass, or Imogene Pass? Can't seem to dig up a legitimate description / rating without having to pay for a subscription.

Thanks!
I honestly don't remember much about the road (except that it was annoyingly bumpy), which means it probably wasn't too bad as far as 4WD roads go...
Randy Langstraat | ADVENTR.co
PI Joe
14ers: 3 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by PI Joe »

i drove to Wheeler about eight years ago. I remember the road to be long and slow due to deep ruts and muddy areas. There are no "technical" challenges that would make it attractive to the regular offroad crowd. It is just a long slow slog to get there.